Preface: These pens are not for everyone. They are pens that are for people that appreciate quality and are willing to spend a little extra on having something that is fairly unique. EiMIM stands for Everything in Moderation, Including Moderation. Most of the time I try to keep things as simple as possible, but every once in a while I need to embrace indulgence. Will a $2 pen write? Absolutely. The thing is, there is no soul in that pen. It was produced with a million other pens exactly like it. These pens are different.
Check out the review The-Gadgeteer.com did:
We all love machined pens. It is a fact. If you haven't tried one, you have to. The weight and feel of machined metal is just amazing. There is a definite sense from first picking it up that there is something special. It starts with the materials. This pen body, back, and cap are made from 7075 aluminum, and the clip is Grade 5 (Ti6Al4V) titanium.
These pens feature distinct "lay" to show off it is absolutely a machined product - something we should all be proud of. This texture give them an amazing appearance and feels even better in your hand.
- EiMIM X - 4.5" (11.2cm) long closed 4.8" long when open, 0.437" (1.11cm) in diameter, 24 grams with G2 Mini (0.5mm, black ink) Refill
- EiMIM Y - 5.2" (13.0 cm) long closed 5.5" long when open, 0.437" (1.11cm) diameter, 30 grams with Fisher Space Pen (fine point, black ink) Refill. Side note - every part of this pen is made in the USA, from refill to where the metals are extruded.
- EiMIM Z - 5.6" (14.2 cm) long closed 5.9" long when open, 0.437" (1.11cm) diameter, 32 grams with Pilot G2 (0.38mm, black ink) Refill
All pens will be offered with a Mil-A-8625F Type 3 Class 2 hard anodized finish on the aluminum parts. Hard anodizing is much different from other anodizing processes as it penetrates far deeper into the metal to provide an incredibly hard and tough exterior (it brings the surface hardness to well beyond the standards for even the highest grades of titanium). It will be offered in the following colors:
- Dark Blue
- Dark Red
- Desert Sand
The clips will be offered in glass bead blasted titanium. Glass bead blasting gives the natural gray color a matte finish that contrasts beautifully with the shinier anodized colors.
This stand is magnetic to keep the pen in place. The added feel of magnetism when the pen is put in and taken out of the stand is just right. It is bead blasted 304 stainless steel to give it extra heft given the small dimensions (0.618" tall and 1" in diameter - the golden ratio!). It makes the perfect addition to any desk or night stand.
Hand this pen to a stranger and watch as they marvel at its precision and seamless design. Watch as they wonder where the cap ends and the pen begins. Absolute precision shows in how the pieces fit together.
There are optional o-rings that help secure the clip, and one near the tip of the pen.The one near the pen tip depends on how you carry your pen, as it adds friction to keep the cap on in the most active situations. If you keep it in a shirt pocket, the o-ring on the front is not necessary, but if you keep in your pants pocket I would suggest it. Each pen will come with several extra o-rings as replacements, in case you need them.
I use the strongest permanent neodymium magnets available. They provide a unique and innovative method of attaching the cap to the back of the pen during use.
Tactile and auditory feel:
The lay pattern gives grip while feeling great. When you screw and unscrew the threads, they just feel right. When you take the cap off and post it on the back there is a nice feel of the attraction and a good sound that makes these pens a joy to use.
When you get the pen it will be packaged in something that screams "this is a machined product". There are custom neoprene inserts to hold the pen in place and protect it through delivery and transportation. It is already designed, but this is the one aspect of the project I want to be a surprise when you get it in the mail. A true "box opening experience".
Behind the scenes:
Over the course of the updates you will see exactly what it takes to make these. I plan on getting a GoPro to mount inside the new machine to take video of each part being made. They start out on my Kia KIT30B "gang style" CNC lathe, then are assembled and turned together to give the final outside diameter and the lay pattern created to give the unique texture. These will be "backer only" updates, so if you really want to know you have to be a backer.
