Time for a change, time for a book on vintage Enicar
In 1913, Ariste Racine and his wife Emma Blatt started a watch manufacturing company in La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland. They named the brand 'Enicar'. That's right, that is 'Racine' spelled backwards. This seemingly small detail sparked my passion for the brand. Just look at the fantastic Saturn planet logo, the innovative and outspoken watch designs and the cool adverts and brochures. So much to like. There is enough to write a book about it.
And that is exactly what I'm doing, because it has not been done before. In fact, for a very long time, Enicar was more or less forgotten. In 1984, Enicar S.A. ended and all the archives were destroyed. But thanks to a small, but very enthusiastic Enicar collectors community, the brand is finally getting the attention it deserves.
I have been collecting Enicar watches for five years. In 2015, I first took my passion for the brand to Instagram (@vandervenus) and in 2017 I started the website www.enicar.org, where I share the great stories of this former Swiss watch manufacturer. I went to Biel and Lengnau last September, to track down the stories from old employees and watch makers and I even met the grandson of founder Ariste Racine. It convinced me to take on this book project.
To get the book produced, I'm looking for backers. Your support is needed to fund the graphic design and desk top publishing, copywriting and editing, additional translations, photography and printing.
This is what the book will contain:
• 250 pages of great photos and stories.
• A newly discovered interview with Enicar founder Ariste Racine from 1954.
• 5 special photographic remakes of Enicar watches with a remarkable story, courtesy of Verse Beeldwaren (www.versebeeldwaren.nl, including the Enicar Kaleidoscope and military models from 1915 and 1944.
• New interviews taken in Biel and Lengnau, photographed by Maarten Coolen (www.maartencoolen.nl).
• The complete story on Enicar and sports: newly found photos and interview with Stirling Moss! Also featuring Jim Clark, Ken Rosewall, Gerhard Mitter, the Swiss gymnastics team, the Tokio Olympic team, iconic cyclist Eddy Merckx, Jacques Anquetil and many more.
• Inside the factory in Lengnau and the many faces of Enicar employees through the ages.
• A professional look at the three best known Enicar calibers.
• Sold worldwide: background stories of how Enicar conquered 90 countries.
• Old advertisements, brochures and catalogs from all over the planet.
• This, and much, much more!
Here is a glimpse of the fantastic print work by MIZDRUK. I will create 100 prints of an original Enicar advertisement from the fifties to fund the campaign.
For the research, I got my hands on 44 issues of 'Saturn', the Enicar corporate magazine that was made between 1954 and 1972. Saturn contains information about the divisions in the factories, the business trips of Enicar president Ariste Racine (son of Enicar founder Ariste Racine Sr. and head of the company from November 1940 till 1984), technical innovations, marketing, watch models, sports, and many other subjects that were important for the employees of Enicar. These magazines were handed over to me by Ariste Racine III (the grandson of the founder who is now 75 years old) last September when I visited Biel and Lengnau.
If you back up this project by buying the Sherpa Super-Dive MkIII, you will receive infinite karma points and the beautiful watch picked below:
Risks and challenges
As a professional copywriter, I will write the copy for the book myself. I have done extensive research for this book project, but since the watch brand Enicar S.A. went out of business in 1984 and archives were lost, the content of this book can never be 100% factual correct. This is a work of art, design and photography, combined with storytelling.
My book is an independent production. There is no professional publisher involved. I have 20 years of advertising experience and I have owned my own advertising agency for 15 years. I am experienced in creating and producing a book, since I have done this for several clients of my agency.
My project is NOT financed by www.enicar.com, nor is it affiliated with the Hong Kong company that is currently operating as www.enicar.com. My book is about the Enicar S.A. company, that was located in Lengnau, Switzerland.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)