About this project
Long ago, after terrible acts changed the fate of the imperial family, the Emperor called the Ninja Crusade, sending his armies to hunt down and kill every ninja in the empire. In response, ninja clans who once previously held strong, centuries-old rivalries were forced to band together against a common enemy.
It was a mission of survival.
In The Ninja Crusade 2nd Edition, ninja have lived side-by-side for nearly a decade. Working together has become second nature, especially for the young who know nothing but togetherness, except for what their elders tell them. Of course, rivalries and deceit still boil under the surface, threatening to break the peace the Lotus Coalition has founded.
The war wages on and both sides have dealt epic blows, but there is still no victor. Omens point to a final battle coming soon, which will decide the future. Who will win? Ninja or Soldier?
Pick your weapon.
Pick your clan.
Battle for the fate of the Empire!
In The Ninja Crusade 2nd Edition, players take the role of individual ninja from a variety of clans and backgrounds, crafting their personalities and experience with our new Lifepath-style system. Taking inspiration from plenty of martial arts movies, like the Sorcerer and the Snake or Seven Samurai, mixed with anime influences like Naruto: Shippuden, Avatar: The Last Airbender or Basilisk, we here at Third Eye Games have put together the ultimate ninja RPG.
- Ninja vs. The Empire: The major storyline for The Ninja Crusade 2nd Edition takes place on the battlefield, as the ninja plan strategic strikes and assault the Emperor's army (including their unique soldiers, like the Golden Lions and Executioners), and attempt to take back the empire from a madman. This style of play is often mission-based with each mission chipping away at the Emperor's hold.
- Ninja vs. Ninja: Despite the fragile peace between ninja, clan wars erupt from time to time. The participating ninja look to their allies for aid and all but forget the war at large to focus on their own shadow wars. This doesn't always include blade to blade battle, since a lot of ninja conflict also comes from political struggles. This style of play is usually a mix between missions and freeform play.
- Ninja vs. The Journey: Some ninja leave everything behind to wander the world in search of adventure, opportunities to learn new jutsu from legendary master or pursue personal goals unique to the character. This play style is mostly sandbox, as it pertains to the particular ninja involved.
Ninja Crusade 2nd Edition is a corebook, meaning it will contain all of the rules you need to create characters and play the game. This includes:
- 10 ninja clans to pick from (plus an 11th clanless option)
- Detailed history of the Ninja and the Izou Empire
- Lifepath-style character creation system
- Brand new d10 mechanics, redesigned from the ground up to bring stunning ninja action to your table
- Opponent systems making it easy for GameMasters (GMs) to come up with enemies on the fly
- New Dynamic Environments that make your choice of terrain a real part of the fight.
- Plenty of advice on how to run the game
The final product is estimated to be 8.5 x 11, 240 pages, hardcover, black & white interior art, selling for $40 when it hits the markets. We have the amazing Daniel Wong (http://oshouki.com) who will be tackling the majority of the artwork for the book itself. We are honored to have such a talent to bring this awesome game to life.
Hey Eloy, Why is this Kickstarter Goal higher than your others?
We are taking a different approach with Ninja Crusade 2nd Edition.
1. First, in the past, expenses were kept to a minimum because I wrote the majority of the game myself. This time we have an amazing team of writers, who would all like to get paid.
2. We are entering a new 8.5x11 Hardcover market. Third Eye Games has been dipping its toe in with past releases, but we are going all in and making all of the books hardcover this time. We're doing an offset run to up the quality of the books for everyone involved, but this also requires a larger upfront investment vs. the PoD route we've taken in the past. The hope is that this new edition will also be packed with way more material than 1st Edition, which means higher word counts and higher expenses. The end result will be a better book all around.
3. Lastly, while the 1st Edition book is great, it was created on a shoe-string budget, and we really want this game to shine. We're investing a large part of the Kickstarter goal (about 1/3) to pumping this book full of amazing art to really drive home the themes, moods and action of Ninja Crusade 2nd Edition. We hope you have faith that we will deliver an awesome product you will feel very happy to have backed.
Ninja Crusade 2nd Edition utilizes a brand new system, evolved from where Third Eye Games began with influences of where it hopes to go. The new system is called the Chakra System and focuses the company's third eye to deliver an amazing experience. If you'd like more system info beyond this brief intro, feel free to check out (and join) the Ninja Crusade G+ Community.
