We are amazed and honored by the response of our backers. We'll be publishing all three hardcover compilations, as well as all the stretch goal bonus materials we proposed. Please keep an eye on our update emails over the coming months as we report on our progress.
We will send out a backer survey in the coming weeks. If you have pledged a la carte, we encourage you to make a record of which items you pledged for so you don't forget in the interim. Send us an email if your mailing address changes between now and January, when we'll deliver the Act One materials.
And remember, you can always visit EN World and swing by the E.N. Publishing forum to ask questions, talk about your games, or let us know how we can better serve all of you who offered us support in this Kickstarter.
For quick details on a la carte pricing and international shipping, see our FAQs at the bottom of this page.
Zeitgeist: The Gears of Revolution, an adventure path for Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition and the PATHFINDER RPG, has completed the first of three acts, earning numerous rave reviews as an intelligent, action-packed series that mixes investigation, spycraft, and a bit of steampunk into traditional fantasy heroism. As we begin to publish the second act, we're offering the chance to get the first five adventures in a beautiful hardcover compilation.
Additionally, thanks to reaching our stretch goals we'll also be producing a second hardcover that compiles the four adventures of Act Two, and a third hardcover with the final four adventures of Act Three. It's an entire campaign that will give you and your friends months of gaming fun.
Oh, and if you think this campaign sounds fun to play but want someone else to GM it, don't be deterred. We promise there'll be no spoilers on this page.
Not familiar with ZEITGEIST yet? The adventure path comes with two free guides (one for players, one for GMs/DMs) and Island at the Axis of the World, the first adventure free! You can check them out for yourself - we're sure you'll like what you see! Don't just take our word for it - download them for free from right here!
The Act One hardcover compilation combines the Player’s Guide, Campaign Guide, and the first five ZEITGEIST adventures. A pledge of $25 will get you the PDF of this compilation, $35 will get you the hardcover in black & white, and $60 gets the hardcover in color. We're producing two versions, one with Pathfinder RPG rules, the other for Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition. (We'll ask in the backer survey which you want.)
We've also reached a stretch goal that unlocks the Act Two and Act Three hardcover compilations, which contain four more adventures each. If you make any pledge of $60 or more you'll get the PDF of these compilations (and all our stretch goals) at no extra cost.
You can get the Act Two hardcover by adding $35 (for black & white) or $60 (for color) to any existing pledge. The Act Three hardcover is also $35 in black & white, and is discounted at $45 for color.
In addition to the hardcover, you can also get printed poster maps of the setting and the city of Flint, which are great to familiarize the players with the world. These are $51 for one, or $102 for both, or you can get a Act One hardcover color compilation and both maps for $160. These maps were designed by Jonathan Roberts, the cartographer who went on to create The Lands of Ice and Fire, the official maps of the Game of Thrones world of Westeros.
And if you're the kind of gamer who wants the best props possible, for $150 you can get the four-deck layout of the campaign's literal flagship, the R.N.S. Coaltongue, mounted on four 40-inch by 10-inch pieces of foam-core backing. This mighty warship appears repeatedly throughout the campaign, and may eventually be the party's to captain.
(If you are overseas, please contact us to talk shipping costs for the Coaltongue.)
You might have noticed that ZEITGEIST has a distinctive style for NPC portraits, thanks to EN World's favored son Claudio Pozas, illustrator extraordinaire from Rio de Janeiro. For a $50 pledge, Claudio will do a headshot portrait for your character. For $230, you can get five portraits, enough for a typical party of PCs. (If you need more, contact us and we'll see how Claudio's schedule is.)
We're also offering several stretch goal items that make handy props, including a 120-card deck with all the NPC portraits and key treasure items in Act One ($20), and a second deck with all the portraits and treasure in both Acts Two and Three ($20).
