Making World Class Language Education Available to All
Making World Class Language Education Available to All
EduCase is the first free online interactive platform for English learners and teachers with complete courses at 5 different levels.
EduCase is the first free online interactive platform for English learners and teachers with complete courses at 5 different levels. Read more
About this project
To build a FREE online interactive platform for English language learning with complete Massive Open Online Courses available to everyone in the world who has access to a computer or a mobile device.
The need for such a tool was identified at the height of the economic crisis that has hit the country I grew up in, Greece, where in the past few years English language education has become something of a luxury only available to a select few. The rest inevitably miss out on the opportunity to develop foreign language skills that they can carry into adulthood and careers. When a situation like this starts to impact families and people around you to such a great extent, you begin to feel the need to do something about it.
And that's how the idea for EduCase was born.
However, what started off as a small-scale project that targeted just families in Greece who could no longer afford English language education for their kids, became something MUCH bigger: why not scale it and reach EVERYONE in the world who needs English skills for their own purposes, be it to make themselves more competitive in the job market, get admitted to an international university, or simply for the sake of learning?
Here's what makes EduCase unique:
- It offers complete courses where each Unit contains lessons on ALL 4 Skills of the language (Reading, Writing, Listening, Speaking) plus Vocabulary and Grammar lessons. This means that learners can now follow a linear path and will no longer have to look for and try to mix 'n' match activities from different apps and websites.
- There are courses offered that can take learners from Beginner to Advanced level. There are 5 levels available:
Beginner, Elementary, Intermediate, Upper Intermediate, Advanced
A quick placement test will help each learner decide where to start.
- EduCase also provides a complete IELTS preparation course for those who need to pass the test before they can study, migrate or work abroad.
- Unlike most existing apps, EduCase does not teach English through the learner's native language. Instead, it teaches English with English. This is the most immersive and natural method for learning a foreign language.
- Courses and activities are designed by fully-qualified educators with extensive international experience in teaching both in language schools and universities in countries such as the UK, Australia, Spain, Italy, Greece and West Africa.
- Courses contain highly interactive activities and content is presented in an engaging way that takes the learner on a guided-discovery journey that triggers curiosity and stimulates the desire to keep learning!
The following video is from a Listening task on Reported speech:
- EduCase courses have been designed in such a way as to simulate the presence of a human tutor in a unique way: feedback adapts to the specific answers that students give to a quiz and presentation of new information (e.g. grammar) is done in a highly-interactive way using concept-checking and elicitation throughout.
- Courses are designed to promote 21st Century Learning Skills; from Critical Thinking and Problem solving to Health Literacy and Global Awareness.
- EduCase in Schools: Teachers can assign as many students to a course as they wish and track their progress live. At the end of the course they can view and print the automatically-generated reports and discuss progress in different aspects of the language separately.
- Courses bring in the concept of game mechanics: learners collect badges as they complete lessons therefore getting a sense of immediate success and progress.
Get a taste!
Tell the World!
Know someone who would be as excited to hear about EduCase and our mission as you? Great! Feel free to share our campaign with them. The more people who know about our project, the larger the impact we will have on the world. It's super easy! Just hit one of the buttons below.
EduCase needs you to make this happen!
Risks and challenges
We have already tested a preliminary version of the first EduCase course with a sample of 100 students and English teachers and have had very positive results so far, so we know that this is a tool that a) is currently missing b) works.
Creating engaging educational content for language learning is something we are extremely well versed in. We have had plenty of experience in language course design as educators over the years so getting drained out of original ideas and ending up creating dry and over-repetitive content is not something we are worried about at all :-)
We are also extremely happy to have teamed up with top notch web developers who are helping us give shape to learning!
All this being said, what we have set about bringing to you is indeed a mammoth task that requires a lot of hard work and careful planning. We do not foresee any delays in the launch date, however, should these become inevitable, we will openly and candidly let you know about them and their causes, along with what we are doing to resolve them
Find this project on http://kickingitforward.orgLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (60 days)