So everyone needs pens, right? Well this is the ultimate pen. Great materials (6061 Aluminum), great finishes (raw, glass bead blasted, and powder coated), great inserts (your choice of black or blue Pilot Hi Tec C in 0.25mm, 0.3mm, and 0.4mm), and MAGNETS!
I am Will Hodges and making cool stuff is my dream. I have always been looking to find my way into manufacturing, and Kickstarter presented the perfect opportunity.
The EiMIM Pen has been in the work for three months, and after design, prototype, back to the drawing board and repeating that process I have come up with something I am proud of. Really proud of.
Check out update #5 for more pictures of all of the finishes.
The base is now recessed, with a smaller magnet so that it is always perfectly perpendicular. The pen also has less threading inside the cap, so it is just one and a half turns to detach and reattach.
If you want more refills, I have worked out a distributorship with Pilot to pass the savings on to you. Just add $2 per refill and when the surveys go out at the end of the project you can tell me what color/sizes you want.
- Pen: 5.5" Long, 0.430" Diameter, 1.0 oz
- Base: 0.750" Tall, 1.500" Diameter, 2.0 oz
It all starts with an aluminum rod that I turn on a manual lathe. Add some of the strongest Neodymium magnets, a Pilot Hi Tec C insert, a lot of skill, and out comes my pen. Well that is a bit oversimplified, so here are some more details:
- 6061-T6 Aluminum
- The strongest Neodymium magnets commercially available
- Machined - straight out of the chuck and as mechanical as possible. Then these are anodized for added strength and protection.
- Glass bead blasted - a simple matte beautiful finish (think unibody MacBook Pro's/other high end laptops), where the pen is bombarded with thousands of glass beads at high speed, and then anodized for added protection.
- Powder coated - industrial strength, tough as nails finish that looks great. Powder coating is ~10 times stronger than regular paint. Among the reasons it is pretty neat is that it is almost unseen in pens due to the level of skill required to do thin coats well. I found an amazing powder coater locally, and the results show.
- Pilot Hi Tec C - after experimenting (Pilot G2), testing( UniBall Signo DX and 207), and reading (not to mention popular demand) the Hi Tec C (AKA G Tec C) in all of the sizes is the best choice. Each pen will come with your choice of black or blue in 0.25mm, 0.3mm, and 0.4mm insert.
Why should I buy this pen?
- Because it is made by a real person - ME! - in the United States
- Pilot Hi Tec C inserts with perfect fitment.
- Since I am the one making the pens, you will be kept in the loop on a whole different level than many projects can.
- You are looking for an awesome gift for the person that has everything.
- Most importantly, because it is really cool.
So what is needed to get this done? Principally, a lathe. I have been lucky as can be and found someone that has been willing to let me use his lathe to make the prototype. The associated tooling that goes with it as well, and a decent station and compressor to do the glass bead blasting. Not to mention a whole bunch of aluminum, magnets, and inserts.
A few months ago I found another pen through someone liking it on Facebook, so if you are tired of people liking boring stuff show them something really cool from a guy (me!) that eats, sleeps, and breathes this project. The more response there is, the better equipment I can get, the faster these pens can be made, and the sooner I can get them in your hands. It really works, so go show your friends and family.
- (27 days)