What's different in this Relaunch?
First off, we've lowered the funding goal to $10,000 to fund only the Empire’s Reign sourcebook. The original campaign covered a reprint of The Ninja Crusade 2nd Edition corebook as well, which is estiamted at $5,000, but we have shifted this to a stretch goal this time around. In addition to that, we are offering a few different tiers that have been requested by several backers of the original campaign. All of this together, we hope, will spell a successful Kickstarter this time around.
Empire's Reign is a sourcebook for The Ninja Crusade 2nd Edition, Third Eye Games' awesome ninja RPG where players take the role of ninja from once-rival clans fighting against the Empire. It has over-the-top ninja action, inspired by anime, like Naruto or Ninja Scroll, and martial arts movies, like Journey to the West or Sorcerer and the White Snake, and has gone on to receive multiple 5-Star reviews from RPG critics. Its mechanics, called the Chakra System, utilize d10 dice pools and flexible mechanics to allow for deep ninja stories. It also had a successful Kickstarter, which you can find HERE.
If you are interested in trying out The Ninja Crusade 2nd Edition QuickStart, you can find that HERE.
The Ninja Crusade 2nd Edition corebook goes deep into ninja culture and how they work, but views the Empire and its Emperor through the lens of an enemy. There are two sides to every story, however. The Empire's Reign sourcebook will give players a look at the Empire from the point of view of the Emperor, the soldiers who fight against the ninja because they believe in the cause and the average citizens who suffer in the wake of this war. The Izou Army fights for the protection of the land from the chaotic ninja factions that continually cause destruction and put the lives of every Izou citizen in danger. It is a fight worth fighting, in their eyes, and now the players get to take up that mantle.
Empire’s Reign will include:
- New character creation options, like new Choices, Fighting, Weapon and 99 Styles
- A look at the inside of the Izou Army, how it works and why they think they can beat the ninja
- Insights into the Emperor's mysterious resurrection
- A complete change in scope, making it possible to run the game from the Empire's POV against the ninja
- New Mass Combat rules
- Clans replaced with Assignments, allowing a character to be an Engineer, Executioner, Silver Blade or even a Golden Lion (and a few others)
The final product will be between 100-110 pages at 8.5x11, and softcover, as all the sourcebooks for The Ninja Crusade 2nd Edition have been so far. The art will continue to be high-quality pieces supplied by Gunship Revolution, and they have already done an amazing cover for the book, reflecting the motif of it being the opposite of the corebook. In it, you'll see the Empire Soldiers surrounded by ninja and holding their own. Great piece!
Go check out the Q&A we did about Empire’s Reign and about the continuation of The Ninja Crusade 2nd Edition gameline as a whole. https://youtu.be/GMZdgaI4oX4
Izou Soldier Assignments
I covered this a little bit in the Q&A, but not everyone has watched it and even if you did, my son's cute face was pretty distracting. So, here's a breakdown of Assignments that will be featured for new player options in Empire’s Reign.
- Black Smokes: Soldiers who specialize in gun-fu and marksmanship. They are the perfect ranged fighters and will have have a ton of way to do trick-shots and to his vitally impossible targets.
- Golden Lions: The Empire's ninja clan who have no true history to themselves. Instead, they've learned how to steal secrets from other clans and implement them against the Lotus Coalition.
- Engineers: Do you want to use explosives, gear and gadgets to combat the ninja? Then you want to be an Engineer, for sure! These are the geniuses of the Izou Army, who outsmart the ninja with clever traps and tools.
- The Enlightened: Monks of the Empire's sanctioned religion, joining forces with the Izou army to get rid of the ninja who would likely overturn everything and disturb the balance. They focus on masterful techniques without the use of ki.
- Executioners: These are the enforcers of the Izou Army, and are instrumental to the fight against ninja due to their jutsu-negation abilities. They are expert interrogators and are all around deadly.
- Iron Breakers: These Izou Soldiers are premiere beast masters and trackers, and are the force behind the enslavement of Celestial Animals for the Emperor. They are dangerous in and out of battle.
- Jadesmiths: Expert negotiators and battlefield strategists for the Izou, Jadesmiths are an important part of any brigade. Not only are they born leaders, but they have the ability to heal on top of that.
- Silver Blades: These are the masterful swordsmen (and swordswomen) who serve both the Emperor and a strict code of honor. Few ever cross paths with a Silver Blade and live to tell about it.
The initial goal is going to cover the development, writing, editing, art and printing for Empire's Reign, the newest sourcebook for The Ninja Crusade 2nd Edition.
$15,000 Stretch Goal - Reprint of Corebook
At $15,000, we'll do a reprint of The Ninja Crusade 2nd Edition (the original print was for 500 and stock is already very low)
$25,000 Stretch Goal - Unlock a Sourcebook
At this level of funding, backers will get the chance to vote on another Ninja Crusade 2nd Edition sourcebook to also go into development. We'll get to vote again at $35k, $45k and so on, if we continue to raise enough money to fund new projects.
- Realms of Hell (Expansion book for Demons and Hell dimensions)
- Spirits and Beasts (Expansion book for Spirits and Celestial Animals)
- Coin and Fang (Clanbook for Wardens and Hounds)
- Poisoned Fruit (Clanbook for Herbalists and Serpents)
- Ink the Water (Clanbook for Chronicles and Shadows)
- Land of Crashing Waves (Nation book)
- Land of Exalted Flame (Nation book)
- Land of Five Blades (Nation book)
- Land of Mountains and Valleys (Nation book)
There are a number of things you can add to your pledge that may not be part of the actual tiers. If you want any of these items, just add this amount to your total pledge amount. Once the survey goes out, you will be able to select exactly what your extra money will go toward.
- Additional Corebooks $45 US or $60 International - Add another print copy of The Ninja Crusade 2nd Edition to your order
- Additional Sourcebooks $25 US or $35 International - Add another print copy of any of our sourcebooks to your order
- Additional PDFs $15 for corebook or $10 for sourcebook - Get another download code for one of our PDFs
- Character Pack #1 $15 - Features 9 pregenerated characters from The Ninja Crusade 2nd Edition, letting you jump right into the action
- Character Pack #2 $15 - Features another 9 pregenerated characters from The Ninja Crusade 2nd Edition
- Character Pack #3 $15 - Features 9 pregenerated Empire soldiers, giving you a wide range of options
- GM Screen $10 - Add a hardback GM Screen to your order, with all the essential rules for running The Ninja Crusade 2nd Edition!
- Create an Original Character $125 - Create your own character to be featured in the Empire's Reign or one of the many Stretch Goals (there is no cap to this Add-on, so you can have multiple Original Characters if you want). This includes a complete write-up, history, stats and original artwork for your character
Risks and challenges
We have plenty of writers lined up and our artists are ready to get cracking. There is little in the way of obstacles, but the more we unlock in terms of stretch goals, the longer the expected time should be to receive each new book in the line.
Once the Kickstarter completes, we'll be providing a detailed release schedule so everyone knows what to expect.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (20 days)