Why I need your support:
My last project proved that I can make and deliver a product. In that process I also learned my own strengths and weaknesses. I would like to have this project be successful enough to hire outside help so I can focus on staying on target, or early, for delivery estimates. The project goal for this is what is needed to get this project going to meet minimums for materials, but the more support the more streamlined the process can be. I am so happy with these pens and the level of refinement in the design that I plan on selling these for quite some time, so if you get in now you will get the best deal.
Just the facts:
There are three different lengths and four different colors. The longest pen, the Z, is the closest to the standardized pen (most pens are 5.5" long). These are the first pens here on Kickstarter to use 7075 Aluminum, the first to use hard anodizing as a finish, and the first to use lay as a design feature. I can go on about these for days, but in the end they are beautiful and simple.
EiMIM X Pen can use the following refills:
- Pilot G2 Mini *this refill comes with the pen*
This is the most modification friendly pen that I offer. If you are willing to do a little work (I will post tutorials after the project finishes on how to do these), the following refills will also fit:
- UniBall 207
- Uniball Signo RT Gel 0.38mm & 0.5mm (UMN-138)
- UniBall Signo RT1 Gel 0.28mm & 0.38mm (UMN-155)
EiMIM Y Pen can use the following refills:
- Faber-Castell Ballpoint Pen Refill (Parker Style Medium & Broad)
- Fisher Space Pen Refill (#PR4 with plastic adapter) *this refill comes with the pen*
- Foray Gel Ink Refill (For Parker Ballpoint Pens)
- Moleskine Roller Pen Gel Ink Refill 0.5mm
- Monteverde Ballpoint Refill (For Parker Style Ballpoint Pens)
- Monteverde P42 Ceramic Gel Capless Refill (For Parker Style Ballpoint Pens)
- Monteverde Soft Roll P13 Ballpoint Pen Refill
- Monteverde Soft Roll P15 Super Broad Refill
- OHTO Needlepoint Ballpoint Pen Refill (P80-07NP)
- OHTO Extra-Fine 0.5mm Ballpoint Pen Refill (PS-205NP)
- Parafernalia Ballpoint Pen Refill
- Parker Ballpoint Pen Refill (Broad)
- Parker Gel Ink Quink Refills (Medium)
- Parker Quinkflow Ballpoint Pen Refill (Fine)
- Parker Quinkflow Ballpoint Pen Refill (Medium)
- Pelikan Giant Ballpoint Pen Refill 337 (Broad)
- Pelikan Giant Ballpoint Pen Refill 337 (Fine)
- Pelikan Giant Ballpoint Pen Refill 337 (Medium)
- Penatia Ballpoint Pen (Medium)
- Pentel Ballpoint Pen Refill (KFLT8)
- Schmidt 9000M EasyFlow Pen Refill
- Schmidt P8900 Super Bowl Refill (Fine)
- Schmidt P900 B Ballpoint Pen Refill (Broad)
- Schmidt P900 F Ballpoint Pen Refill (Fine)
- Schmidt P900 M Ballpoint Pen Refill (Medium)
- Schmidt P950 Megaline Pressurized Ballpoint Pen Refill (Medium)
- Schneider Express 735 Pen Refill (Broad)
- Schneider Express 735 Pen Refill (Fine)
- Schneider Express 735 Pen Refill (Medium)
- Schneider Slider 755 Pen Refill Hybrid Ink (Extra-Broad)
- Schneider Slider 755 Pen Refill ViscoGlide Ink (Medium)
- Sheaffer T Ballpoint Refill
- Stabilo Ballpoint Refill
- Tombow BR-ZLM Ballpoint Pen Refill
- Visconti Ballpoint Pen Refill (AA49 1.4 Broad)
- Visconti Gel Refill AA38B 1.0 Broad
- Visconti Gel Refill AA38F 0.5 Fine
- Visconti Gel Refill AA38M 0.7 Medium
