About this project
Our project: Open an Aussie Meat Pie Shop in the heart of Downtown Toronto
Kanga is in the process of seeking out the perfect retail space in downtown Toronto, Canada to open our own Aussie meat pie shop. We have already raised (and secured) the lion's share of the funding from generous friends, family, investors and our own personal pockets but we're not quite there yet in terms of total financing. We're down to the final stretch and we need you behind us to kick-start us to the finish line of the Kanga pie shop.
We sold our first pie last year in October at the Toronto Underground Market with outstanding feedback. Since then, our pies have been loved again and again at various events - music festivals, artisans' markets, night markets, corporate catering, and most recently, select retail stores! Our pies are now available at the following six (6) locations: Hot Oven Bakery (177 Roncesvalles & 2974 Bloor St W), Sanagan's Meat Locker (176 Baldwin Ave), Crema Coffee (3079 Dundas St W), Sliced Gourmet (650 Bay ST, at Elm), and Brickyard Grounds (1289 Gerrard St E).
Our explanation - in 60 seconds (PS - married to the pie!!):
Next up? Kanga: The Aussie Meat Pie Shop.
Kanga: Australian-style meat pies
Aussie style meat pies are the ultimate convenience food. The flakey pastry cradles a saucy filling of meat, gravy and veggies of many varieties. We’ve got the traditional Aussie (minced beef), butter chicken, steak & bacon, creamy zucchini, beef stroganoff, pulled pork, classic Kiwi (mince and cheese) and more. We’ve learned (okay, we always knew!) that things taste far better in pastry. MMmmmmeat pies.
Pies can be eaten anytime and anywhere. Intended to be eaten with one hand, you’ve got a free hand to cheer on your favourite sports team, clutch a cold beverage or keep cozy in your pocket. Australians eat meat pies like Canadians eat hot dogs, hamburgers and pizza – late night, at the stadium, roaming a music festival, walking down the street, sitting in the car.. the list goes on. The average Aussie eats 12 pies per year. That’s 270 million pies. Kiwi’s love meat pies too, smashing 15 pies each on average annually – which totals 66 million per year.
The savoury meat pie market in Canada is seriously underserved. That’s what Kanga’s here for. #PIELUST
Kickstarting our Flagship Pie Shop
We will open the flagship Kanga pie shop in the downtown core of Toronto to serve the corporate crowd (catering anyone?), the students, the late night eaters, and pie lovers everywhere. We will be open late Thursday through Sunday as well as regular hours Monday through Wednesday.
This cross-section of the entertainment district and the core of the corporate crowd can be found south of Queen Street, north of King and between Spadina and University. That is where we're focussing our search for retail space in Toronto. We've got a sweet Realtor on our side to help us in our quest, and the designers are hard at work so we're ready to jump as soon as we find the space.
Did we mention we have a kick-ass breakfast pie? Bacon, anyone?
Me(a)t the Pie Mates
Kanga is built upon the partnership between Megan Chan (the accountant) and Erynn Mayes (the chef), to make the best meat pies that Toronto has tasted. After falling in love with the convenient, handheld and omni-present meat pie in Australia, Erynn and Megan starting to make their own Aussie meat pies in Toronto; producing and selling at local markets, pop-up events and music festivals. Less than a year after initially launching (Oct 20, 2012), Kanga started selling their pies wholesale to select retailers in Toronto and the feedback has been incredible. To meet the demand and give Toronto a true blue taste of Oz, the Kanga duo have made the decision to open a Kanga retail space where hot pies will be available (as they were meant to be).
Pies are now available at the following locations: Hot Oven Bakery (177 Roncesvalles & 2974 Bloor St W), Sanagan's Meat Locker (176 Baldwin Ave), Crema Coffee (3079 Dundas St W), Sliced Gourmet (650 Bay ST, at Elm), and Brickyard Grounds (1289 Gerrard St E).
We'll bring the meat if you bring the dough
Setting up a store costs a small fortune! But it’s worth it, because a store is the only way we can give you the true Aussie pie shop experience. We are reinvesting every cent we are making, but we’ve still got a gap. That is where you come in! THANK YOU
We want to do it right: freshly baked pies, excellent coffee, frozen pies to take home, and all at a convenient location that is close to you, or easily accessible by public transit! Help us help you have the best pie experience possible, and please support us by purchasing one of our exciting rewards.
See below for a proof of our "Finally Aussie Meat Pie" t-shirts! (The following would be printed on the back "My name is [insert name], and I love Kanga Aussie Meat Pies!"
- Kanga (formerly Meat Pie Mates) sold their very first pie on Oct 20, 2012 at a night market in Toronto (Toronto Underground Market)
- Since then, we've popped up at TURF Music Festival, Arts & Crafts Music Festival, TO Food Fest, Williams Sonoma Artisans' Market, AFL games, and done a little catering as well
- As of Aug 29, 2013 our pies have been available in stores - now including six locations around Toronto
- Our goal is to bring the experience of an Aussie pie shop to Toronto: selling freshly baked ready to eat pies that are, in a word, YUM. We want to see people eating pies out of their hands (like a burger or a slice of pizza) because eating a meat pie can be and is that easy. We want Toronto to recognize the convenience and simplicity of a good meat pie. We love meat pies and want to share that love with you.
- On top of selling fabulous meat pies, we are going to have a top-of-the-line coffee offering (espresso based), mini pies (aww so cute!) for catering, and wicked cool sides
- We're currently looking for a retail space south of Queen St W, north of King St, east of Spadina and west of University. We don't need a lot of room - between 300-600 sq ft. We're working with a design firm and have selected a contractor to prepare ourselves for our new home when it becomes available.
- If all goes well, we will open our doors by the end of April of 2014. If the hunt is harder than expected, we're prepared to wait for the key location from which we can launch. That might mean next winter.. We're in this for the long haul!
Did we mention we're famous?
Thank you & Cheers mate! Thanks for sticking with us.
Aussie Aussie Aussie!
A big thank you to the following folks who helped us put this campaign together!
Melissa Hall (producer, videographer, film editor)
Kuo-Bao Tong (producer)
Ksenija Hotic (photograper)
Marta Sitek (illustrator)
Michelle Claessens (Marketing and graphic designer)
Risks and challenges
Thank you to everyone for banding with us to bring Aussie meat pies to Toronto!
Any new food venture can present higher risks. What are we doing to mitigate this?
We are in the process of selecting a great location, focusing between the Entertainment and the Financial district in Toronto. The idea here is to leverage the corporate crowd for lunching, catering and take home options and the night time crowd for after work and late night eats!
We consider this area to be north of King St, south of Queen, east of University Ave and west of Spadina.
With many commuters daily (both for work and play) this is one of the most densely packed places in the city - or Canada for that matter.
This means that we are going to be a convenient and easy choice for anyone, anytime. This "block" is also extremely well serviced by public transit (subway, streetcar - and not far from Union!)
We are committed to offering the highest quality pie, espresso coffee, and accompaniments to Toronto.
Because we are being very selective in our retail location hunt, we are not sure on the exact store opening date. We have forecasted our reward delivery dates aggressively, assuming that we're able to find a space soon -- but this might even be an entire year away. We have forecasted aggressively because we are aggressively searching for our dream spot!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Thank you for your enthusiasm for our Pie rewards! There is no mechanism within Kickstarter itself to obtain two rewards, but if you would like to get more than one reward, you may:
1) pledge the total amount for both rewards, and select one of them. Then send us a message through Kickstarter, and we will track your other reward. We will personally ensure you get all your rewards when you come into our store!
2)you may make a new Kickstarter profile and make a second pledge with that profile
Support this project
- (44 days)