Easy-to-assemble hexapod kit & controller that enables servos to also act as sensors. Now legs & grippers can set/check applied force!
The Problem with Hexapods...
Broken hexapods...burned-out servos...unreliable power supplies... These are a few of the reasons the Bot-Logic hexapod exists.
Many hexapods can't sense they've reached the edge of a surface without a lot of additional hardware expense and complexity. Likewise, servos burn out when weight is unevenly distributed between legs. This, again, is typically remedied only by expensive additional hardware or tedious and unreliable calibrations. Finally, the power required for servo operation can overload the typical hexapod power supply, causing the Host controller to reset or otherwise fail.
The Bot-Logic Hexapod
Bot-Logic shields address the problems noted above. All shields have the following common features:
- Hardware and software enable standard inexpensive servos to act as both servos and sensors, allowing servos to control the force applied as well as measuring force at set positions. Robots are thus enabled to sense surface edges and uneven servo load as well as measure and maintain gripper force.
- Switching power supply board continuously supplies 7.0V to the Arduino as long as battery voltage is 4-18V, enabling the Arduino to run reliably even with load spikes >30A.
- Built-in SD card interface allows your bot to access gigabytes of program and data storage.
- On-board 2X16 LCD display using I2C interface so no additional I/O pins need be used. This display makes assembly easier as our setup program walks you through the setup of the bot. Your applications can also display system status, error messages or your own text, making applications easier to debug.
- 3-axis accelerometer provides motion feedback control, sensing positive or negative board motion on all three axes. It can also determine which way is up as well as calculating acceleration and relative direction. Your bot will be able to sense incline, motion and lack of gravity (free-falling).
- 12-pin expansion connector (x3) allows up to three expansion boards per bot.
- Also in development is a Bluetooth module, hopefully available before the first rewards ship. If so, you will be able to add this option to your reward.
- Additional plans include a Gryo module, a GPS receiver and a basic prototype board. These products will not be available until Q4 of this year and only if the project is successfully funded.
All Bot-Logic kits also include plastic injection-molded parts with the following features:
- Custom injection-molded parts mean easy kit assembly with no gluing required. A minimum number of parts makes for very fast assembly time.
- Setup firmware enables simple calibration once your bot is assembled. Provided template, positioning stand and Bot-Logic’s unique programming buttons have you up and running quickly.
- Structural integrity. Bot-Logic kit parts are molded from high quality material and designed to be virtually unbreakable during normal usage.
Plastic Color Options: Voter's Choice
Be part of the design process! Jet black and yellow options (as seen in photos) will be available. Kit-level project backers will be surveyed after the project is funded to determine third and fourth color options. Individual backers will then be able to choose from the four final color options for their rewards.
Each reward level has an “Early Bird Special” for the first 30 backers. So hurry to get the most for your backing dollars! Rewards are identical for both Early Bird and additional backers; More detail on Bot-Logic products is available at www.bot-logic.com.
- Educational Bot-Logic Shield: $169 (Early Bird Special $149) Bot-Logic LEO Shield (control board only) for Arduino UNO and Leonardo.
Advanced Bot-Logic Shield: $239 (Early Bird
Bot-Logic DUE Shield (control board only) for Arduino MEGA and DUE.
Basic Kit-Level Backers
Allows use of any builder-supplied MG996R-compatible servos and servo mounting hardware. Basic Kit builders also can utilize any battery pack within the specification of the servos selected.
- Basic Quadrapod Kit: $269 (EB $249) - Includes injection-molded plastic parts, Bot-Logic LEO shield, Arduino Leonardo. User supplies servos and battery pack.
- Basic HexaPod Kit: $359 (EB $325) - Includes injection-molded plastic parts, Bot-Logic DUE shield, Arduino Mega 2560. User supplies servos and battery pack.
Full Kit-Level Backers
Includes servos, servo mounting hardware and everything else needed except the 6Volt battery pack.
- Full Quadrapod Kit: $419 (EB $389) - Includes injection-molded plastic parts, servos, Bot-Logic LEO shield, Arduino Leonardo. User supplies battery pack.
- Full HexaPod Kit: $539 (EB $499) - Includes injection-molded plastic parts, servos, Bot-Logic DUE shield, Arduino Mega 2560. User supplies battery pack.
About Efficient Computer Systems, LLC
The Bot-Logic hexapod is a product of Efficient Computer Systems, LLC. Since its founding in 1987, Efficient Computer Systems, LLC, has designed hundreds of electronics boards and firmware that have been sold around the world. The past five years has seen the addition of OEM manufacturing of products we have custom designed for our customers.The ECS engineering group has a combined total of over half a century of hardware and firmware experience.
Manufacturing and Shipping
Manufacturing of injection plastic parts, boxing and shipping will be done in-house. Purchasing of components, PCB assembly and fabrication management will be subcontracted to a local electronics assembly House with whom we have worked with for over five years and whose quality we find to be excellent. This will free the Bot-Logic team to complete other items such as:
- more demo programs
- user manuals for the Bot-Logic shield
- kit instructions for Hexapod assembly
I could not decide if this paragraph belongs here or in the below section about "Risks and Challenges" but I decided to place it here because it really is not a Risk or a Challenge it is just How we will handle manufacturing if we are lucky enough to receive over a 1000 backers.
