For the Love of Board Games is a book that explores how modern, popular board games were created by interviewing the designers behind the games. Stories in this book come from some of the industry’s biggest board game designers: Matt Leacock, Jamey Stegmaier, Bruno Cathala, Richard Garfield, Reiner Knizia, and many others.
Every chapter features a different board game designer and discusses not only the inspiration behind the game(s) they designed but how they started playing board games and got involved in the industry.
Designers will also reveal stories about board games they designed, but never published!
Readers will discover the fun facts and challenges behind some of their favorite board games and be able to catch an exciting glimpse of the designer’s future plans. Full of exclusive interviews and never-before-told stories, For the Love of Board Games is a must-have gift for tabletop gamers of all ages.
- Matt Leacock: Pandemic
- Bruno Cathala: Five Tribes, Kingdomino
- Antoine Bauza: Hanabi, 7 Wonders, Takenoko
- Seiji Kanai: Love Letter
- Bernd Brunnhofer: Stone Age, Saint Petersburg
- Jonathan Gilmour: Dead of Winter, Dinosaur Island
- Wolfgang Kramer: El Grande
- Jamey Stegmaier: Scythe, Viticulture
- Richard Garfield: Magic: The Gathering, King of Tokyo, Android: Netrunner, RoboRally, Bunny Kingdom
- Dominic Crapuchettes: Wits and Wagers, Evolution, Say Anything
- Phil Walker-Harding: Sushi Go, Imhotep, Barenpark
- Ted Alspach: Suburbia, One Night Ultimate Werewolf, Castles of Mad King Ludwig
- Bruno Faidutti: Citadels, Mission: Red Planet
- Jason Matthews: Twilight Struggle
- Tim Fowers: Burgle Bros., Paperback, Fugitive, Wok Star, Now Boarding
- Martin Wallace: Brass: Lancashire
- Ryan Laukat: Above and Below, Near and Far
- Reiner Knizia: Tigris & Euphrates, Lost Cities
- Shimpei Sato: Onitama
- Alexander Pfister: Great Western Trail, Isle of Skye, Broom Service, Mombasa
- Rodney Thompson: Lords of Waterdeep
- Sébastien Pauchon: Jaipur, Jamaica
- Keith Matejka: Roll Player
- Kane Klenko: FUSE, Flatline, Covert, Dead Men Tell No Tales
- Isaac Childres: Gloomhaven
- Kristian Amundsen Østby: Escape: The Curse of the Temple, Santa Maria
- Evan Derrick: Detective: City of Angels
- Devin Low: Legendary
- Scott Caputo: Whistle Stop
- Emerson Matsuuchi: Century: Spice Road, Specter Ops
- Jeffrey D. Allers: New York Slice
- Alexandr Ushan: Spyfall
- Ken Gruhl and Quentin Weir: Happy Salmon, Monster Match
- Chris Darsaklis: When I Dream
- Roberto Fraga: Captain Sonar, Dr. Eureka
- Bruce Glassco: Betrayal at House on the Hill
- Elizabeth Hargrave: Wingspan
- Jonathan Ying: DOOM, Star Wars: Imperial Assault
- Richard Launius: Arkham Horror, Elder Sign, Defenders of the Realm
- Jacob Fryxelius: Terraforming Mars
- Helge Ostertag: Gaia Project, Terra Mystica
- Walther Gerdts: Concordia
- Daniele Tascini: Tzolk'in, The Voyages of Marco Polo
- Dávid Turczi: Anachrony, Kitchen Rush, Dice Settlers
- Shem Phillips: Raiders of the North Sea
- Michael Schacht: Zooloretto, Coloretto
- Geoff Engelstein: Pit Crew, Space Cadets
- Glenn Drover: Railways of the World
- Åse and Henrik Berg: Rattus, Oregon
- Marco Canetta and Stefania Niccolini: ZhanGuo, Railroad Revolution
- Carla Kopp: Stellar Leap
- Sen-Foong Lim: Junk Art
- Don Eskridge: The Resistance
Click here for a sample chapter. This one is about the man, the myth, the legend, Richard Garfield!
The book is over two-thirds of the way written. Bookbaby will be printing the book and Miniature Market will be in charge of shipping the books to our backers. We have also budgeted some of the funds from this campaign to hire a professional copy editor to make sure the book is as polished as possible.
The cover and all the book’s portraits have been illustrated by Robert Felton Schilling III. Robert is a character designer and illustrator based in South Florida.
So, all in all, the risk for this project is very low. We hope you decide to back our Kickstarter today. :)
Crowd Surfing on the Dice Tower: https://youtu.be/bhVXirl79hs?t=5m29s
Girls Play Games:
Gamer Leaf Podcast:
The Thoughtful Gamer:
Board Game Impact:
Board with Life:
We're Not Wizards:
Board Games Outsider:
We will send a survey to the email associated with your Kickstarter account using the CrowdOx pledge manager system. You will be able to choose your add-on orders and provide your shipping information at that time. You will also be able to upgrade your pledge at https://app.crowdox.com/projects/erindean/for-the-love-of-board-games-a-book-for-board-gamer
Growing up, Erin Dean played traditional mass market games, like Monopoly, Life, and Clue. In high school, she was gifted Ticket to Ride and that is when she fell in love with the board gaming hobby.
In the past, she has worked at Pieces: The St. Louis Board Game Bar & Cafe as a Game Navigator, as well as, Genius Games, a St. Louis board game publishing company, as a Video Intern. She is currently the Social Media Manager for Lucky Duck Games. In the Spring of 2017, Erin released a short board game documentary on YouTube called, "The Board Game Boom," which has over 30,000 organic views so far.
For the Love of Board Games is Erin's first book and a huge passion project for her. She hopes her book will help readers discover fun facts and stories behind some of their favorite designers and their board games.
Vaughn Reynolds has played a crucial part to this Kickstarter campaign. His marketing and graphic design experience has helped tremendously and we could not have done this project without him.
Risks and challenges
The risks on this project are very low. The book is almost completely written and all the illustrations for the book are done. Printing and shipping services have also been arranged.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)