Funding for this project was canceled by the project creator on November 2, 2012.
About this project
Please visit our rebooted campaign here:
We're in a very exciting position. Over the past week, we:
- found out how to lower fixed costs for the foam by a large amount, so we need much less funding to get started
- built LED kits to add to Emoki bear and fox ears, and also for Necomimi cat ears -
- made a new Special Edition Panda Bear to celebrate the Giants' World Series victory :)
Kickstarter doesn't allow us to lower our funding goal, even though we need much less now to begin production. As such, we're cancelling the project and restarting on Indiegogo, this time with a 2-week funding period so that we're not prolonging the process.
None of your credit cards have or will be charged for any Kickstarter pledges. Thank you so much for your continued support!
New Ears for Necomimi
Hot on the Press
FORBES: "Can you imagine wearing a sign that says, “This is how I feel!”
MAKE: "Without a doubt the next best thing to actually being a colorful furry animal"
DVICE: "Just imagine a world where everybody is wearing one of these things: yes, this needs to happen."
Emoki ears are designed to draw people to come and speak with you, to initiate conversations and ignite new friendships. They're unbelievably fun, and you'll laugh with your friends as your ears react to your mood.
Whether you want to look sexy & bad-ass with the party-flavored ears, or cute, cuddly, & fun with the cartoonish-realistic ears, wearing Emoki can enhance your time at all sorts of social gatherings. If you go to music festivals, anime conventions, cosplay events, or Burning Man; if you want to represent your home team with custom mascot ears, you'll be equipped for an epic adventure.
Neurowear's Necomimi serves as the base for our new animal ears.
Understanding the Ear Movement
- Ears perk up – Attentive – single-minded focus, surprise, attraction – beta wave dominance
- Ears droop down – Meditative – calm, relaxed, chill – alpha wave dominance
- Ears wiggle back & forth – In the Zone – peak performance, excitement, calm focus – high alpha & beta
- One ear up, one ear down – Calibrating – when turned on, the headset learns about the user
By turning inward, meditating, or imagining the sensations of being underneath a waterfall, you can drive up alpha wave dominance and lower the ears. Honing your mind on a single thought, listening attentively, or concentrating on a physical sensation, will help you to drive up beta wave dominance and raise the ears. With practice, especially in a mirror, you’ll be able to have solid control over the ears. Advanced users will be able to get the ears to wiggle back in forth by tapping into a relaxed focus, like when DJing, lining up a golf shot, or being absorbed in painting.
Reading Your Emotions?! From Brainwaves to Moving Ears
- The forehead sensor listens to the body’s electrical signal, like a microphone
- The ear clip acts as a ground and reference, listening to non-brainwave body electricity
- The brainwave chip takes both signals and filters out all the electrical noise from the body and the ambient environment, honing in on brainwaves from 3-100 Hz
- The chip’s internal algorithms convert the brainwave data to attention and meditation scores
- Depending on one’s attention and relaxation scores, the servo motors rotate and wiggle.
We are launching with fox, bear, and bunny ears with different foam shapes. For each animal type, you may choose from four different color combinations for a total of 12 unique, colorful ears to suit your style and personality. For each animal type, there are two “cartoonish-realistic” and two “party-flavored” styles. Some of the party-flavored styles are blacklight-reactive, including the green and white bunnies and the pink and orange foxes.
Each ear consists of a fur sleeve and a polyurethane foam insert. Fur sleeves are made of premium ultra-soft shag faux fur for the outer ear, and either soft minky cuddle fleece or holographic shiny spandex for the inner ear. Fur covers the foam, and the foam slips over and grips the servo motors on the Necomimi headset, which can be removed easily to change ears. Each ear foam was designed to be lightweight, flexible, and durable.
No animals were harmed in the making of these ears.
NeuroSky manufactures the base Necomimi headset, which was conceived by Neurowear. They designed the core brainwave technology, along with the Attention and Meditation algorithms, and have been making EEG products since 2005. They work with a variety of partners, like Mattel and Toshiba, to create custom EEG solutions. Here are the components of the base headset:
- Stainless steel sensor – The sensor is dry, meaning that unlike medical EEG, no gel is needed in order to detect a signal. The sensor listens to the body’s analog biosignal and sends the raw data to a chip.
- Ear Clip – Acts as a ground and reference, listening to non-brainwave electricity as a comparison point.