Additionally, we are offering premium hand-outs, a pack of 20 8.5" x 11" card-stock versions of all the player hand-outs in Act One, including clues, letters, dossiers, and a quick-play sheet with ship stats and the rules for naval combat from our previous Kickstarter Admiral o' the High Seas. You can add the Act One premium hand-out pack for $30. Similar packs will be made for Act Two ($30, June 2014) and Act Three ($30, December 2014). [[Honestly, if you don't pledge for these now, you'll still be able to purchase them later.]]
Finally, anyone who pledges $60 or more automatically gets PDFs of all three compilations, as well as the bonus material unlocked by our stretch goals.
If there is some combination of rewards that we don't have a specific reward tier for, just pledge the total amount of the various rewards. We list the prices for various items in the FAQs below.
The Villainous Convocation
Throughout this Kickstarter, we ran a special event on EN World, where anyone could take on the role of one of the villains of ZEITGEIST. In Adventure Seven, Schism, a grand convocation is called to determine just how the villains intend to ruin the PCs' day, and we let our backers involved. You can see the vote and discussion here!
Thanks to your support, we're adding extra material to the campaign, including additional player options, a dungeon crawl through the heretical history of the ZEITGEIST campaign, a mini-adventure perfect for a 4-hour convention game, a series of vignette adventures, an appendix of new monsters and magic, and an expanded player's guide.
Our target date of January 2014 is for the Act One compilation, which includes the time needed to add the new material unlocked by stretch goals. Some later items will take longer to produce, since we’re still producing the adventures of Acts Two and Three.
- $3,041: Act One compilation, with the Player’s Guide, Campaign Guide, and adventure 1 through 5. Target release January 2014.
- $5,000: Act One Enhanced, adding extra art, maps, and setting information to the Heroic compilation. ACHIEVED!
- $7,000: Act One NPC, Ally, and Treasure Cards, with illustrations for key characters, stats of allies, and items of the first third of the campaign. ACHIEVED!
- $9,000: Dungeon Crawl: Crypta Hereticarum, an adventure in the dungeon known as the Vault of Heresies. ACHIEVED!
- $10,000: Expanded Player's Guide, with new setting information, character themes, and items. ACHIEVED!
- $11,000: Act Two compilation, with adventures 6 through 9. Target release June 2014. ACHIEVED!
- $13,000: Game Day Adventure: Bonds of Forced Faith, a quick-play adventure for use as a 4-hour con game. Bring Zeitgeist to a whole new group of gamers. ACHIEVED!
- $15,000: Act Two NPC, Ally, and Treasure Cards. ACHIEVED!
- $17,000: Act Three compilation, with adventures 10 through 13. Target release December 2014.
- $19,000: Monsters and Magic of the Revolution, a bonus appendix to Act Three with more monsters for the Zeitgeist setting, and new magic options based on the philosophically-driven factions of the campaign. ACHIEVED!
- $21,000: Vagabond of the Mirror Moon, a series of brief vignette adventures scattered across the Zeitgeist setting, based on the travels of infamous docker Rock Rackus. ACHIEVED!
- $23,000. Act One Hero Lab files,which include all the character options and encounter details of the Pathfinder version of the first five adventures. They will be a free download to all backers, as well as those who have subscribed previously through other sites. ACHIEVED!
- $24,000. Act One Premium Hand-outs, a packetof premium hand-outs on 8.5" x 11" cardstock, for all the items the GM may want to hand out to his players in the first five adventures. The PDF will be a free download to all backers and subscribers, or you can get the cardstock version for an additional $30 pledge (plus $5 for international shipping). ACHIEVED!
- $25,000. Act Two Hero Lab files. ACHIEVED!
- $26,000. Act Two Premium Hand-outs. ACHIEVED!
- $27,000. Act Three Hero Lab files. ACHIEVED!
- $28,000. Act Three Premium Hand-outs. ACHIEVED!
- $30,000. Case Files of the RHC, a collection of short vignette investigations by the Royal Homeland Constabulary across the city of Flint by Thurston Hillman. Ideal for use when you have missing players, or to let your players play a B-Team to give them a sense of a living, breathing city. ACHIEVED!
