A competitive PvP-focused action RPG for your PC or Mac
A competitive PvP-focused action RPG for your PC or Mac Read more
What is Eternal Fate?
Eternal Fate is a labor of love that we've been working on for about a year. We are huge fans of Action RPG games and have been disappointed with lack of competitive gamplay in most games in the genre. We set out to fix that.
Our goal with Eternal Fate was to create a PC and Mac game that felt like our favorite action RPG games, yet had a level of organized competitive play traditionally found in online first person action games.
(Updated) What specific elements does Eternal Fate employ from FPS titles or action RPG games? Here are a few key elements:
- The core gameplay, combat experience, and play perspective is very much akin to Torchlight or Diablo.
- You can control your characters using WSAD controls similar to most FPS titles, or using click to move like Diablo or Torchlight. Pick your favorite control scheme and crack some skulls!
- Eternal Fate features leveling/unlocking curves that don’t scale damage as you level. This way, you can always matchmake with your friends and other players regardless of their current level. PvP battles are fair and even.
- Our player movement paradigm is very quick and responsive. Player characters move fluidly and quickly through the world with tight responsive controls.
Quakecon 2012 Raw gameplay footage:
Eternal Fate allows you to create and customize your own characters. Unlike many competitive online games, your character is persistent and will level up as you gain experience. As you level up, you will unlock new spells, gear, and abilities so that your play style can be constantly evolving.
Weapons and Gear
There is a near endless selection of gear and weapon combinations in Eternal Fate. You gain access to these weapons by leveling up or finding them in treasure chests during normal gameplay. There are also limited edition weapons and gear that are available to players, such as the limited edition Kickstarter gear!
(Updated) Our influences from shooters that trump standard RPG conventions:
- Weapons and Loadouts: As you play Eternal Fate you earn weapons, gear, armor, spells, skills and abilities that you can use to loadout your persistent character. In most RPGs equipping these items would usually dramatically increase your capabilities over lower level players. That’s not the case in Eternal Fate. In this way, we are more like modern shooters. The weapons and items you earn are more like sidegrades. In Eternal Fate, players earn gear over time and can equip their characters with loadouts that will change potential damage and affordances by 5-10%. Essentially becoming paper to your opponent’s rock.
- When you die, you can swap between multiple customized loadouts per respawn. Create custom loadouts from earned spells, abilities, weapons, and streaks allowing you to create customized builds like stealth, crowd control, damage, speed, and more. We aren't aware of any other PvP ARPG that applies this kind of per-spawn modern shooter mechanic.
Collectibles and Power-Ups
During gameplay you will receive loot drops when you eliminate an enemy or find a treasure chest. Additionally, you will find power-ups scattered across the levels that will help you turn the tide of battle.
The art in eternal fate is inspired by classic console RPGs while still taking advantage of all the latest rendering tricks found on the PC and Mac. You'll discover peaceful islands, deserted deserts, and spooky graveyards as you battle with and against friends and foes.
Who are you guys?
We're a team of veteran game developers who have individually worked on hit titles such as Borderlands, Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, and many others. We've been together as a team for around five years and to date we've primarily done work for hire projects for other companies. We have been trusted to build products for industry leading companies such as id Software, Sega, EA, and Warner Bros. We've invested the bulk of our profits back into Eternal Fate. It's time for us to "level-up" and start making and releasing games for ourselves.
When will the game be done?
Eternal Fate has been in development for around a year. We are targeting a digital distribution launch later this year (late fall/early winter 2012).
Why should you care?
We think we're onto something with Eternal Fate. Anyone who is a fan of action RPG games has surely thought about what it would be like to join forces with a friend and go up against other human players rather than swarms of AI demons. Mindless grinding can be fun, but sometimes we need the challenge that only other real players can deliver.
This game isn't coming from Mega Game Corp. It's being developed by serious game players who are probably much like you. We are hard core gamers who also happen to make games for a living. By backing this project you are essentially joining the team and will help contribute to a game that we think has the potential to be something pretty special.
What will the money be used for?
Making games is fun, but it sure isn't cheap! We've invested a lot of our own money into this project and we're reaching a point where additional funds are going to be needed in order to keep the team at its current size and hit our goal of releasing the game later this year. Any funds we raise will go directly back into Eternal Fate and will help with the game's completion and support.
Will there be a beta?
Yes! We are planning a closed beta this fall. Backers will get "front of the line" treatment for access into the beta.
What games inspired you to make Eternal Fate?
Pretty much any ARPG or FPS game. The titles we most frequently discuss include: (Updated)
- Diablo series (Play perspective, core RPG gameplay, leveling)
- Torchlight (Play perspective, core RPG gameplay, leveling)
- Call of Duty Multiplayer (WSAD controls, flat leveling curves, unlocks, game modes, per-spawn loadouts)
- Team Fortress II (Sidegrade weapons, game modes, per-spawn loadouts)
- Battlefield 2/3 (Meta unlocks, game modes)
What platforms will the game be on?
You will be able to play Eternal Fate on your PC or Mac.
Is there an online community where I can learn more about the game?
- (30 days)