- ThinkGear ASIC Module – contains the chip which filters out the electricity from the body and the ambient environment to hone in on the brainwaves. The chip focuses on brainwave data from 3-100 Hz (delta, theta, alpha, beta, and gamma waves), and then crunches the data into attention and meditation scores. Tested to be 96% accurate when compared to the gold standard for EEG.
- Battery Case – Holds 4 AAA batteries
- Power Button – Press to turn on and off. A steady neon blue light indicates power, a blinking light means that batteries are low.
- Headband – Flexible to fit heads of all sizes, from small to large
- Adjustable Strap – helps keep the headset on, even when dancing! Can be removed. Not shown.
The headset does not send electricity or anything else into or through the body or brain. The headset simply listens, like a microphone, and is completely non-invasive. This is not a medical device. It is completely safe to use this device as often as you like.
Where We're At
We’ve have all the ear prototypes completed, and we’re already wearing the prototypes out and showing them off in San Francisco and LA. NeuroSky already manufactures the base headsets. We have a partner lined up to manufacture faux fur according to specific pantone colors and thread lengths, to cut and sew the fur, to package the products. Everything is completely lined up. Now we need your support to start the ear manufacturing process.
To add a Black Emoki Shirt to any package, please donate an extra $20.
To add a pair of ears (no headset) to any package, please donate an extra $30.
If you are interested in customizing your reward, or if you have any questions, please send us an email at email@example.com and we’ll get in touch right away.
As we exceed our initial funding goals, we will update this project with new color combos and animal types.
$35K ACHIEVEMENT: We will offer furry bracelets which use the same shag faux fur colors as the ears.
Black Emoki Tee
Nick Hoffman is the President of Emoki. Aside from strategic business planning, he is passionate about the evolution of human communication, brainwave tech, meditation, yoga.
Hannah Masius is the Project Director for Emoki. As an idea maven, cultural hacker, and free expression advocate, she led a career in event production and management before bringing life to Emoki.
Devon “Devo” Frohne is brand strategy and graphic design wizard with over ten years of experience, Working for Astro Studios and Music Nation with clients Comedy Central, ESPN, Microsoft etc. He is also Co-founder at another stealth start-up and Produces music under the alias Vitamindevo.
Rachel McConnell is a maker of nearly anything as long as it is awesome. She is a founding member of two hackerspaces, a microtrustee of SF Awesome Foundation, and the former lead developer of Instructables.com. Aside from co-founding Emoki, she makes custom objects at DrShiny.com.
Tess Aquarium considers herself a Textiles Hacker; she loves to take things apart to see how they work and make them better. Her specialties include faux fur, spandex, and animal ears.
Thank you so much for supporting the launch of Emoki!
We would also like to give special thanks to those who have contributed in a major way to our project thus far: Tony Gaitatzis, Srikanth Basappa, Sean Connor, Nadya Lev, Sam Leabo, Eric Rasmussen, Dan Hull, Peter Friedman, Raven Le Faye, Alicia Marie Campbell, Lorenzo Diaz, Aleksandra Dubov, Emily Gardner, Gil Liebrecht, Justine Prior, Hemmie, Ellen Bry, and Brian Baugh.
Risks and challenges
The design is already complete. The next phase of our project lies entirely in manufacturing fur and foam for the ears, piecing them together, securing headsets from NeuroSky as part of our licensing agreement, packaging the ears with a headset, and shipping them out. While we are already in contact with all of the partners necessary to make this happen, complications can arise during this process.
The main challenges will include:
- manufacturing a consistent quality of faux fur, as we have heard from friends in the faux fur clothing and accessories industry
- sewing ears with consistency so that no seams show, longer faux fur doesn't get stuck in the seams, and that consistent shapes are maintained
We are in the process of getting samples made for us, but samples do not always represent the quality of volume production. Our partners are well trusted and are ISO certified. If a first production run turns out to be less than great quality, this could cause a delay, but we are prepared. We also have connections with professionals who can help us with legal issues and shipping overseas, among other things.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with details on what you would like to begin a discussion.
Upon successful completion of the funding period, we will send out surveys collecting info on the ears you want and your shipping address.
Brainwave animal ears were conceived by Neurowear. Our products are based on Necomimi.
Currently the headset is certified for sale in the USA, Canada, Japan, the European Union, China, and Taiwan. Ears and shirts can be shipped anywhere. We are looking for ways to ship headsets to other regions as well, especially Australia and Southeast Asia. Shipping outside the United States will be conducted with Delivery Duties Unpaid.
Yes, the base headset and core technology are the same.
4 AAA batteries
- (30 days)