The Chakra is a d10 Skill Combo system, definitely a new direction from the d20 used for 1st Edition. With 20 skills, players can come up with different combinations to tackle a number of challenges in unique ways. Mechanically, when faced with a task, you choose two skills, leveled 1-5, and add their totals together to create your dicepool. Those dice are rolled against a target number of successes needed.
Instead of giving you a ton of points to spend on various aspects of your character, Ninja Crusade 2nd Edition guides the player through a life path character generation. Each point along the way fills in an important piece of the puzzle that makes up the character, from birth to personal tragedies to martial training options.
Each choice during character creation brings with it both a good and a bad characteristic to the ninja, called Gifts and Triggers. Gifts provide a bonus in certain situations, while Triggers are potential hazards GMs and Players can use to cause problems for their character in exchange good Karma. An example of this is a Brave character gaining bonuses vs. fear, but maybe also falling into overconfidence at times. This encourages system interaction and creates awesome roleplaying opportunities.
With a new system, comes an overhaul of how conflicts are handled for ninja. Like with normal task resolution, combat is performed using skill combos that fit the strategy characters are taking. Not only do they gain access to normal Actions they can take on their Turn in any given Round, but they also receive Dynamic Actions which can be used on the fly for a variety of effects, such as extra attacks, jutsu deflection, resisting physical or mental damage, molding ki and many others.
While combat is traditional in a sense, with familiar Initiative and Turns, the Chakra System throws the idea of waiting around for your Turn out of the window, creating a real back and forth for all the combatants throughout the battle.
The Chakra System is key to the high-flying battles you can have in The Ninja Crusade 2nd Edition, with all the sudden twists and crazy powers you'd expect from a ninja RPG.
Character Sheet Preview
For the duration of this Kickstarter, Wu Xing: The Ninja Crusade (1st Edition), original released in 2009, will be available as a Pay-What-You-Want product through DriveThruRPG. Anyone interested in checking out the 1st Edition can simply download it and give it a read. If you like it, please consider backing Ninja Crusade 2nd Edition.
Big Changes from 1st to 2nd Edition
- The Combat Tracker and Speeds have been removed from combat and replaced with a new system which speeds up the flow of combat while still providing a back-and-forth between combatants.
- Lifepath CharGen instead of straight point-buy, making the ninja feel like more than just a collection of numbers and more like a fleshed-out person.
- d10 dice pools instead of 1d20, a key change that alters the way the game feels in an awesome way.
- Streamlined use of Yin and Yang, since the Permanent and Temporary Chi systems were confusing in 1st Ed.
- Change in some terminology to make the game feel more cohesive
- More crazy martial arts, powers and abilities. Seriously, we're packing a lot into this next edition.
- Physical and Mental Damage, instead of just Physical, providing any more way for someone to dish out the hurt.
- Same 10 Izou Clans, but their Gifts have been cleaned up and clarified in the Chakra System.
Character Packs #1 $15 - Features 9 pregenerated Ninja, letting you jump right into the action.
Character Packs #2 $15 - Features another 9 pregenerated Ninja, letting you jump right into the action.
Additional Copies of the Book $45 (US) or $65 (Non-US) - You may add additional copies of The Ninja Crusade 2nd Edition to your pledge. Shipping already included in these totals.
Original Art $250 - Get the original pencils for some of the games iconic art pieces.
- Core Ensamble - Unclaimed
!!UNLOCKED!! - $13,000 - Conversion for The Firebrands: If we hit this goal, backers receive the updated PDF of The Firebrands (Clanbook focusing on the Blazing Dancers and Virtuous Body Gardeners) for free, converted to the new Chakra System.
!!UNLOCKED!! - $14,000 - Conversion for Land of Seed and Blossom: If we hit this goal, backers receive the updated PDF of Land of Seed and Blossom (Nation book featuring lots of new character options) for free, converted to the new Chakra System.
!!UNLOCKED!! - $15,000 - Conversion for Truth and Lies: If we hit this goal, backers receive the updated PDF for Truth and Lies (Clanbook focusing on the Will of Iron and Hidden Strands of Fate) for free, converted to the new Chakra System.
LOCKED - $17,000 - Additional Art: We will pack approximately 15-20 additional pieces of Daniel Wong's awesome art into this book.
LOCKED - $19,000 - Writer's Raise: This gets all of the freelancers, devoting their hard time and effort into making Ninja Crusade 2nd Edition as great as possible, a nice raise.
