Stealth action and massive bosses. Take hostages, lay traps, assassinate politicians, and decide whether to uphold an ancient society of shapeshifters that've guided humanity's advances or destroy them all.
While Earth was torn apart by war, and populations wiped out by other unknown causes, only one isolated city survived unscathed: Plovdiv. It remained a peaceful city dedicated to freedom and equality for its entire all-woman population. But who controls this city? Why did only Plovdiv not only survive, but thrive?
These are questions that few, if any, consider. Life is good. The streets are safe. Crime has all but vanished.
But is it true?
The image of stability is thanks to assassins hired to take out any dissidents before they become notable. These assassins aren't simply hired by the government, but any person or organization with a dispute and willingness to pay up. It's a prevalent but unacknowledged concern within Plovdiv.
Our heroine, Ceyda Farhi, has been marginalized by society since day one. As a Bulgarian Turk and trans woman, she was often not seen as a true Bulgarian before the revolution, and not a true woman after it, which led her to life of crime in order to make a living.
While carrying out some routine assassinations, Ceyda becomes aware of something: these assassinations are anything but routine.All of these missions involve an organized revolt against the government and foundations of society. As she becomes aware of the force behind it, an ancient organization of otherworldly beings who've guided humanity's advances (and downfalls) since the dawn of time, there's one question lingering in the back of her mind: in a society where being a woman is a prerequisite for being human, does someone who's often not considered a "whole woman" have any duty to save those who hate her? And would they even believe her if she told them?
"So what kind of game is this?"
- Open-ended mission-based action platformer with stealth elements. You'll take on missions to advance the plot. Some focus on action, some focus on stealth, and some may unexpectedly flip from one to the other. Important assassinations targets will often involve massive boss battles after they reveal their true forms.
- FREEDOM TO ROAM: An open-ended, interconnected world to explore.
- VARIED ENVIRONMENTS: Everything you'd expect in a city. Apartment complexes, parks, government offices, massive downtown area, warehouses, and a mysterious realm that lies outside this earth.
The game is broken up into missions that advance the plot. However, missions aren't necessarily discrete; some can overlap, some are completely optional, and some may have branching paths.
- STEALTH MISSIONS: Assassins need to be sneaky, so numerous missions involve avoiding being spotted by enemies, hiding in darkness, sneaking through vents, and taking hostages when things heat up.
- HEAVY ON ACTION: Not all targets go down without a fight. Sometimes you need to fight your way to them. Sometimes your targets will be plotting a counter assassination.
- FIGHTING CORRUPTION AT ITS SOURCE: Sometimes one assassination isn't enough. Some people might have far bigger plans in mind. You might be asked to cut the power to a region or destroy a massive tower.
"So what exactly can Ceyda do?"
- MEAT SHIELDS: Sometimes running in guns ablaze isn't a good idea. In these situations you can grab civilians or unaware enemies and use them as a human shield. Note that this doesn't work on enemies that lack human empathy! Hostages are also beneficial for gaining access to restricted areas. Just find the right person and make them open the door.
- MAKE NOISE: People assigned to guard duty get a little leery when they start hearing a ruckus. Ceyda will unintentionally make noises just by moving around, but she can also distract enemies with triggered explosions and through other items.
- MAKE TRAPS: Through sticky bombs and other weapons, Ceyda can make enemies unwittingly walk right into danger.
- HIDE & SNEAK: Ceyda can hide in recesses in walls and wait for enemies pass, slip under a box for cover, or escape through tunnels and vent shafts.
- SHOOT: Because her gun isn't just for decoration.
A cozy downtown area that serves as a nexus between areas
A post-labor society where robots have replaced people in many roles.
Countless ways to distract and evade enemies.
Soundtrack by effoharkay and squidfurnace.
NOTE: All backers get a mention in the credits!
Keep in mind that all contributor-designed game content will need to fit the overall vibe of the game! We'll do our best to work with contributors to make their suggestions fit, but some things may require some reworking. Example: big, pink, fluffy poodle enemies would be far too out of place in Aerannis, but if you insist on poodles, we can rework them to be robo-poodles or demonic goo poodles or something similar.
More info about us for those interested!
Our tumblr (development updates): http://fffbbb.tumblr.com
- Page with more info on the game's plot (press info for journalists too): http://ektomarch.com/aerannis
Small note: For those wondering what we're developing Aerannis in, it's Lua+Löve.
Risks and challenges
Aerannis is pretty well along into development and everything's been going smoothly. Barring extreme accidents, nothing should stand in the way of completion. We do our best to keep our development costs low, but the more funding we receive, the more people we can bring onto the team to expand the game.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)