This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by .
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by .
IN ENGLISH (link en ESPAÑOL)
The Southern Lady cuts through the waves, the water spraying your face as you stare out at the Caribbean sea. Lost in thought, you remember the first time you came across a Spanish Galleon. Few of you managed to escape that mess with your lives, but that marked the moment when you began forging your destiny as a pirate. Now, your reputation precedes you wherever you go, instilling fear among your enemies. Nothing will get in your way of becoming the most infamous pirate to ever sail the high seas…
Make your own destiny and become the terror of the seas in Skull Tales: Full Sail!
Skull Tales: Full Sail! is a pirate adventures board game with miniatures. Set sail on the Southern Lady and explore the beautiful Caribbean sea, ripe with fearsome enemies and amazing treasures. Fame and fortune await you!
Choose among twelve starting characters, each one with its own unique miniature, to be used on the different boards as you play through the game. Find all the information you need to start playing on their character sheets.
In Skull Tales: Full Sail! You’ll be able to play individual scenarios or embark upon an immersive campaign that threads several different scenarios together into one captivating storyline.
Skull Tales, created by David Illescas, is a semi-cooperative game for 1-5 players aged 14 and up. The approximate playing time in Campaign Mode is between 60-90 minutes for one scenario and about 150 minutes for a complete chapter (Voyage, Adventure and Port). The game also includes 52 miniatures - not counting stretch goals!
During the Voyage Phase, which simulates being on a pirate ship, we’ll be managing the crew that makes up our ship while we explore the map on the way towards our objective...or objectives! But, the Captain might have a hidden agenda that he/she is keeping from the rest of the crew…
Throughout this phase, characters will take on different jobs: steering the ship, managing boarding actions, cleaning up, or even fighting sea creatures. The idea is to gain the confidence of the crew, which will depend on where you place your character and how good he/she is at dealing with all the dangerous events you’ll be facing together. The Captain will be able to assign different tasks to the crewmembers, but watch out - the other pirates can conspire against him/her!
Unfortunately, but not surprisingly, there are a lot of things that can negatively affect crew's morale: hunger, losing battles, unexpected events, etc. If morale suffers too much, another pirate can organize a mutiny to take over the captaincy and benefit from its many privileges…
Characters will earn Trust Points as they carry out duties on the ship, and these points will turn into Prestige Points once the Voyage phase comes to an end. This way, your pirate will start to gain a fearsome reputation!
In the Adventure Phase you’ll explore mysterious islands, dangerous caves, and abandoned temples. You’ll also have the chance to pillage colonial villas and find legendary objects. However, there are frightening creatures and challenging enemies to face along the way.
The Adventure map develops as terrain tiles appear randomly according to the specifications of the scenario, making each game different!
On the Adventure board you’ll be able to see how much time you have left to carry out the mission, as well as the current danger level…
Enemies have cards that outline their characteristics and a corresponding miniature. Also, every opponent you face will have a behavior or AI that generates reactions at unpredictable times, making each adventure a challenge.
In the Port Phase your character can acquire new abilities and equipment by interacting with the residents of Tortuga Island and visiting its different locations. But be careful, this place hides secrets that can make a pirate’s fate take a turn for the worst.
Each player will have time units they’ll use to carry out actions, while making sure they are ready to go when the ship sets sail: heal wounds, learn abilities, make bets, listen out for rumors, equip and improve the ship, etc. Each location has an Event Deck, and there are also independent decks for Rumors and Captain Assignments.
The following list includes everything that comes with the game initially, not counting components that may be unlocked during the Kickstarter campaign.
The new Skull Tales miniatures have been completely remodeled and will be made with a high quality plastic that is flexible, easy to paint, and allows for more clearly detailed figures. We have already started testing and the results are spectacular.
The scale of the miniatures is approximately 30-32mm up to the eye-line and not including the base.
- BGG (Unlocked, exclusive): for reaching 300 fans on BGG you’ll receive two exclusive 50x50x70mm boxes to store all the small cards: equipment, legendary objects, incidents, magic, and quests.
- FACEBOOK (Unlocked, exclusive): for reaching 2000 likes and sharing this special post 400 times you’ll receive two exclusive, specially-designed 70x70x110mm boxes to store all the larger cards: Voyage and Port events, Rumors, and Captain Assignments.
- TWITTER (Unlocked, exclusive): for retweeting THIS TWEET 400 times and reaching 1200 followers on our Twitter you’ll receive an EXCLUSIVE Zombie miniature that can be summoned by the Voodoo Man.
