This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by .
Oh Joy Sex Toy: Volume 4
Oh Joy Sex Toy: Volume 4
The 4th printed standalone collection of Oh Joy Sex Toy! A free sex ed & sex toy review webcomic by Erika Moen, Matt Nolan & Guests!
The 4th printed standalone collection of Oh Joy Sex Toy! A free sex ed & sex toy review webcomic by Erika Moen, Matt Nolan & Guests! Read more
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by .
About this project
- “A great and hilarious resource - some of the best sex ed out there!” - Dan Savage
- "Best thing since the Hitachi Magic Wand!" - Searah, Early to Bed
- “Erika Moen is fucking amazing and Oh Joy Sex Toy will change your life for the better.” PhD Emily Nagoski
- Vol 3 Received *Starred* Reviews at BOTH Publishers Weekly and Library Journal!
- (more quotes and accolades can be found on our Press page!)
Erika Moen and Matthew Nolan's Oh Joy Sex Toy is a free weekly sex education webcomic! It covers everything sex-related including sexuality, the sex industry, sex toys, adult workshops, birth control and much more. With the aid of guest contributors giving us as many diverse perspectives as possible, we strive to be relevant to a wide variety of genders, body types, and sexualities.
A Fourth Volume! What is This?
Each year we collect our online comics into a beautiful, hefty, physical book. We've now made 3 books through Kickstarter and this year we want to make another!
So far Volume 4 looks to be about 308 pages. It's going to be a 10" x 7" full color book with a spot gloss soft cover that has fancy french flaps and some sweet, thick paper stock. We don't like to skimp on materials - so this is going to be a really pleasurable book to hold and read.
All of the comics we published between April 2016 - April 2017 will be in this volume. Scroll through our archive page to check out which subjects we and our guest artists covered! We're crazy happy with this last year's worth of comics and we both think this'll be our best book yet.
Every volume is self-contained and stand-alone. So you don't need to have the other volumes for this one to make sense! There's no on-going story or character development you need to track, each book is a collection of short, self-contained comics about sex, sex toys and sex education.
Because it's the bessssst for making book dreams happen!
YOU get the book before anyone else, plus you'll get the super exclusive, limited edition cover that won't be available to the mainstream book market. AND you help support the comic and keep us making sex ed comics for another year.
WE get to know exactly how many copies of the books we'll need to make, plus these Kickstarter-funded books are the ones we actually financially support ourselves on. The money we make on these specific books is the money that we'll live on!
We will be working with our amazing pals at Limerence Press to access their printing and book store distribution resources. They'll create different retail cover copies of the book just for libraries and comic, sex, and book shops - a market we don't have access to without their help!
Even with Limerence Press helping us get distributed into libraries and stores, we still need your help to make and pay for our own exclusive, limited-edition copies (with a unique cover just for Kickstarter). These books we sell to you directly online, at conventions, and book signings. These are the books we pay for out of pocket. These are the books that'll get us paid and keep us making comics!
Gimmie a Sneak Peek!
We like to keep things real simple. By supporting us at any level, you’ll be helping us take our comic from the web and turn it all into an awesome sex education book worthy of your bookshelf.
But here's what you can expect for your support:
- $1 - Exclusive Wallpaper: A digital tileable background for your devices! Our way of giving you something back, even if you can only support us with a buck.
- $10 - One PDF: Choose one PDF from V1, V2, V3, and V4! Includes exclusive wallpaper.
- $18 - Two PDFs: Chose any two PDF's from V1, V2, V3 and V4! Includes exclusive wallpaper.
- $25 - One Random Physical Book: Introduction Special! Get one RANDOM physical book from V1, V2, V3, or V4 that we choose for you at a CHEAPER cost than the regular cover price ($30)! Includes a PDF and wallpaper. Our books are stand-alone volumes, so this is a great way to support us if you're brand new to OJST!
- $30 - Volume 4 Physical Book: Get the Volume 4 physical book! This is what this Kickstarter is all about. Includes a PDF and wallpaper!
- $35 - All 4 PDFs: Get all four Oh Joy Sex Toy PDFs and the wallpaper!
- $40 - SIGNED Volume 4 Physical Book: Get the Volume 4 physical book with a signature! Includes a PDF and wallpaper.
- $55 - DOODLED Volume 4 Physical Book: Get the Volume 4 physical book with a basic drawing in it! Includes a PDF and wallpaper.
- $60 - Any TWO Physical Books - Your Choice: Choose any TWO books from V1, V2, V3 and V4. Best option if you're missing a volume or two in your collection. Includes two PDFs and the wallpaper.
- $100 - UNIQUE Volume 4 Physical Book: The fanciest option, get the Volume 4 physical book with a UNIQUE hand drawn sketch of Erika's choice - she likes to go all out on these, and it's the best option if you've ever wanted Erika Moen original art! Includes a PDF and wallpaper.
