About this project
Update: Stretch goals! Thanks so much to everyone who helped us make our initial goal a week early. We're inspired by you to aim higher, and create more cool stuff. Here are the next two levels:
- At $3750 every backer at any level will receive a top tube/water bottle sticker with Kelli's "dancer" drawing, to decorate your bike and remind you to take a moment to stretch at those long red lights.
- At $4,000 we will produce a limited run of (possibly reflective) spoke cards featuring snazzy images and text from the book.
Many of you helped fund the pocket-sized, zine version of Pedal, Stretch, Breathe: The Yoga of Bicycling, written and illustrated by Kelli Refer. Now help us make it into a bigger, more awesome book!
The Pedal, Stretch, Breathe book is a greatly expanded second edition, more than doubling in size and containing more stretches and exercises and a broader view of the intersection of yoga and bicycle transportation and sport.
A major new section focuses on muscle groups--particularly those heavily used by cyclists in the quads and core. A section on seasonal influences and ayurvedic principles provides guidance on activity and eating throughout the year. The nine philosophical principles of yoga are applied to bicycling. Even more poses are described, targeting the specific muscle groups used when cycling. And finally, a glossary of basic yoga and bike terms provides a handy reference. Everything is presented in a way that's accessible to absolute beginners and regular practitioners alike in either yoga or cycling.
We're also keeping most of the original content that has brought in glowing reviews, including the flow chart of pre-ride stretches you can do with your bike (one of the rewards includes a poster of the chart!), the "hit the wall" recovery stretches for hips and knees, tips on breathing and spine alignment, and chakra philosophy applied to you and your bicycle.
Why a second edition? In short, because the original one sold out in just a few months and the demand hasn't slowed down! Clearly, a lot of people get the connection between yoga and riding bikes. A book length volume will allow Kelli to write and illustrate the topics she's been thinking about since the first edition came out. We are excited to offer it to you.
Pedal, Stretch, Breathe is following the grand tradition of many publications, graduating from 44 page stapled form to a 96 page (!) book with a spine, more comprehensive content, new illustrations, and a sturdy matte cover so you can throw the book in your bike pannier and head off to the park for some stretching.
- Pedal, Stretch, Breathe-themed unlined journals, designed by Kelli and produced just for this Kickstarter project (preview coming soon!)
- A set of Pollinator Pathway greeting cards with an illustration from the book on the front and an inspiring quotation on the back. Here's a snapshot:
- Posters showing the pre-ride two-minute warmup "Find Your Flow" chart, for you to hang up next to where you get ready to get on your bike as an extra incentive to spend a couple minutes doing this stuff. They'll look sort of like this:
- The last remaining copies of the original, out-of-print zine
- A Pedal, Stretch, Breathe workshop with Kelli (in Seattle).
- And the book itself, of course!
About the author and illustrator
Kelli Refer has been teaching yoga since 2009 and riding her bicycle far longer. She says of her joint passion for yoga and bicycling:
Riding my bicycle around the beautiful hills of Seattle has cultivated strength in my body and passion in my heart. I believe that yoga and bicycling greatly inform each other on both physical and mental level. Both are great tools for connecting people to their bodies and the present. I want to take my yoga out of the studio and put it on the bike path. It is my hope to bring yoga to more bike rides and riders, showing them how to stretch without a mat and even using your bicycle as a prop.
Thank you! Your support will make it possible to produce this book. We can't wait to reach our goal and be able to hit "send" on the email to the printer. Help make that moment happen by supporting and spreading the word about this project.
With gratitude! Namaste.
Video by Robyn Ellis
Music in video: As Colorful As Ever by Broke For Free (creative commons)
Risks and challenges
The zine version of this book was funded on Kickstarter and produced and shipped only a couple months late (such is the way of indie publishing projects!). But we've got our production kinks worked out and this one ought to be right on schedule. We'll keep you posted either way.
This book can only go to print once this project is fully funded. Thank you for being part of it!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (31 days)