- PIRATE contest! Share videos, photos or audio files of your family and friends with a pirate theme. If we get 200 interactions, between Twitter & Facebook, we will include a sliding chest box to store our booty (80x80x50mm) for all the backers of the game. Additionally, we will include a new Journey card dedicated to the crew of the best submission, as well as a gift for the winning crew.
- Crossover EXO - Skull Tales (Unlocked, exclusive): Brave pirates, today we introduce you to EXO’s scorpions. Exo is a game by our good friends and colleagues from Plast Craft. As a result of this friendship, we’ve decided to make a crossover of both games! In order to unlock this SG, you only have to reach a very simple goal: you must share the following posts on Twitter and Facebook. Once we reach 200 shares/retweets, this SG will be unlocked. We will take into account the number of both publications. More information.
The Noble Rebel & the War Dog (Unlocked, exclusive): The treasure map we found yesterday has lead us to the hideout of the Noble Rebel and her faithful companion, the dog of war (as an ally), with two new miniatures.
>1,000 fans in Board Game Geek and >500 likes for the game box’s image.
- For more information: See all our booty: the first 38 Stretch Goals.
- $364000 (Unlocked, Free Expansion): Character: Native Scout (1 miniature). That man could move as quick as a rabbit running from a hound. He was also the best shot on board the Southern Lady…our own lookout could barely keep up. We’re adding a new character to Skull Tales: Full Sail! The character comes with its corresponding miniature, character sheet, and two equipment cards (carbine and gunstock), along with his card for competitive mode. More information.
- $371000 (Unlocked, Base Game): 4 Equipment Cards (2 models). Our favorite armorer has brought new equipment for us to use in our plundering: 2 x Leather Jerkin: any defense is good when coming up against danger, 2 x Pike: with a longer reach to wound your enemies.
- $378000 (Unlocked, Free Expansion): Campaign IV complete. The Brotherhood of Black Sails, our nemesis, is establishing control over the Caribbean. They neither follow rules nor have honor, and their actions have awaken an evil that has until now remained hidden in the bowels of a ruined temple. Will you be able to bring order and regain your Brotherhood’s supremacy of the Caribbean Sea? A new campaign that adds five more adventure phases, together with a legendary card that will make any pirate drool.
- $385000 (Locked, Free Expansion): 2 New Tiles (Mountain) + adventure. Two 7x5 tiles with a new type of terrain for the Adventure phase: mountains. These tiles bring unique rules and a new adventure to play independently or as an alternative to a shipwreck.
- $392000 (Locked, Free Expansion): Journey enemy: Megalodon. Each tooth in that creature’s mouth was the size of a man! Capable of wrecking our ship’s hull with one bite, they said it was a huge shark but I thought it was the offspring of the devil himself!
- $402000 (Locked, Free Expansion): Character: Alchemist (miniature).
Go to your pledge, use the "manage my pledge" button and manually add the amount of US$ for everything you would like to add. When the campaign is over, we will do a Pledge Manager that lets you confirm all of the details of your pledge.
- Set of 12 Doors & 5 Chests: This $18 ADD-ON is for those of you want to upgrade those tokens and replace them with miniatures, or even to use them in other games. The chests are placed over the target tokens, and the doors are to be used in spaces of buildings and rooms in the Village. This set will come in a 17x13x3cm cardboard box.
Set of 10 custom Dice: we bring you a new add-on with a spectacular design, to make your games of Skull Tales: Full Sail! even more thematic. Ten dice with a very exclusive design, with custom faces, and in two different colors, bone white and ash gray. Are you ready to test your luck for just $14?
Wooden Dice tower in sight! We are proud to announce that we have a final design! It’s very easy to set up and it can be dismounted just as easily, without the need for glue. This add-on will come with its own cardboard box. You can take a look at how it works in the following video…More information.
- The Twins: two miniatures representing the Twins Characters, controlled by one player, with two Character cards and exclusive equipment.
- Sea Miniatures for Voyage Phase: 8 miniatures to replace the tokens in the Voyage Phase including new enemies that can be unlocked as Stretch Goals (+2 miniatures unlocked).
- Witch and Freedman miniatures for those of you that couldn’t get these figures in the game three years ago.
- Box with the 52 miniatures included in the game.
Follow this link where you can download a preliminary version of the rules for Skull Tales: Full Sail! (subject to change).
If you find any mistakes, please send us a message via the KS messaging system (we can't track responses in the comments section).
Gameplay - Adventure Phase (in english)
Skull Tales into Kickstarter (english)
Gameplay - Adventure Phase (in spanish)
Gameplay - Adventure Phase (in spanish)
Gameplay - Port Phase (in spanish)
Gameplay - Voyage Phase (in spanish)
Funnatic Channel, Skull Tales 2015 version
Game in English (previous version)
What are people saying about Skull Tales?
