About this project
- Add a print copy of Divine Instruments (Fate) for $20. Added (6/10/15)
- Add a print copy of Minions of the Source (Fate) for $20. Added (6/18/15)
Third Eye Games' ground-breaking RPG Part-Time Gods was released in 2011: a game of balancing one's mortal and divine life. Maintaining one's human bonds and deciding how much to give in to one's godhood are all strong themes running through the game, which is still one of Third Eye Games' highest selling gamelines.
In Part-Time Gods, you take on the role of brand new gods in our modern world today. The Source, theorized to be the creator of all things in the universe, was sealed away by the old gods who are now mostly dead and gone, but the entity no struggled in its cage and is trying to free itself. this has leaked its energy into our world and started creating hundreds of new gods, and even more monsters (called Outsiders) who are out for god's blood. All of this, while you also attempt to maintain your normal life. Dealing too deep into your godhood forces you to cut ties with your human side, but clinging too closely limits your growth. It is a hard choice, but one every god must make.
The original system was the DGS-Lite, which fully explored the themes and moods of the game, but we are also huge fans of the Fate System from Evil Hat Productions. With the help of Encoded Designs (Phil Vecchione, Chris Sneizak, Bob Everson, and Shawn Merwin) we've fully realized Part-Time Gods using the Fate Core system.
The final product for Part-Time Gods of Fate is all but completely done at this point. It is going through another round of proofing, but all of the current rules have been written and playtested. The book will end up being 6x9 and sell for $25 in print. It is currently in layout (which will be different from the Beta), so we expect to have a final product to you pretty quickly after the Kickstarter ends.
If you have played Fate Core System games or other Fate games, Part-Time Gods of Fate will be familiar to you, while having some new elements, designed to help emulate the world of Part-Time Gods.
What is the Same?
Here is a quick list of the major similarities:
- Aspects: It would not be Fate Core without aspects. Nothing has changed about aspects or how they are used.
- Skills, Stunts, Stress, and Consequences: These are still used in PTGoF. There are some new skills and stunts, but how they are used has not changed.
- Four Actions: Overcome, create advantage, defend, and attack are still the four major actions.
- Contest, Challenge, and Conflict: These major dramatic rule structures remain the same and are used as described in the Fate Core System book.
What is Different?
A good Fate conversion is not without some unique mechanics to help the Fate rules fit the world of Part-Time Gods. If you are familiar with Fate Core, you will find some unique elements.
- Territory Creation: We have included a process for creating your pantheon and territory before play begins. Those familiar with the Dresden Files Roleplaying Game will find some similarities.
- Character Aspects: Characters still have aspects, but rather than using the “phase trio” of Fate Core, we have re-structured aspects to represent the duality of the human and divine sides of characters.
- Manifestations: These are divine skills. These skills have a supernatural feel, and they are the skills that gods and Outsiders use to create supernatural effects.
- Entitlements: Entitlements are divine stunts. Mechanically they are stunts, but they have a supernatural feel.
- Relics and Worshippers: These are divine extras that gods can take to expand their powers.
- Bonds: To represent the parts of characters’ lives that keep them grounded and human, we have created a system called Bonds, which combines aspects and a new stress track.
- Antagonist Fate Points: Supernatural creatures also have Spark, which are represented by fate points, and they use them to fuel their abilities or invoke aspects.
We have the complete Beta rules for Part-Time Gods of Fate for you to download and try out, including pregenerated gods and an awesome adventure. It is set to Pay-What-You-Want on DriveThruRPG for the duration of the Kickstarter!
If you have any comments/questions about the Beta, feel free to email: email@example.com
UNLOCKED - $4500 - Divine Instruments Conversion
At this funding level, we'll set Encoded Design off to start converting all of the new rules of Worshippers, Relics and Divine Territory from Divine Instruments. Backers will receive the PDF of this Stretch Goal for free once unlocked or can purchase the print copy for $20. Due: Oct 2015.
UNLOCKED - $6000 - Minions of the Source Conversion
At this level, we work on the conversion of the material from Minions of the Source, including how to incorporate the Source directly into your games and tons of new Outsiders. Backers will receive the PDF of this Stretch Goal for free once unlocked or can purchase the print copy for $20. Due: Nov 2015.
Risks and challenges
There are no foreseen hurdles for us to jump for this project, since it's been months in the making at this stage (writing is done, editing is mostly done and all art is done). Of course, there could always be delays in terms of layout and shipping, but even those (if they arise) will be minimal.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)