About this project
Backers, be sure to check out this Youtube video for a new preview of the deck: http://youtu.be/jeJ9YrKcVOU
What You Need to Know About Tendril:
- Tendril is designed by Encarded, a new independent designer of custom cards. Check our site for more info and background.
- We all know that there are a lot of great decks out there. However, the vast majority follow a familiar pattern and there is not much exploration of truly new ideas. Tendril IS a new idea in playing card design.
- Tendril will be printed by The United States Playing Card Company and will be the equal of any of the finest decks out there. Bee Casino grade stock, Q1 quality, Magic finish. There's no real upgrades in this design, it's already the best.
- There will only be 5,000 Tendril decks made and it will never be reprinted.
- Tendril will cost more after the Kickstarter campaign (retail price $9.95) and shipping will not be included.Pledging here will support the project and save you money! A number of Tendril decks will remain in private reserve, with the rest used in contests, distributed by some well-known internet resellers or sold direct via Encarded.com.
- Tendril is complete, the art is already with USPCC, prototypes are made and it is ready to print immediately.
- Backers of Tendril will get first access, and a price break on Encarded's next deck design, Aurum which is currently being designed.
- If you support Tendril now, you will help ensure that independent designers will be able to continue working in the custom card arena, and the unique and personal perspective Encarded brings will give you options the "big guys" will probably never try.
The money pledged during this Kickstarter campaign will directly pay for printing the deck with USPCC and shipping it around the world. It will also be your way to get the deck at a significant savings and ensure that Encarded can bring you more deck designs in the future.
If you want to make a dream into reality, get an incredible deck of cards unlike any you currently own at a great price, and support the independent playing card designers, please pledge today!
Kickstarter Specials and Perks!
- All backers that pledge for package #4 or above ($25, 3 Tendril decks) will gain exclusive, behind-the-scenes access to a special site for the next Encarded deck, codename: Aurum. Here you will get to be part of each step in the design process. Making Tendril a success now will ensure that Aurum continues design and development.
- The TEAL and BLACK Eco Card Clips available in some of the reward packages are Kickstarter exclusives and won't be available anywhere else.
- Anyone can request a signed deck in their reward, just ask!
- The first 150 backers will get a signed Tendril card as a small thank you.
Important International Shipping Note!
If you are a backer outside the US, please read the rewards carefully to know what your shipping costs will be. We actually took decks to the US postal service office and weighed them all in an effort to keep shipping fair and reasonable across all rewards, but they do vary so please be sure you add the right amount for your chosen reward.
Want Tendril Early? Add Advance Shipping!
If you want to get your Tendril deck before everyone else, you can add advance shipping to any package. Adding advance shipping will get your decks sent out 10 days before the rest of the shipments. It's easy, just do the following:
- For "personal" reward packages #2 through #18 ($9-$225) just select your reward, add shipping costs if you are international, and then add $25 to your pledge amount for the advance shipment.
- For "reseller" reward packages #19 through #22 ($380-$1100) just select your reward, add shipping costs if you are international, and then add $100 to your pledge amount for the advance shipment.
Tendril uses some brand new ideas in playing card design. The goal is to produce a whole new playing card look that is both beautiful, unique and usable. Magicians, cardists and collectors alike will find something to appreciate in Tendril. Here are a few of the highlights:
- Shadow Borders: We love black decks, but we hate the inevitable edge chipping. So, we created shadow borders which allow BOTH the face and back to be dark, but taper off to a very light gray which will maintain a clean edge for the life of the card. Shadow borders mean you get dramatic coloring, full ability to do reversals, and a quality edge for the life of the card.
- Face patterns: Who says design and patterns only have to be on the back? Tendril features a subtle variation of the back tendril design on the face.
- Custom indexes, pip design, court cards: Every element of Tendril has been drawn from scratch. The court pays homage to the Bicycle court, but in a simplified “bas relief” style with dramatic coloring.
- Organic Symmetry: Frankly, we are a bit sick of seeing obviously symmetrical back designs. Tendril features a perfectly mirrored back design that simultaneously appears completely random.
