About this project
Hey everybody – Let's hit the beach!
We made our goal with just hours to spare but we can't stop now.
Any money we raise above and beyond $30k will go toward translating the app to Spanish and reaching even more people! See our update for more info and we can't wait to see you at the beach party! Thank you thank you thank you!!
Wanna find & enjoy the best beaches in the world?
Angelenos, Californians, nature lovers and everyone -- let's open up the legendary 27 miles of Malibu beaches once and for all!
Did you know there's no such thing as an all-private beach in California? Even though 20 of Malibu's 27 miles of coastline are lined with private development, there's a heck of a lot of beach for you, your friends, all of us to enjoy.
But here's the thing. A lot of this coast – as gorgeous as it is – has been notoriously hard to find and enjoy.
We've made an app that'll show you exactly where each public access point is up and down the Malibu Coast. It helps you park – ID those fake cones and fake garages. It tells you which signs you can smile at and ignore.
It even walks you down each beach – house-by-house – to show you where on each beach you hang all day on the dry sand.
Who are we?
Jenny Price is a writer, artist and environmental historian, and she's worked for public beach access in Malibu for years, both solo and with the LA Urban Rangers.
Together, we've created the definitive guide -- with tons of info you can't get on Yelp, Trip Advisor, Google Maps, or anywhere else online.
Now, we want everyone to have it. EVERYONE.
And that's where you, the Kickstarter community, come in. If our campaign is successful, Escape Apps will do two things:
1. Make the app free for everyone to download all summer long.
2. Get an Android version out this summer.
That's right, while you're out there enjoying these great beaches, we'll be hunched over our computers, making sure even more of you can enjoy these great beaches.
And if you guys are super awesome, and we raise even more than our goal, we're gonna keep giving away the app for as long as possible. Really, this information should be free. Help us make it happen.
A few notes.
We just unveiled two new rewards and our t-shirt designs!
T-shirts are blue or gold in men's or women's cut -- you'll get your choice of design, style and size when the campaign ends.
We're also offering this really cool poster by artist and graphic designer Marty Kenney – pick it up on poster paper ($60) or a limited-edition archival quality print ($150).
And finally -- we have a new beach bag ($30) for carrying all your gear this summer.
We've also received a ton of amazing press – please share these links and let people know why you're supporting us!
More about our rewards:
1. Every supporter is AUTOMATICALLY invited to our launch party on the beach. It's happening in June. Jenny will be there. The California Coastal Commission will be there. We're gonna hang out, party and get some expert advice on getting the most from our beaches.
2. For $100, Jenny will take you and a pal on a very special Malibu beach tour. There is a ton of info we couldn't put into the app for a lot of complicated reasons, so prepared to be wowed. Seriously, it's gonna be awesome.
3. For our business friends who want us to build them an app, that flat fee gets you a fully customized build-out of the Escape Apps Basic or Deluxe Travel App Package. Depending on your needs, you may want even more customization, which could run into additional dev and/or hosting fees. But we'll be really upfront about that and try really hard to honor that flat fee. Email email@example.com with your questions.
You're awesome. We love you.
Honestly, we're just so excited to get this app to you. We've been working on it a long time. It's going to be great and we thank you so much for your support.
Risks and challenges
The iphone version of our app is already working great and approved by Apple. Making it free means pushing a few buttons – no risk there.
Our biggest challenge is developing the Android version as quickly as possible. We're going to work our butts off to get it out by August. But if for whatever reason that can't happen, you'll still have tons of great beach days in September, which is always super hot. Then, Santa Anas kick in in October for fall and winter beach days. And, of course next summer'll be here before you know it!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (28 days)