We currently are dividing the backer rewards into two Production runs which helps us manage any parts shortages ahead of each run as well as making it easier to handle Electronic assembly, Testing packaging and shipping of the Rewards.
the First Production run is small it will be just the "early Bird Special Rewards" we have planned two additional weeks into this run with the idea of finding and fixing problems and bottle necks. then we will be ready to run the larger sized second run my plan is to stop these rewards if we see the number of backers reaching 1000 - 1200. if this happens we will just add new rewards listing a new Production run number and delivery date.
Visit the KickStarter Update tab to watch our progress!
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Efficient Computer Systems, LLC, has an excellent track record in both design and production. Nevertheless, every new product design has its unique challenges and the Bot-Logic Hexapod is no exception. Detailed below are some challenges that could impact backers’ rewards as well as how we plan to draw on our experience and expertise to manage these challenges.
1. Electronics design. We currently have five existing prototypes, two of which have been tested and are in Hexapods. Our testing has revealed a list of issues that we continue to address. The Hexapod is still a work in progress. We will update the design files and make another five prototypes (called a re-spin) to test as we continue to perfect the Hexapod. Current issues are minor and pose little risk to backers, but we want to be transparent about the fact that this is not yet a finished product. If issues more problematic than anticipated create a schedule delay, we will communicate with backers.
2. An option we are considering is a 30-amp regulator for the servos. This would allow use of 7.4-14.8V LiPo battery packs and would regulate voltage to the servos at 6 - 7.2V, giving the Bots much longer run times. We will implement this feature if we hear from our backers that this is something you feel is needed. as doing so would increase the risk of needing the extra respin noted above. This would likely not increase product cost, but could require additional development time, thus delaying delivery.
3. Injection molds. Plastic parts for the current prototypes were 3D printed in-house which does a fine job but is to slow for commercial production, particularly for the large number of leg pieces. Of the five injection molds needed for manufacturing capability, one is completed and working well (see the white plastic parts in the video). Our goal is to complete the remaining two leg molds as soon as possible. Watch our updates for information on mold development.
Our most significant challenge will be the last two molds which make the Hexapod body. These could exceed the specifications of our molding machine. We are working to identify a plastic that will work within the parameters of our machine. If this is not possible, we hope to outsource these pieces. If this, too, proves not feasible, we will add a second 3D printer and run them both 24/7. Quality will be as good as injection-molded pieces.
We are confident that any of these issues, if they arise, can be resolved.
Thanks for checking out our Kickstarter project!
The Bot-Logic Team
Efficient Computer Systems, LLC
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
seconds to go
Pledge $1 or moreYou selected
You will help us get production up and running on this cool Hexapod. Plus you can keep up-to-date on all things BOT-LOGIC with exclusive updates, progress reports and the latest information on Hexapod kits, boards, molded plastics and more.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $209 or moreYou selected
2 backers Limited (8 left of 10)
"BOT-LOGIC DUE SHIELD EARLY BIRD SPECIAL”: Help us get started! This reward is geared for people who already have a robot and are looking to upgrade their controller. This board is designed to work with the Arduino DUE microcontroller board as well as the Arduino Mega 2560. Please see the Bot-Logic "DUE" Board Feature List for additional detail. This reward ships as part of the first production run.Estimated delivery:Add $20 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $499 or moreYou selected
6 backers Limited (9 left of 15)
"FULL BOT-LOGIC HEXAPOD KIT EARLY BIRD SPECIAL": Help us get started! This reward is for people who would like a full featured hexapod robot. This kit includes everything needed to build a hexapod with 3DOF per leg: all necessary injection molded parts, the Arduino Mega 2560, the "Bot-Logic DUE Shield," eighteen MG996R servos and all mounting hardware. The builder supplies a battery pack. The Arduino Mega 2560 is included instead of the Arduino Due because at this time the Arduino Servo Library has not been released for the Arduino Due; all demos have thus been written for the Arduino Mega 2560. This reward ships as part of the first production run.Estimated delivery:Add $20 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $539 or moreYou selected
"FULL BOT-LOGIC HEXAPOD KIT ": This reward is for people who would like a full featured hexapod robot. This kit includes everything needed to build a hexapod with 3DOF per leg: all necessary injection molded parts, the Arduino Mega 2560, the "Bot-Logic DUE Shield," eighteen MG996R servos and all mounting hardware. The builder supplies a battery pack. The Arduino Mega 2560 is included instead of the Arduino Due because at this time the Arduino Servo Library has not been released for the Arduino Due; all demos have thus been written for the Arduino Mega 2560. This reward ships as part of the second production run.Estimated delivery:Add $20 USD to ship outside the US
- (60 days)