- $32,000: A New Age, wherein we do a conversion of the campaign to the next edition of Dungeons & Dragons. (This assumes WotC continues to grant third party publishers the option.) ACHIEVED!
- $32,500 to $36,500: Advanced Character Themes. For every $500, we'll add to the Expanded Player's Guide a paragon path (for 4e)/prestige class (for Pathfinder), based on one of the character themes. See below for the list. ACHIEVED!
- +$100: Infinite Stretch Goal. For every $100 we get beyond $36,500, we'll commission one digital token for use in online games.
Or, in more detail:
Act One Enhanced (ACHIEVED!)
While we think our adventures are beautiful, we'll be adding more illustrations of monsters and maps of points of interest into Act One, some of which we had to skip the first time through for budgetary reasons.
Acts Two (ACHIEVED!) and Three (ACHIEVED!)
The Act Two compilation will consist of adventures Six through Nine, with a release date of June 2014. Act Three will consist of adventures Ten through Thirteen, due December 2014, hopefully in time for Christmas. And my birthday.
These 120-card decks (one for Act One, and one that combines Acts Two and Three) have images of prominent NPCs, and stats of various treasures and allies. They make a great prop for players to reference in their investigations.
Please note that any backers who choose the 'PC Portraits' reward should let us know if they want to keep those portraits private. Otherwise we may include them with the NPC cards as 'red herrings,' so GMs can add extra characters to the campaign without it being obvious they weren't part of the original plot.
Crypta Hereticarum (ACHIEVED!)
This dungeon crawl adventure - which will be included as an appendix to the Act One compilation - takes place in a forbidden vault on the cursed island of Odiem, where the drowned dead trap those who seek to enter. Here the Clergy keeps prisoners from the long-defeated Demonocracy, as well as heresies of those who would oppose the mighty religion. When you put enough cursed things in one place, what could possibly go wrong?
It can either be slotted into the main ZEITGEIST campaign as a special mission for the constables, or run as a stand-alone adventure.
Bonds of Forced Faith (ACHIEVED!)
A century ago the King of Risur allied with adventurers from around the world to defeat a coven of dread witches who ruled from atop Cauldron Hill. Using the vile ritual bond of forced faith, the witches tied their life forces to those of their innocent prisoners, but on the night of a lunar eclipse there is a chance to defeat them without dooming the hostages.
This short adventure - which will be included as an appendix to the Act Two compilation - is independent from the main ZEITGEIST campaign, but is perfect to introduce the setting to gamers for a one-shot, especially at a convention.
Monsters and Magic of the Revolution (ACHIEVED!)
This supplement - an appendix to the Act Three compilation - will present all the unique monsters, spells, and magic items of ZEITGEIST, as well as including brand new ones.
Vagabond of the Mirror Moon (ACHIEVED!)
This series of short vignette adventures - an appendix to the Act Three compilation - is our take on Edgar Rice Burroughs-style planetary adventures. Play as the posse of the chronically inept treasure hunter Rock Rackus as he stumbles his way through the solar system, oblivious to the dangers he puts his traveling companions in.
Hero Lab Files (ACHIEVED!)
These files will include all the character options and encounter details of the Pathfinder version of the entire campaign (released at the same time as each Act's compilation). They will be a free download to all backers, as well as those who have subscribed previously through other sites.
Premium Hand-outs Pack (ACHIEVED!)
We will produce a packet of premium hand-outs on 8.5" x 11" cardstock, for all the items the GM may want to hand out to his players in the first five adventures. These include clues, enemy dossiers, ship 'character sheets,' and other items of note.
We're doing one such pack for each Act of the adventure path (released shortly after each Act's compilation). The PDFs will be free to all backers and subscribers, or you can get a cardstock version for an additional $30 pledge (plus $5 for international shipping) per pack.
