About this project
Carvers are premium sunglasses that allow you to optimize your vision based on the environment you're in.
- Equipped with interchangeable lenses that allow you to filter the world the way you want to see it
- Individually carved from the most technologically superior material to make eyewear with: cellulose acetate, a bioplastic.
- Fully customizable frames fastened and reinforced with stainless steel that will fit you the way you want them to
- Not injection molded from brittle liquid petroleum like most sunglasses
- Not made with planned obsolescence: Carvers are made to be timeless
- Not constructed with limiting cheap lenses: many major sunglasses brands often do not use polarizing technology, leaving their customers without maximum protection from harmful glaring light
**We love these so much that we thought we'd let you know that if you don't like your Carvers for any reason, you can return them for a full refund in the first month- no questions asked.
1) Select which perk to the right that best suits you:
2) This will take you to a page where you'll provide shipping and payment details
3) Have a look below and ponder all of the possibilities for creating your custom pair(s). We'll send you a survey after the Kickstarter has been funded for you to select your color combinations
Cellulose acetate sunglasses are made from forming layers of wood and cotton based plastic into blocks. Each pair of sunglasses is carefully carved out, hand polished, and then finally assembled into a frame.
The alternating folding layers, much like a samurai sword, combine hardness with ductility to greatly enhance the toughness of cellulose acetate compared to petroleum based plastics.
The stainless steel that is then infused into the frames further reinforces the legs while allowing them to be adjusted by you or your optician to perfectly fit your face.
Because cellulose acetate is a plant based environmentally friendly plastic, it retains many of its initial properties:
- Incredibly strong, flexible, and lightweight
- Hypoallergenic and retains the soft feeling of cotton on the skin
- Environmentally friendly and made from renewable resources
Every lens is 100% UV filtering (UV 400):
- Constructed from polycarbonate
- Impact resistant and tested
- Polarized with scratch resistant coatings on both sides
- Fully customizable and easily interchangeable
Blue / Grey Lens Tints (Red, Yellow, & Orange Lenses)
- Reduces glare, eye stress, and fatigue, especially in yellow / sunny environments
- Enhances contrast & helps to see contours Improves color perception Great for driving, spectator, golf, and snow sports
- The darker the tint, the better suited for bright light conditions. Tints (darkest to lightest) go Red, Yellow, Orange
Good in misty, foggy and snowy conditions the lighter the tint is
Brown Lens Tints (Blue & Brown Lenses)
- Reduce glare and blocks blue light, the most harmful light to the eyes, giving them the ability to brighten vision on cloudy/hazy/foggy days/enhances the light quality of your surroundings
- By blocking blue light, these tints increase contrast and visual acuity, allowing you to make out shapes more clearly, especially against green and blue backgrounds such as grass and sky
- Good for: fishing, baseball, golf, hunting, cycling, water sports, high-altitude sports, boating/sailing, hiking, winter sports, water sports, motorcycling, baseball, cycling & running, or any sport where distance needs to be judged
- Great for bright light conditions, lighter color browns are especially suited for overcast, hazy or foggy conditions The darker the lens, the more suited it is for bright light conditions while the lighter it is the more depth perception is increased in lower light
Purple Lens Tint (Green Lenses)
- Reduce glare and blocks green light, giving them the ability to enhance contrast in environments where there is a lot of green like forests, fields, and golf courses
- Optimum for enhancing contrast in bright to medium light conditions making them great for snow sports and clouded sunsets
- Think of as an in-between for blue and brown lens attributes that leans more towards the brown lenses
Green (Olive) Lens Tint (Purple Lenses)
- Best at blocking red and infrared (I.R.) light
- Maintain a more true color balance and recommended for varying color conditions
- Think of as an in-between for blue and brown lens attributes that leans more toward the blue/grey lenses
Note: mirror gradients reflect light while lens tints absorb (dampen) it. This is why, for example, our brown lens tint has a blue mirror or why our purple lens tint has a green mirror. By doing this, even more blue light is kept out of the eyes in the case of the brown tint/blue mirror combo, improving the quality of the lens even further. It's not all about looking sweet. There's logic to the color pairing.
Risks and challenges
This isn't our first rodeo, but there are always unknowns that can come up.
If you have any hesitations, we'd encourage you to search 'Epicstoke' on Kickstarter and Indiegogo to have a look at our past campaigns. Please check the comments- we pride ourselves on quality, transparency, and communication. Otherwise, you're always welcome to reach out!
MANUFACTURING: We have dialed in the prototypes and love where they are at. We've become good friends with our manufacturer over the past few years and they have always delivered on quality and been able to be flexible with our needs for other sunglasses we produce. Nonetheless, challenges can arise, e.g. certain acetate colors could take a little extra time to procure. These guys only make high quality stuff and we accept nothing less.
FULFILLMENT: There are always things that could come up here. As you know, many Kickstarters deliver late. We've always delivered close to our deadlines and kept a hot line of communication between our backers and reality. Because we have a close relationship that has been built with our manufacturer over the past few years, we have the advantage of extra transparency. If the manufacturer misses a deadline, a shipment goes astray, or anything goes wrong, you'll hear about it right away.
Again, we'd encourage you to check out our past campaigns or contact us with any questions or apprehensions. :)Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (33 days)