- $110 - ALL Four Physical Books: Get ALL Four physical Volumes, just a heads up the shipping will be quite high! Includes all the PDFs and wallpaper.
- $285 - BE A MASTURBATEER FOR A DAY: Our highly limited and sought-after Masturbateer slot gets you drawn into a future OJST comic! Includes a Doodled Volume 4 physical book, PDF and wallpaper!
(By pledging at the ‘Be a Masturbateer for a Day’ tier, you’re consenting to let us use your likeness in a future sex-related comic. You may be depicted nude and having sex. You WILL need to sign a permission slip for this! You have been warned!)
Again this year, we'll be using established and experienced Make That Thing for our fulfillment. Shipping will be done by their capable hands! Woop!
And a heads up: all those prices above don't contain the required shipping costs, that's something you'll add on when pledging.
Don't care about rewards, but still want to support our sex positive efforts? Maybe throw us a dollar on Patreon!
In the spirit of keeping things simple, we only have a few basic goals this year.
Ideally, we want to hit $30,000. It's our year-to-year go-to golden number where everything sort of balances out and we no longer have to spend out of pocket for these books.
Then, if things get rolling, we really want to send more than just a few complimentary books to our guest artists. So at $50,000, we will send them each a mailing box's worth (or the cash equivalent).
If we raise EVEN more than that, then yeesh, we'll put even more into our guest artists' pockets. At $65,000 we'll retroactively bump up our page rates by $20 a page for the volume 4 work.
Our Amazing Guest Artists
Almost a full THIRD of the book is dedicated to our paid guest artists. Each of them adds in a different unique voice to the collection, it's what makes OJST so special. We're super proud to showcase their work. If the Kickstarter reaches its bonus goals, we'll be giving our guests free copies of the books and the ability to buy them at cost to sell on their own in stores and at conventions.
Check out this crazy amazing line up:
- Niki Smith - Boot Blacking & Wax
- Sarah Winifred Searle - A Work In Progress
- Kickingshoes - A Night In
- Stormy - How to Survive a Dungeon Party
- Kazimir Lee - Pegging
- Grey White - Fursuits
- Matuska - Murrsuits
- Kino - Edging
- Capp - Vestibulodynia
- Vicky Leta - Talking Mental Illness
- Daz - Curved Penis
- Ray Nadine - Piercings
- Glitchedpuppet - Play Talk
- Mady G - Appearances
- Sicklyhypnos - Ballbusting
- Genevieve FT - Lingerie
- TeMeL - 24/7 BDSM
- Alex Reeder - Puppy Play
- PannaN - Kupala Night
- Ariel Vittori - Aftercare
If you've managed to read your way all the way here: Thank you so much for looking at and backing our Kickstarter! We can't do what we do without and you and we're constantly humbled every year you guys help us. Thank you.
We're Erika and Matt! We're in our early 30s and we love the world of sex. We've been running OJST for four years with the support of our fans. It is our full time job!
Together we write and edit every comic. Erika is responsible for all the drawing while Matthew colors them and handles all the other business bits.
Erika is a 18 year comics veteran in Portland, OR. Her work has been published by Dark Horse Comics, Image Comics, Villard, BOOM! Studios, Penny Arcade, Scholastic, and Limerence Press, among many others.
After half a decade working as an experienced 3D game artist, Matt made the switch to comics 3 years ago and hasn't looked back. He works at home with their cat Flapjack.
Licenses and Thanks
Some thanks to a few people for helping make this Kickstarter possible.
- Anne Moloney for ANOTHER amazing video, best one yet <3
- Allyson Haller for her freelance book design help.
- Limerence Press for all their help.
- Make That Thing for their fulfillment service.
- Music used in video is "Careless Slow Jam" and belongs to Stuart Moore - a license for use was purchased!
Risks and challenges
This is our FOURTH Kickstarter. Each year we've managed to deliver our rewards BEFORE their due dates and within budget. We're starting to feel like real veterans!
Regardless, we try not to be cocky with confidence. Staying pessimistic and planning for the worst is pretty much our bread and butter.
This year, while we're not worried about anything in particular, we know how all it takes is for one thing to go over budget or for one shipment to get lost for it all to tumble. Because of that we're again making sure to thoroughly plan things out, pad all our figures and margins by about 20%, and surround ourselves with experts, so we have a plan for reference, plenty or room for error, and help abounding if needed.
Make That Thing will again be handling our fulfillment - they've done a great job each year and we've got a lot of faith in them being able to handle your orders again this year.
Limerence will be helping us get the books printed again this year. Other than needing to abide to some deadlines, it's all very hands off - they do a great job of interacting with the printers!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- All gone!