- Yafa Gel Refills to fit Parker Ballpoint Pens
EiMIM Z Pen can use the following refills:
- Avant Pen Refills (0.5mm)
- BIC Velocity Gel Refill (0.7mm)
- BIC Pro+ Gel Refill (0.7mm)
- BIC ReAction Gel (0.7mm)
- Cross Gel Rolling Ball Refill (0.7mm)
- Cross Porous-Point Refill (Fine)
- Dong-A Fine Tech RT Pen (GRC-43 refill)
- Duke Rollerball Refill (Medium)
- Faber-Castell Ceramic Rollerball Refill (0.5mm)
- Foray (Office Depot’s Brand-USA) Replacement Refills
- Hauser 777 Rollerball Refills
- Mont Blanc Fineliner Refills
- Mont Blanc Rollerball Pen Refills (M) & (F)
- Monteverde Rollerball Refill (Mont Blanc Style Replacements)
- MUJI 0.5mm Refill
- Neatscript R800
- Ohto Ceramic Rollerball Refill (C-305P, C-307P)
- Ohto Gel Ink Refill 0.7mm Needle Point (G-307NP)
- Pentel ENERGEL BLN105 pen (LRN5 & LRN7)
- Pentel HyperG Retractable KL257 Series (LR7 & KLR7)
- Pilot Frixion Ball pen BLS-FR5 (LFBK-23EF-B refill)
- Pilot G2 (America’s #1 selling ink gel pen, 0.38mm, 0.5mm, 0.7mm, & 1.0mm) *this refill comes with the pen*
- Pilot G2 Pro
- Pilot G6
- Pilot G-knock BeGreen (0.7mm)
- Pilot Hi-Tec-C "Cavalier" Refill 0.3 & 0.4mm (PILOT LHRF-15C3)
- Pilot Juice Gel Ink Refill (LP2RF, .05mm)
- Pilot Precise V5 RT/V7 RT, named Hi-tecpoint V5 RT/V7 RT in Europe
- Pilot Precise Gel BeGreen
- Pilot Q7 Needle Point Refill 0.7mm (BLS-GCK-7 / LHKRF-8C7)
- Pilot V ball RT (BLS-VB5RT)
- Pelikan Roller Refill 338 Rollerball
- Sheaffer Roller Ball Refill Ⅱ
- Schneider Topball 850
- Staples Classic Grip Pen 0.7mm Gel (#31581)
- Tul GL1 Gel Pen Retractable Needle Point (0.5mm and 0.7mm)
- Tul GL3 Retractable Gel (0.5mm and 0.7mm)
- Tul BP3 Retractable Rollerball (0.7mm and 1.0mm)
- Uniball Impact RT 1.0mm Bold (Signo UMR-80)
- Uniball Signo RT Gel 0.38mm & 0.5mm (UMN-138)
- UniBall Signo RT1 Gel 0.28mm & 0.38mm (UMN-155)
- Uniball Signo (UMN-152)
- Uniball Signo 207 Gel Refill 0.7mm (UMR-87, UMR-85)
- Uniball Jetstream 0.7mm (SXR-7) & 1mm (SXR-C1)
- Visconti Rolling Ceramic 0.7mm (AA40)
- Zebra JF Gel Ink (JJ2; JJ15; JJZ15; JJ21; RJF5 Refills)
Risks and challenges
The risks and challenges on this project are pretty minimal. When I started my last project I had to set up a shop and get tools. Now I have them and they are ready to crank out parts.
I do not outsource anything I don't have to. All of the machining is done by me, and if I sell enough I will hire another machinist. The machine I recently bought is ideally suited for small parts, and is much more efficient than the more common turret style lathes (not to mention it has far better repeatability and accuracy compared to them). There are reports of people making half a million parts in a month running two shifts on this model machine. My parts are a bit more intricate, but the fact remains – this machine can crank out parts with greater accuracy than most other CNC lathes.
The clips are made about 100 feet from my shop by my friend and neighbor that runs a CNC water jet operation.
The anodizing is done by another company about 20 miles away from my shop that has done plenty of parts for me and has an amazing reputation.
The springs and magnets are produced domestically, and each of those suppliers has plenty of stock.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (44 days)