Since its birth, apart from color variations or minor variations in form, the toothbrush has barely changed. Considering heightened efforts towards designing their living spaces, consumers may find obnoxious the old, stubborn toothbrush models. Our challenge was to change the perception that a toothbrush, when not in use, only disrupts a beautifully decorated area. The solution was to make the toothbrush a work of art, endowing the product with a status of possession rather than that of a commodity. We believe our product should appeal to any consumer seeking better lifestyles. To you, we present the EPIQUAL toothbrush design.
The dictionary definition of "epic" is: 1) a story portraying heroic deeds and adventures 2) heroic or grand in scale; particularly impressive or remarkable. At first glance, “epic” seems most appropriate to describe only very fantastic moments. However, we EPIQUAL team believe the moments which make life so precious are found in daily routines. So what would objects that provide epic moments be like? Our answer, the EPIQUAL toothbrush.
You can purchase EPIQUAL toothbrush in two different sets. Set A provides a design toothbrush set, available in six different colors. Set B provides you with four replaceable bristle heads, to affordably reuse your toothbrush the dentist-recommended two or three months. Bristle heads are available in three different types: general, sensitive, and binchotan.
- Set A. EPIQUAL Design Toothbrush (MSRP $15.00) Includes 1 Handle, 1 Stand, 1 Silicon Cap & 1 General Type Bristle → 6 Colors Available
- Set B. Refill Box (MSRP $7.00) Includes 4 Bristle Heads → 3 Bristle Types Available
Choose your favorite that express you out well from six beautiful colors. EPIQUAL named every product color after an inspirational places of Southern California.
Everyone has a different preference when it comes to toothbrush bristles. The EPIQUAL Design Toothbrush Set comes with the “general” type bristle. As a replaceable bristle, you can choose your preferred type among the three following.
- General Type: The most widely used type. If you do not have any dental problems or preferred bristles, this type should suit you well.
- Sensitive Type: Having trouble with weak gums or enjoy the softness brushing? This could be the right type for you.
- Binchotan Type: This bristle type contains charcoal, known for its whitening effect.
In general, replaceable toothbrushes charge more for replaceable heads than for the long-term use handle, undoubtedly meant to price-gouge consumers. EPIQUAL wishes to change this. Our home-delivery subscription service conveniently provides replaceable heads at an affordable price. This can be achieved by both our replaceable head design and packing in low-coast post mail envelope.
- Refill By Mail - Starter Kit: Want to experience the EPIQUAL toothbrush but not so sure which option is right for you? Our Starter Kit is made for you. Containing one toothbrush set, and the three different types of bristle heads. Additionally, you receive a coupon towards our bristle-refilling subscription service. Redeem your coupon at our website to have three bristle heads delivered to you.
- Refill By Mail - Subscription: Choose your bristle type. Three bristle heads delivered to your house every three months. No hassle shopping for another toothbrush anymore.
- Refill By Mail - Economy Pack: Choose your favorite bristle type, and we deliver the amount you order - from 4 to 8 - right to your doorstep. One-time purchase option.
EPIQUAL is a startup founded by three close friends from college. While each of us has different personalities, we have always shared great interests in building a good business. This commonality is what binds us together and leads to our unwavering belief that good business is possible when we offer good values for consumers. Now we are taking the very first step forward to experiment the idea ourselves. We introduce our passionate journey how we have come here so far.
- [2015.10] Start-up & Inspiration Journey
- [2015.11~2016.01] Product Design & Prototype
- [2016.02~04] Planning Manufacture & Tooling
- [2016.03] Product Photography & Marketing Plan
We'll Make Good Use Of Backers' Money
Your financial supports would enable us specifically to do the following.
- Setup Online Storefronts: We are preparing to open our e-commerce site of our own at www.epiqual.com and also enter the third party online commerce sites. Why we are sticking to online commerce is to provide you our better shopping experience. We want to provide our products at an affordable price while you subscribe our replaceable heads whenever you need it just by one click. Completing this process will be possible by your funding.
- Sales & Marketing activity expenses: We hope our brand EPIQUAL to be just as famous and familiar as Nike, Apple, Coca-Cola... But our first task to do in achieving that dream may be to help people pronounce EPIQUAL correctly. Yes, we are new and our name sounds unfamiliar to most people. To tackle this challenge, we are planning how best to reach potential EPIQUAL customers online and offline in most creative and efficient way. Your support can be a great help to process the current marketing plan on our board.
- Development & Manufacturing Cost: Finally, the toothbrush factory has come a long way to set everything ready to make the EPIQUAL toothbrush. What lies ahead is only to invest in manufacturing process.
Fulfillment Of Rewards & Grand-opening Online Storefront
Our Kickstarter campaign will be live for thirty days. If the campaign goes successful, hopefully, we would proceed with the plan above and fulfill your rewards in June. You only need to wait for two months! We are confident to meet this schedule if our goal amount of support is achieved. Our online commerce site will be open soon. The delivery is currently only available in the US. But we are planning to expand the reach.
Support us if our story rings to you, and spread the word so that your friends also experience the EPIQUAL.
We spend our lives seeing, touching, and using physical products. Historically, people have simply been satisfied with convenient, affordable products. Times have changed, however. We believe consumers now seek intangible values such as individual identity, lifestyle and even communal culture in products. In other words, when making a purchase, consumers want to experience the brand.
We also believe designers are the foremost creators of these values, imbuing intangible properties into physical products. Unfortunately, we are surrounded by so many products lacking a considerate design process. These products provide only slight modulations in shape and specifications, linear changes of styles and packaging, aiming just barely to fulfill the demands of consumers.
In this hyper-connected world where technological barriers have all but disappeared, it is ironic we must still witness market inertia stand in the way of human creativity. We at EPIQUAL aim to push back against this market inertia, and initiate a movement to spread thoughtful design throughout our daily lives. A toothbrush is just our starting point. If you, our Kickstarter friends, support our small, but bold, first step, we can continue working with professional designers in our efforts to become a collaborative design community.
Risks and challenges
The biggest challenge in this project is to guarantee the toothbrush will be manufactured as designed in 3D rendering images above. Luckily, our team solved major technical problems, and we are confident to say finally manufactured products would be nearly identical to the design you see here. We expect the changes, if any, would be very minor, and promise to inform our Kickstarter community of any changes occur.
Fulfillment is planned to proceed in June, but there is always a chance that things will take longer. If those future delays happen, which is very unlikely, we will confront the issues upfront and communicate with our problems honestly with the Kickstarter backers.
For now, we are shipping EPIQUAL toothbrushes only to the U.S. and South Korea, where we can ship at a reasonable cost. We hope to meet potential customers in other countries as soon as possible.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (38 days)