Honestly, feel free to wait on the later packs until next year; you'll be able to buy them separate from the Kickstarter. But we are devoted to making them.
Case Files of the RHC (ACHIEVED!)
Written by Thurston Hillman. This appendix will contain short vignette investigations by the Royal Homeland Constabulary across the city of Flint. Ideal for use when you have missing players, or to let your players play a B-Team to give them a sense of a living, breathing city. Backers will be able to download it, and we'll try to fit it into the Act Two or Three compilation, space permitting.
A New Age (ACHIEVED!)
If we reach $32,000, we will set aside a chunk of the Kickstarter funding to produce a conversion of the campaign to D&D NEXT. This is contingent on Wizards of the Coast allowing third-party publishers to do so, so it's highly dependent on their time table, and their legal department.
We jumped the gun a little bit when we did a conversion of our first adventure path, War of the Burning Sky, from 3rd edition to 4th edition. With this conversion, we intend to make sure we more thoroughly understand the ins and outs of the system so we take full advantage of it.
Assuming Kickstarter is still operational in, by our best guess, 2 years, we'll make the PDF of this conversion available to everyone who backed us at $60 or more. As always with something on such a long time scale, of course, caveat emptor.
Advanced Character Themes (ACHIEVED!)
We'll add these to the Expanded Player's Guide.
- $32,500. Steam Pilot. For technologists who design and pilot their own magical mecha suits.
- $33,000. Urban Empath. For spirit mediums who psychically connect to an urban environment.
- $33,500. Applied Astronomist. For a skyseer who invokes the powers of the various planets.
- $34,000. Mad Shootist. For gunsmiths who want freeze rays, rocket launchers, shrink rays, and the like.
- $34,500. Polyhistor. For martial scientists who are experts in intelligent combat maneuvers.
- $35,000. Notorious Celebrity. For dockers who roll with a posse.
- $35,500. Notbringer. For eschatologists who learn to ignore impermanent reality. (Yes, it's a little esoteric. They're philosophers after all. And they're literally able to talk you to death.)
- $36,000. Maverick Captain. For Yerasol veterans who are fearless behind the helm of a ship.
- $36,500. Vekeshi Dreadnought. For Vekeshi mystics empowered by the magic of a centuries-long vendetta.
We want to thank you all again for helping us reach and exceed our fund-raising goals. And we rather appreciate the work some of you did -- getting an early crack at looking for clues -- investigating the various pricing and shipping details we had poorly scattered throughout multiple updates and edits during the 30 days this drive went on. We think we finally got it all clearly presented while we still had a few hours left.
Remember that you can already see the free Intro Pack, and for those of you already playing ZEITGEIST, please let us know how you like the adventure path or ask us any questions you might have by visiting the E.N. Publishing forum at EN World.
We'd also like to thank the many of our friends, followers and fellow game designers who spread the news of our Kickstarter drive. In particular we'd like to thank the class acts at Paizo Publishing, especially Liz Courts who gave us some front page attention on their store blog.
Together you all have given us a chance to create what we hope you'll find is an exciting, intelligent fantasy campaign. And soon it will be your chance to take these adventures and make them your own. Because ultimately, that's what ZEITGEIST is about: deciding the spirit of a new age.
Risks and challenges
We don't foresee any real risks for the Act One compilation, but if we reach the stretch goals for the Act Two or Act Three compilations, there's always a chance that some of our freelancers might not stay available for the year or more necessary to complete the remaining adventures.
We've had a few delays in the past, which is why we're going to include a special stretch goal!
When we reach 200 backers, we will enlist a priest, shaman, or other wise man of some variety to perform a ritual purification on the E.N. Publishing staff at Gen Con, to purge our company of whatever evil spirits plagued us back in 2012. Illnesses, disappearing freelancers, computer crashes, and a bedbug infestation wrought havoc, and we intend to banish whatever demons are to blame. On camera!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)