- “Erika Moen is fucking amazing and this book will change your life for the better.” Emily Nagoski, PhD
- "...the sexual education that everyone in the world needs. One of the most queer-friendly, colorful, and out-right positive webcomics out there." Tara Marie, Comics Alliance
- “A great and hilarious resource - some of the best sex ed out there!” - Dan Savage
- Oh Joy Sex Toy received multiple *Starred* Reviews at Publishers Weekly and Library Journal!
- (more quotes and accolades can be found on our Press page!)
That's right, we're finally making a purely 100% sex education book - nothing but 160 pages of sexy comic education collected from the Oh Joy Sex Toy sex ed vaults.
Have you ever had a question about sex, but didn’t know who to ask? Well, we've spent years learning about, talking about, and creating informative comics on a wide variety of aspects on sex on our weekly webcomic Oh Joy Sex Toy. Using comics, jokes, and frank communication, we're here to demystify the world of sex and answer your questions—including the ones you didn't know you had!
In The Basics, the first book of the Drawn to Sex series, we explore the practical side of sex, from what defines sex, to barriers, STI testing, masturbation, and the ins-and-outs (and ins-and-outs) of having sex with other people. All the fundamental stuff!
Pick up this fun book if you’re looking to learn something new, understand sexuality better, or know of someone who might benefit from some judgment-free education.
What IS This?
For the last five years, people have been requesting a book solely of our sex education comics, and we're so happy to finally be able to provide it. Previously, we Kickstarted a collected volume of each year's output (V1, V2, V3, V4), but they contained not just our sex ed, but our sex toy reviews, silly adventure comics, and guest comics as well. Around 200+ pages each, they were impressive tomes of sex-related comics, but not exactly a focused resource for folks looking JUST for the straight-up fundamentals of sex education. The Basics is a collection of just those specific comics that focus squarely on the basics of how bodies work and bone.
This book will be 160 Page, 6 x 9" (with fancy french flaps!) softcover, and full color! We're also gonna give it some spot gloss and some choice paper stock, so it feels good both to read and hold.
Because it’s the absolute greatest for making our book dreams happen! Our previous four books were all brought into the world through the support we received here.
YOU will get a swanky book as quickly as physically possible and get access to our exclusive Kickstarter extras! Plus, you get to help support fun and friendly sex education and our ability to keep making more comics!
WE get to know exactly how many copies of the book we’ll need! Then the income from these Kickstarter-funded books is what'll keep our lights on. The only way we get paid to make this book is through the Kickstarter!
For this book, we'll be working with our rad friends at Limerence Press again. We'd previously worked with them before, and having access to their team, pipeline, and distribution make ALL the difference. Without them, we simply wouldn't be able to get this book into bookstores or libraries!
Even with Limerence Press, we still need your help. This Kickstarter will get us paid to build this book, fill our basement with copies to sell at conventions, and ensure we keep making comics and hiring artists.
We're not gonna waste your time, so this is a back-to-basics Kickstarter. No rolling extras or hundreds of add ons. Just the book, PDF, and some book plates! We'll also offer up some of the previous OJST volumes and the Masturbateer slot to keep it interesting. Easy peasy!
- $1 - Exclusive Wallpaper: Background for your devices! Our way of giving you something back, even if you can only support us with a buck.
- $8 - Book PDF
- $12 - Early Bird Special, PDF and physical book: A cheap first come, first serve option as a thank you for early adopters!
- $20 - The physical book!
- $30 - A Signed physical book
- $40 - TWO physical books: one for you AND a pal.
- $42 - Physical Book AND a random Oh Joy Sex Toy book: This is a great introduction to what we do and a great bang for your buck. The OJST volumes have more comics by us and are filled with guest artist comics as well!
- $50 - A doodled physical book: Comes with a stock sketch drawn by Erika onto a book plate to secure inside your book.
- $100 - A UNIQUE illustration in your physical book: Erika draws a one-of-a-kind illustration onto the book plate for you to secure inside your book!
- $100 - FIVE Physical books: After some initial feedback, it turns out you all want an option to get a BUNCH of books to pass on! So here goes, this is 5 books!
- $325 - Doodled physical book AND Be a Masturbateer for a day! Because it's time intensive, this one is ULTRA limited. This is your yearly chance to get DRAWN into a future comic! (18+ pls, and you'll need to sign an agreement and send clothed photos!)
- $1069 - Doodled physical book and we'll take you out for coffee and a visit a local sex toy store when you visit Portland, OR. This is the first time we're trying this, please don't be a murderer.
We'll be using the fine folks at Make That Thing to do fulfillment this year!
Annnnd if you're not really interested in getting a book, but still want to support us, check out our Patreon here!
Erika Moen and Matt Nolan!
We're Erika and Matt! We're in our early 30s and we love the world of sex. It's our full-time job! Together we write and edit every comic. Erika is responsible for all the drawing while Matthew colors them and handles all the other business and bookmaking bits.
Erika is a long time comics veteran in Portland, OR. She has a desk at Helioscope (Formerly Periscope Studio) and her work has been published by Dark Horse Comics, Image Comics, Villard, BOOM! Studios, Penny Arcade, Scholastic, and Limerence Press, among many others.
Matt's has been doing the comics business truffle shuffle for the past 4 years! He used to work in the games industry, surrounded by hardworking creatives. Now he works at home with his hardly working cat, Flapjack.
Licenses and Thank Yous
Some thanks to a few people for helping make this Kickstarter possible.
Risks and challenges
This is our fifth Kickstarter. We've seen our fair share of lumps and bumps behind the scenes but have always delivered our books to our backers on or before our due dates and within budget! We're pretty confident that we've 'got this', but are under no illusions - we're pessimists and plan for the worst!
We've padded all our figures and margins by about 20% and are surrounded with experts in the field of book-making who can advise us if something comes up.
Make That Thing will again be handling our fulfillment - they've done a great job each year and we've got a lot of faith in them being able to handle your orders again this year. While a small percentage of shipments will and do get damaged or go missing, they have been helpful in getting replacements out and getting people cared for when there are mix-ups.
Limerence will be helping us get the books printed again this year. Other than needing to abide to some deadlines, it's all very hands off - they do a great job of interacting with the printers!
This year, Matt's going to be doing all the book work with no help from a book designer - Scary! But after so many years of working alongside one we're again feeling pretty confident about it! Worst case scenario? We're late by a few weeks on delivering our files, because there are unforeseen errors.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)