Making Art Out Of The Apocalypse
About two years ago, the creator of the Dystopia Rising RPG and LARP universe sat down with an amazing artist and writer, talking about an idea for a graphic novel based in the Dystopia Rising universe. Wanting to make a story based on a hardened crew of women from Old York, the idea caught fire at the table.
Over the next year and a half the project was written, rewritten, edited, changed, sketched, designed, and eventually got to the point where it was nearly ready for layout and release.
And that is where we are today.
This is an amazing story is visually brought to life by the artwork of Lou Boyer, written by Ian Powell, and conceptually designed and based in the world created by Michael Pucci.
This project is already 85% ready for layout, with all of the pages already sketched, inked, colored, and having their final treatments done before going into layout.
So please, take a few minutes to take a glance at the world of Dystopia Rising if you don't know it. Follow the link to Lou Boyer's quick gallery, and take a moment to review the publication histories for Ian Powell and Michael Pucci. Backing this project is very little risk and will provide you with what we feel are some really nice rewards.
The Comic Story Synopsis
Dystopia Rising - Grave Decisions is a story that follows what is potentially one of the worst case scenarios for a mercenary deal gone wrong. Our stories protagonists, Sheena, Yelena, and Lola, are a handful of Old York survivors who get caught up in a plot intertwining greed, religious zealotry, and high risk operations in the post-apocalyptic world of Dystopia Rising.
Dystopia Rising is a world that takes place many generations after the zombie apocalypse, where humanity has remembered as much as it has forgotten about the ways of the old world. This story arc intertwines with the canon of the game world in both the table top and LARP timelines, providing an incredible story from the Dystopia Rising universe.
The Sweet, Sweet, Rewards.
HOLY COW WE FUNDED IN A DAY!
With us funding so quickly we want to start putting out some adorable and fun thank yous extra rewards for every new benchmark we hit. You can still find all of the details about your base rewards below, but for ease of reading, we are going to put our stretch goals right here on top!
In addition to helping a comic book come to life that focuses on a group of badass female protagonists, you will be getting some SWEET rewards for helping make this comic come to life. Take a look below (and more importantly look again when you are donating to make this happen when you click which backer level you want) and see what amazing goods you can get for helping make this come to life.
- THANK YOU! Our heartfelt thank you! I appreciate you helping make graphic novel a reality. You will be able to keep up on the progress via our updates and see this project become a reality!
- If you are able to donate at this level, we will add you to the list of amazing backers thanked in the graphic novel. As a backer of the arts we appreciate you helping us make this story come to life.
- Here we go survivors! At this backing level not only are you going to get your name in the graphic novel itself, but you will also get a digital copy of the completed graphic novel! Thank you for helping us make this project become a reality!
- Now we are making a mark in the apocalypse. If you can help us with support at $40 we will put your name in the graphic novel as a backer and ship you a hard copy of the book anywhere in the world.
- Why hello there! Want to get the hard copy of the book for storage but read the digital version? Then step right up, this is the support level for you. At $50 you get the hard copy of the graphic novel, the digital copy of the graphic novel, and your name in the book as a backer!
- This is where we get to some of the limited run pieces available to only Kickstarter backers. If you are able to support us with a backing of $90 we will provide you with the digital version of the graphic novel, the hard copy of the graphic novel signed by Lou, Ian, and Michael as well as a set of character design prints used in the initial stages of the project when we were finding the visual design and the voice of the characters.
- Another very limited availability piece, with a slightly longer deadline due to your involvement in the work. If you are able to support us with a backing of $175 we will provide you with the digital version of the graphic novel, the hard copy of the graphic novel signed by Lou, Ian, and Michael, as well as something very special. At $175 you will have your likeness (or the likeness of one person of your choosing) done as a custom art piece as if they were a part of the story! This custom art will be sent to you digitally.
- Given that this level of backing requires communication from you, the backers, we are asking for additional time to complete the full project. You will get your digital and hard copies delivered with everyone else, but the custom artwork will take more time.
- When the project goes to layout and we get our initial prints in, there will be a handful of copies that we use for notation of changes that need to be made before the project goes to bulk print. The hard copies of these prints are known as the proofs, and there are only a small handful of these that will ever exist. For $500 support you can have one of 3 copies of the proofs used before the project goes to print. The will be bruised, battered, notated, and signed by Lou, Ian, and Michael and there will only be 3 of these books released to the world and 3 kept in house.
- With this backing level you will also get a digital copy of the graphic novel, a standard print copy of the graphic novel (signed or not, your choice).
Risks and challenges
The biggest risk and challenge in completing this project is funding the print production of the comic. At this point we have been working on this project for a while and are just short of the final stages of creation.
This will be our approximately 25th publication under the Eschaton Media logo. While this is our first comic, which may carry hiccups that we do not anticipate, we are familiar with the process of publishing and expect mostly smooth sailing. Save for the potential of catastrophic events, unforeseen artistic delays, or alien invasion, we for see very few potential issues or hold-ups.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)