- Included cards are: 52 standard Poker-size cards, 2 Jokers with a Pre-Columbian stone carved design motif, 1 Inverse Color Gaff, 1 Double Backer.
Click to View Larger
Why Tendril is a Great Idea for Your Pledge
For cardists, Tendril has bold colors, high contrast and exciting faces which will make any flourish look that much more interesting and dynamic. Bee Casino stock and Magic finish means it handles perfectly.
For magicians, Tendril features borders that will allow you the full range of reversals and other card sleights that a deck with no borders or differing back/face colors wouldn't allow. The bold design of Tendril will no doubt add some visual punch to your card routine.
For collectors, Tendril is a limited deck, only 5,000 made with less than that in circulation. Take out shipping and you are getting a limited, fully custom deck for about $6, which considering that decks like the Black Crown (which was also made in a run of 5,000) already fetch nearly $20 makes Tendril a steal.
Eco Card Clips
A few rewards include the very cool Eco Card Clip from Conjuring Creations. Formed out of real bamboo, these all natural clips hold and protect your decks. The Kickstarter version will be done in several exclusive colors and feature a unique laser-engraved design. Be sure to visit their site for more info on this unique item. (The above is an artist rendition, and final product may vary.)
Art Print Rewards
Here's a preview of the art print rewards. Each will be printed professionally, signed and numbered.
In our various travels, one place has stuck in our minds as being a wonderful mix of opposites. The rain forests of Costa Rica present you with such varied environments, and Tendril tries to capture some of the beauty and mystery that I’ve found there.
In the span of 24 hours, you can see amazing, eye-popping colors: the bluest of skies, the deepest of green leafs, the most shocking pink flowers. As day tapers off into night, the blackness can become absolute and what was a gorgeous and inviting atmosphere a few short hours earlier now becomes a quiet place of hushed danger.
I wanted Tendril to have that mix of visual elements. Black, yet not. Dark, yet colorful. Inviting, yet sinister.
So, What Does This All Mean?
I want Tendril to exist. Only you can make it happen. I've put in a lot of effort and time, spent hours and hours honing the details, reading forums, talking to experts and have done everything possible to create a deck of cards that I think brings some great new ideas to playing card design. I'm excited to have Tendril in my collection.
I hope that you are excited as well and can pledge now. Help Tendril exist, and hopefully it will be the first of many groundbreaking designs from Encarded.
When I sign a deck, I will first carefully remove the cellophane from the deck and then sign the front of the box in silver marker. I will not be opening the deck or taking anything out, I just sign the front of the box. If you want special arrangements, like signing directly on the cellophane then please send me a message so I can keep track of those requests. Thanks!
Whenever a Kickstarter project goes over it's goal, folks want to know what will be done with the extra funding. Well, here's what will happen with Tendril:
- More money = more backers = more shipping and handling costs
- Extra funds will allow for purchase of some more uncut sheets
- Extra funds will allow me to purchase the actual Tendril printing plates from USPCC (for the ultimate collector prize? Who knows....)
- Most importantly, those extra funds will allow Encarded to produce it's next deck without having to rely solely on Kickstarter. That financial independence will mean that cards can come to you sooner, without the worry of "will they be produced?" We don't want to be a one-hit wonder and plan on bringing amazing new ideas like Tendril to you again, so being able to focus more on the art and less on the mechanics of funding the project will give everyone more options.
I can do a limited number of simple changes, but my goal was to keep the packages simple and easy to understand. If you are looking for something slightly different, please ask first so that I can tell you what cost adjustment their might be or if it's not possible.
The art is already at USPCC, the proofs are done, and prototypes have been made. Everything is ready, all we need is the money to pay for the printing. If Tendril is successful on March 10th, I will immediately get USPCC printing them. Typically, it seems to be taking about 2 months for them to complete the process, so my tentative target for delivery is early May. I'll do everything I can to get these done as quickly as possible.
Support this project
- (35 days)