EKOOR Beacons: Add Proximity Intelligence to your Smart Home
EKOOR Beacons: Add Proximity Intelligence to your Smart Home
Create regions in your home ,define alerts when you enter/leave them and control literally any smart device dependent on proximity
Create regions in your home ,define alerts when you enter/leave them and control literally any smart device dependent on proximity Read more
About this project
Isn't it always inconvenient to open your smart phone, then open an app to control any smart home device.
Now you have a better solution: hands free control from EKOOR Beacons. Have your bluetooth LE on and the rest is taken care, automatically.
Furthermore you can set your smart devices to only work when you or someone is closeby saving energy costs as well.
What are EKOOR Proximity Beacons
Beacons are small low energy Bluetooth devices that you can place anywhere at you home, office, retail store, museum etc. They allow you to receive notifications or automate and control smart things automatically based on location or proximity of your smart phone.
Powered from Green Energy
Our Beacons are powered exclusively from indoor light and you don’t have to think about changing batteries may be forever.
- Three Mobile App Choices for Control & Alerts
Using Beecon iOS App from Beacon Sandwich
What can you do with Beecon App & EKOOR Beacons?
- Create beacon regions (e.g: kitchen) to trigger actions or notifications
- Turn on/off Philip’s Hue and LIFX smart Light bulbs depending on region
- Control Infrared Appliances (Additional hardware required**) when you enter or leave a region
- If your smart device is not directly supported by the App: IFTTT and URL actions allow you to connect and control virtually anything that supports HTTP or HTTPS.
- Send a tweet, open a URL or launch a certain IOS App when you enter or leave a region
See here for more info
** " Beecon App allows you to control home appliances that are compatible with infrared remote control. To do so, you need to have an iTachinfrared controller made by Global Caché”
Using BeaconThings iOS App from Samsung SmartThings
- Create beacon regions (e.g: kitchen) to trigger actions or notifications depending on regions
- Create SmartApps or SmartRules to make your home take actions based on these beacons/regions. e.g: Deactivate Home Monitoring
Using EKOOR IOS and Android Admin Apps
- Set and trigger notifications, open URLs dependent on range to the Beacons
- Phillips Hue, LIFX lighting or infrared appliances (compatible with an infrared remote iTachinfrared controller made by Global Caché) with Beecon App
- Any other smartdevice which supports HTTP or HTTPS through IFTTT and URL actions through Beecon App (Currently HomeKit accessories cannot be automatically controlled with iBeacons or regions)
- Samsung Smart Things with BeaconThings App
- Buy Beacons
- Place Beacons in regions. (e.g.: kitchen, living room etc.)
- Register Beacons with an App from above depending on your requirement
- Create regions and actions with rules
Winner of IOT Awards 2015/16 for the Category "Biggest Social Impact"
Ready for Production
Our engineers have optimized the design of the Beacon with many iterations up to date and here is where we stand now:
- Both EKOOR-B and EKOOR-LR circuits have been thoroughly tested and are production ready now. We have already sourced manufacturers to make these Boards.
- We have already made the Mold and a sample run for the ABS plastic enclosure and are ready for mass production
- Firmware development is complete. please refer to our developer pages for more information on Beacon capabilities
- Beacon Management Portal and REST-API are complete. Check out our Beacon Portal and REST-API for more information
- Android and IOS Admin Apps are complete for iBeacon detection. Work is progressing currently to include eddystone functionality to both IOS and Android Apps.
- SDK libraries for iBeacon functionality is complete. Currently working on extending the SDKs to include eddystone functionality.
- Our Beacon circuits derive FCC and TC certifications, but would be subjecting to an assessment soon to confirm the above.
Why we need your help
We need to lower the cost of each Beacon to make this technology affordable to anyone. In fact we want to bring the cost of the Beacon closer to the cost of other beacon products in the market. Because we want everyone to use green energy at an affordable cost. This means we need to make our production volume larger as some of the key elements of the Beacons are expensive in small quantities. We would also use your contribution towards certification verification and also doing the final finishes on our software stack.
Founder & CEO @ EKOOR
EKOOR was founded by Gayan Gamage to greenegize the Internet of Things world, especially when there is a sudden uproar of smart devices which could easily surpass 21 Billion by 2020 according to some statistics.
Gayan is an Electrical and Computer Engineer by profession and had been the Lead engineer, Project Manager for two Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) Startups.
Gayan is supported by a team of highly qualified Engineers and a dozen of very creative freelancers from around the world from graphic design, package design, to 3D modelling who had been EKOOR’s greatest assets from the very beginning.
Risks and challenges
We have spent almost close to two years in research and development to deliver the best Beacon platform out in the market by conducting close to 6 iterations on the hardware. The resulting product is guaranteed to work under our performance criteria described at www.developer.ekoor.io
We have enlisted a world-class Japanese Electronic manufacturing services company to bring these products to our backers with the highest quality. Components will be acquired from around the world, the photovoltaic cells will be specifically built for us by our North American manufacturer.
We have already issued the POs for an initial production of 120 units which will be ready by the end of January. We have taken in to account that component lead times will potentially cause a delay in delivering the Beacons to our backers.
Since it is not possible to forecast the required quantity of the beacons in advance, we are not able to give an accurate delivery date. But we have conservatively estimated a April-May 2016 delivery date considering that the photovoltaic cells have to be built based on an order after the campaign ends with lead times of 1.5 months for 20K units.
Software & Firmware Stack:
We have developed our software stack to be open, so that you can even use third party beacons with it. See below for an overview of the current status of the software stack, the whole stack is ready to be used with some minor development efforts which will be completed before end of January 2016. There is always constant improvements going to the stack to make it better.
- Beacon firmware 100% complete
- Beacon Management System with API is 100% complete
Please visit www.bms.ekoor.io & http://developer.ekoor.io/RESTAPI/Rest/ for more Info
- Beacon Admin/ Demo Apps are 85% complete with minor development efforts. You can download our Android and IOS iBeacon detection Apps from APP store. We will upload the Apps with complete functionality by end of February 2016.
- Some work on the Mobile SDK libraries remain for both Android and IOS to include Beacon configuration functionality and eddystone integration which will be completed before end of February 2016.
- Vidvolo Location Management Services back end and the Android and IOS white label Apps are also complete (Our intention is to extend this system to a Indoor Location API with indoor maps, content etc.)
Support this project
- (40 days)