Who are We?
Hey there! This is Amanda, Chris, Christopher, Dan, Gilles, and Kaison. We are dog lovers on a mission to bring a nutritious and sustainable source of protein to the pet industry by introducing a grain-free, human-grade dog treat, made with cricket powder. Living in health-conscious San Diego during one of the worst droughts on record, we are excited to introduce a treat that makes not only our dogs happy, but our planet healthy.
However, we realize that we cannot do this without your support. Thank you for visiting our page, and we hope that you will donate, share, and stay tuned throughout our campaign for updates, as we get closer to delivering our treats to dog lovers everywhere.
What People are Saying About our Samples
We are dedicated to finding the highest quality ingredients that are as good for your dog as they are for the planet.
Over the past year, we tested over 100 recipes—collaborating with entomologists, environmentalists, veterinarians, dog nutritionists, and pet industry experts—because we are obsessed with finding the perfect balance between taste, nutrition, and environmental sustainability.
These are the fruits of our labor:
- Human-grade: Our treats are made with high-quality human-grade ingredients in a human-grade facility. Feeding your pup human-grade treats can minimize the amount of trips you make to the vet and can contribute to a happier, healthier pet.
- Made in the USA: We are tired of pet food recalls, contaminated products, and the low standards for quality that is the status quo for the pet industry. All of our ingredients are sourced from the USA, and we manufacture and package here as well.
- Grain-free: Going grain-free helps keep dogs fuller, longer, resulting in less food being eaten. Other benefits might include: more energy, healthier skin, reduced shedding, and better digestion.
- High nutritional value. Our treats are 23% protein and cricket powder has 28 times more Omega 3’s than beef.
- No Artificial Preservatives: we believe whole ingredients, the one’s everyone can pronounce, make for the healthiest dog treats. We currently use peanut butter, sweet potato, potato flour, egg, cricket powder, honey, and coconut oil.
Try them with your dog - we can’t guarantee you’ll like them as much as they do, but you might be surprised.
As Seen In
Why Cricket Powder?
There are two reasons we're so excited about using cricket powder in our treats:
Crickets are nutritious. Even though a majority of the world already eats insects, and some consider them a delicacy, Americans are still averse to the idea of eating insects. But our dogs are not! They already eat crickets, which have always been part of their ancestral diet; crickets are also readily available because they are already commercially farmed in the US, so there’s a body of knowledge and existing infrastructure.
Cricket powder is one of the most sustainable forms of protein on the planet. Typical meat sources, like beef and chicken, require a lot of land, water, and other resources to produce. For example, one pound of beef requires about 2,000 gallons of water to produce! In comparison, one pound of crickets requires just about 1 gallon of water, not to mention much less land and other resources.
Our mission is to make dogs and people happy. We make simple, grain-free, low allergen dog treats using cricket powder as a source for protein. Our treats make both dogs and our environment happy and healthy. We are dedicated to natural and friendly ingredients with no processed preservatives and no cheap fillers. Your dog is your family and should eat like it too.
We found an amazing manufacturer/baker here in the U.S. However, they have a minimum order quantity that we wouldn't be able to reach without the help of Kickstarter backers.
To bring a sustainable protein source to the forefront of the pet industry. We want to be in every pet's home because they love our food and their owners love our values.
Risks and challenges
We have done everything we can to eliminate as many risks to ensure a successful launch. Some of those include:
- 1 year of product testing to make sure dogs LOVE our treats
- Agreement with a human-grade manufacturer to ensure the highest quality
- Secured packaging supplier
- Secured ingredient suppliers
- Secured co-packer
- Secured order fulfillment center
But, there are some serious challenges and potential risks ahead. The human-grade cricket powder industry is in it's infancy and supply is volatile. We have a relationship with one of the biggest suppliers and are in communication with others. In case we see a production limitation in the future we will immediately inform our backers. We can only guess how many people will choose to back us and support our vision, but if it is more than we thought, we do have other cricket powder suppliers to reach out to.
We have a strong team of 6. We are willing to do whatever it takes to provide you with your orders when we have promised.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)