LOCKED - $21,000 - Uncovered Scrolls: Oni - Gives more info on running Ninja Crusade 2nd Edition games with demons. Will include more rules for battling demons and how to create half-oni ninja.
LOCKED - $23,000 - Uncovered Scrolls: Beast Realms - take a trip into the animal realms of Ninja Crusade 2nd Edition. Will include expanded rules for Summoners and the possessed, those whose celestial animals live within them just waiting to take over.
LOCKED - $25,000 - Uncovered Scrolls: Spirit Kingdoms - A deep guide to the spirit worlds for Ninja Crusade 2nd Edition, including new ghost stories to be told and how one's lost Elders can shape their fate.
More to come, as we raise in funding.
In alphabetical order...
Brandon K. Aten is a freelance writer and game designer from Louisville, KY, where he lives with his wife and two children. He has been writing professionally since 2004 and has worked with a number of companies, including Palladium Books, Third Eye Games and his own company Wet Ink Games. Brandon holds a B.A. in Humanities from the University of Louisville and a Masters of Theological Studies from Drew Theological School.
Maggie Carroll is a freelance writer and editor. A self-professed geek and tattoo enthusiast, she lives in St. John’s, NL with four of her five kids, two cats, one dog and a husband, where she dreams of worlds that lie just beyond the next corner. She is found online at scrawlbythesea.wordpress.com, and on Twitter where she goes by the handle @epiphling.
Danielle DeLisle lives in Texas with her supportive husband and two goofy dogs, but she is a Vermonter in her heart. Danielle is a graduate of Franklin Pierce University (B.A. in Anthropology), Southeastern Louisiana University (M.A. in English Language & Literature), and the Odyssey Writing Workshop (Class of 2013). She is an associate member of the Horror Writers Association and can be found online at www.danielledelisle.com.
Darrell Hayhurst lives and works in beautiful Tucson, Arizona. He isn’t known at all for being the designer of “Hard Vacuum”. He lives on a steady diet wuxia and telenovelas and just can’t stop writing role-playing games. You can find him online tinkering on something at www.frameworksgames.com.
John D. Kennedy lives in Indianapolis with his cat Flot and dog Cokie. He graduated from Purdue University with a B.A. in History, English, and Writing. He is a member of the Independent Game Designer Network and when he is not writing and designing tabletop games he rescues lost canines and plays miniature war games.
Eloy Lasanta is the mind behind Third Eye Games, and the original creator of Ninja Crusade back in 2009. He's an ENnie-Nominated game designer, who has worked not only on his own games, but also on other RPGs like the Firefly RPG from Margaret Weis Productions, KidWorld from VajraEnterprises and some upcoming Onyx Path releases.
Guy Edward Larke was born into the golden era of the martial arts craze in North America. A Kung Fu fan he switched his preference upon seeing the Shogun mini series. There he discovered the shadow assassins called ninja. Shortly thereafter he discovered rpgs. His love of Asian arts, partially inspired by gaming, led him to Korea 15 years ago. He lives in Seoul with his wife Gi Ryung and son Alex. He is a martial arts instructor and martial arts journalist by profession.
Danielle Lauzon is a freelance writer living in Houston, TX with her two dogs, two cats, and husband. She works as a lab technician by day, and is an avid gamer, LARPer, and writer at all other times. She enjoys all things sci-fi, fantasy, and horror, and is currently wondering how to fit all three of those genres into the same game.
You may recognize Rucht Lilavivat's name from White Wolf's Ravenloft line, or Paradigm Concepts Witch Hunter series. He developed monster and threat books for both of those lines, and was nominated for an ENnie for the Grand Tome of Adversaries.
When he isn't writing monster books, he's also directing the tabletop gaming panels of DragonCon. Aside from all of that, he's busy hiding from all of the ninjas. They don't want him to put all of their secrets in this book.
Risks and challenges
This is Third Eye Games' 13th Kickstarter, and all of our previous 12 were successfully funded. That is to say that we know what we're doing and know how to deliver a product on time and with pizazz.
Many of the first drafts are in from the writers already, and art is well underway. Barring emergencies, there are no foreseeable hurdles we'll need to tackle that we haven't tackled before. We are working with a new printer, Kraken Printing (http://krakenprint.com), but their record is impeccable in our industry, so I have no fear of any delays from their end.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)