Funding for this project was canceled by the project creator on October 4, 2012.
About this project
Are you an artist? If you are then you have probably run up against artist block. In this age of image saturation it seems it's all been done. All of the major pop art subjects have been covered by every professional artist over and over again. So, how do you stick out? How do you breath new life into your art? The best art always looks as if it has a story behind it, even if it doesn't. What if you had a deck of cards that would allow you to combine pop iconic subjects in ways you wouldn't normally think of? And so Auckers Block was born.
Aucker - The action of achieving the highest level of success and intelligence. One whom cannot fail, being on the precipice of total and utter perfection.
So we put together a deck and had a prototype printed up and it worked great for coming up with original ideas. These will be amazing printed on professional Bicycle playing cards. If you would like to support us without backing the project please share our Facebook Page with your Facebook friends. We revised the number system and came up with a way to play it as a game. The deck consists of five suits of ten cards each. Half are character and half are object cards, five in each suit. Each card has a subject in the middle, a suit symbol in the upper left and a number between 1 and 5 in the lower right corner (see below). The backs of the cards are toned differently for characters and objects.
There are two ways to use these cards:
1. To cure artists block by using the system to select unique and random sets of subjects, styles and situations. Great for artists who want to push themselves out of a rut and try new themes outside of their comfort zone. There are 112,500 possible combinations so you'll never run out of original ideas.
2. A drawing game in which two artists draw two subjects and a situation card each. The other players guess, awarding points to the team that guesses its artists subjects and situation.(see below on the "RULES" card).
Below are the rules, styles, suites and cure cards.
And here is an example of a card from each of the suits: Weapons, Mythology, Religion, Animals and Technology.
Here are the images Christie and I created (so far) for the rewards. We will update these periodically during the course of the kickstarter so you can see how they are progressing.
First, Christie's. Her two subject cards were "Owl" and "Time Machine". Her style was "Surreal" and she drew a mythology suit for her situation so she needs to do a "Hybrid" of Owl and Time Machine.
In my case, I drew "Nuke" and "Octopus" in a "Realism" style and a "Conflict" situation.
This is the collectors tin that comes with the premium decks.
- Printed on durable Bicycle brand playing cards with custom tuck cases.
- In the future we hope to have multiple decks. We designed it so you can mix in future decks to multiply your possibilities. Once we've created a few more decks you'll be able to mix and match suits to create your own themed decks.
- Custom copper tins with the Auckers Block logo and Art.
- Awesome limited edition art prints signed by Christie and I. These are being produced for the project only and will not be available otherwise.
Where's the money going?
- Poker sized Bicycle brand playing cards custom printed on all faces so they are no longer "playing" cards with custom tuck cases. Min. order of 2500 decks - $7500
- Custom collectors tins - $1000
- Artwork prints for rewards - $1000
- Kickstarter and Amazons cut - $1200
- $650 each for Christie and I for months of hard work.
I Hope all our backers enjoy this deck as much as we do. Auckers Block can be a life long source of inspiration for anyone who loves artwork. Think of it as window into areas of your imagination that aren't on your map yet.
Get Auckers Block because doing a technically good rendering of a great image is only half of what makes it great!
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
- (30 days)