Testimonials and Reviewer Opinions:
- Fase de Mantenimiento: "A new edition of a really good game that looks to become the best Ameritrash game produced nationally (Spain)"
Discípulos de Armitage: "It’s more than a game... it’s an adventure!"
Mazmorra de Pacheco: "There are certain stories that can be. enjoyed from afar...and those that are worth experiencing firsthand - with Skull Tales, every step you take is an experience to be remembered. "
- Escapando del espacio reticulado: “‘Yo Ho Ho - a pirate’s life for me!’ Just need a copy of Skull Tales and bottle of rum and it’ll be complete!”
- Juegorrinos: "Finally! A real pirate game that simulates all aspects of pirate life!"
- MrPlayforlive: “Something has been accomplished that hasn’t been done before - implementing all the epic feelings of danger, tension, and fun of pirate adventures into one game.”
- Masivi: "Neither Errol Flynn nor Johnny Depp...if you want to experience the life of a pirate there's only one way: Skull Tales. Adventure, combat, plundering, mutiny...all of it on your living room table. Unbeatable."
- Mesa221b: "Pirate life at its best! One of the most complete adventure games thanks to the different phases that our pirates go through: sail, plunder, and show off your booty at the Port."
- Destroqueladores: "If you've always dreamed of being a pirate, this is the game that will get you closest to that experience."
We plan to produce the game in Europe, including the miniatures. A large portion of the game contents are finished. Depending on the quantity of unlocked stretch goals and the number of backers, production times could vary. However, we expect to receive the game between December this year and April 2019. We will keep you informed about the production process through Kickstarter updates as we have done with other games. We will try to deliver the game earlier, but only once we can guarantee the quality of the game components.
This project is US-Friendly, EU-Friendly, Australia-Friendly, and Canada-Friendly, and therefore no additional charges or fees will apply due to taxes or customs. Since the dimensions and weight of the final boxes may change slightly, shipping costs will be calculated during the Pledge Manager where we will try to adjust it as much as possible. Below you can see approximate shipping prices that will be confirmed in due time. Requesting a reimbursement for your pledge once the campaign has finished will incur fees and expenses.
- TWITTER: Skull Tales and Eclipse Editorial.
FACEBOOK: Skull Tales and Eclipse Editorial.
- Skull Tales: Full Sail! on BGG.
- Previous Skull Tales Version on BGG (8.1).
Swear allegiance to your crew with these avatars and personalize your icon on Kickstarter, Twitter, Facebook, or wherever you want. You can download them all here.
Please forgive us if we forgot to mention someone and let us know about it!
All the channels that are supporting us.
All the players and previous backers of Skull Tales that have helped David Illescas in the creation and testing process for the new Voyage and Port phases, as well as in the changes made to the Adventure Phase.
Everyone that has sat down to play with us at game festivals, given us their opinion or suggestions or simply stopped to say hello. We have really enjoyed playing the game and spending time with you.
All former backers that have supported us throughout this new voyage in the game’s evolution
And of course... you!
- Author: David Illescas.
- Illustrations: Roberto Picó, Francisco Arenas y Eugenio Delgado.
- Graphic Design Miniature: 3D Breed Miniatures.
- Design: WAH! Studio.
- Publisher: Eclipse Editorial.
- Collaborating Editorial: Draco Ideas.
- Translation: Jesús Sánchez, Charles Reeder.
- New mechanics and testing: Óscar M. Dóniz, José A. Rojo, José Mora, Flavio Collovini, Joan Arós, Guillermo García, Toñín Fernández, Raúl Rubio, Oliver Brettschneider, Francisco José A. Muñoz, Francisco Araujo, Alfonso Blanco, Fernando Díaz.
- Collaborators: Javier Romero, Sergio Rodríguez, Jose Manuel Moreno, Jaime Devesa, Luis Álvaro Hernández, Ricardo Hernández, Raquel López, Buster Lehn and Fran Ruiz.
Risks and challenges
The art or final design of components, add-ons and stretch goals may vary slightly.
Prior to this project we have successfully completed 4 crowdfunding projects on Kickstarter with publisher Draco Ideas and we have delivered the games on time or very close to it. We have also learned from these experiences. As Eclipse Editorial, we have successfully completed our first crowdfunding project on Kickstarter, “RatLand” and we have delivered the game on time. The Timeline for “Skull Tales: Full Sail!” includes some leeway for "any unforeseen problems" and we feel confident we can deliver on schedule.
- All gone!