You are supporting a new expansion to the ROTW Series designed by Vital Lacerda with:
- New, creative & challenging innovations in the Railways of the World mechanics
- Cover art by Ian O'Toole
- High Quality Production values from Eagle-Gryphon Games
- À la carte pricing: One pledge level with many Optional Buys you can add to your pledge
- The Best Pricing you will find for this game in 2019!
- A 3-Card Promo Pack FREE for every KS Backer
- Game-expanding Stretch Goals based on the number of Backers
Portugal is the Westernmost country in Europe. With a coastline that spans over 700km facing the Atlantic Ocean, Portugal uses well-traveled shipping routes in order to develop its industry.
The Portuguese mainland is a crucial geographical presence for the two autonomous island regions — Madeira and the Açores. Most of the exports from these regions are directed to the mainland. While the sea routes for tourism and goods play a role of great importance to the livelihood of these islands, they also offer luxury products of superb quality to the European continent as well.
The rules for the Railways of Portugal expansion (designed for 2, 3 or 4 players) are the same as those of Railways of the World, with a few important exceptions as noted below.
What's New & Different about the Railways of Portugal expansion?
Here are the highlights:
- Islands off-shore which receive more goods as the game goes on, but require more money to access via Maritime Connections
- No black cities on the board, they are only added at the start of the Industrial Age and via Urbanization
- A "tight" map (close cities) that demands careful and tough decisions which lead to significant player interaction
- Major Lines that require intermediate connections
- New Operations cards and concepts including: Government Subsidies, State Treasury Shares, Maritime State Support & Public-Private Partnerships
- Goal Cards instead of Baron Cards
What's in the Railways of Portugal Box?
- A 375 x 617mm game board
- Goal Cards (10)
- Operations Cards (34)
- Player-aid Sheets (4)
- Rulesheet (see below)
Note: The Railways of the World base game or Railways of Nippon standalone base game are required to play the Railways of Portugal expansion. These are available as optional buys (add-ons) in the Pledge Manager.
A Free 3-Card Promo Pack to all Kickstarter Backers:
- Two Government Subsidy Cards ("Take $4 off any one auction bid") - A new way to shake up the turn order bids.
- One State Treasury Shares Card ("Bond Certificates always pay $6 vs. $5") - A unique start card that pays out over the course of the game for a player taking a heavy dose of bonds.
Vital Lacerda has designed a prolific list of euro strategy games including The Gallerist, Vinhos Deluxe, Lisboa & Escape Plan. He has a master's degree in Marketing and Advertising. His game designs center around the theme of the game and heavily incorporate intertwined mechanics. Vital lives in Lisboa, Portugal with his beautiful wife, Sandra, and two lovely teenage daughters. He enjoys extreme sports such as snowboarding, kitesurfing and raising two lovely teenage daughters.
Ian O’Toole is an Irish illustrator, graphic designer and gamer working out of Perth in Western Australia. He has over fifteen years’ experience working in many creative fields, producing illustration, design and 3D animation for a broad selection of industries. Ian has created the artwork for such notable boardgames as Lisboa, The Gallerist, Vinhos Deluxe, Escape Plan and The Scarlet Pimpernel. Ian works in a wide variety of styles and particularly enjoys drawing from design trends throughout history. Ian works from his home in Perth, where he lives with his wife, two children and dog.
Since its publication as Railroad Tycoon in 2005, Railways of the World (re-named for title licensing reasons in 2009) has been constantly ranked in the Top 100 of the all-time best games on BoardGameGeek.com. Fourteen years and over 10,000 ratings since then, it has been ranked as high as #22 and it is currently #71 (in Strategy Games) with a 7.7 BGG rating--even after all of these years. Revisit the early days of the Age of Steam as you begin with no money, a locomotive (the venerable John Bull, the first locomotive to run in North America) and a vision (your Baron's "Goal" card). From there, build your budding railroad network into a vast empire. If you are playing the Eastern US map, you can connect New York to Chicago, earn the most money, develop bigger and faster locomotives and maybe even combine expansions and span North America to build the Transcontinental Railway!
Railways of the World (ROTW) is the base game for the system and includes all the components necessary to play any ROTW series games with up to 6 players, including: 24 engine placards, 231 track tiles, 100 locomotives, 125 supply cubes, money, bonds, empty city markers, scoring disks, etc.
Two game boards are included: one, depicting the Eastern half of the United States (Railways of the Eastern U.S.), is best for 4-6 players; and the other, Railways of Mexico, is best for 2-3 players.
Railways of Nippon (RON) is a 2 to 4 player version of Railways of the World and includes a map of Japan designed by the superstar Japanese game designer Hisashi Hayashi. Railways of Nippon also includes all the components needed to play all the expansions in the ROTW Series, including Railways of Portugal.
You will receive one copy of this latest expansion to the Railways of the World series, by Vital Lacerda, which includes: the Game Board, 10 Goal Cards, 34 Operations Cards, 4 Player Aids, and Rulesheet PLUS the following:
- Railways of Portugal 3-Card Promo Pack
- All achieved Stretch Goals
- Access to the PledgeManager for Optional Buys such as the Railways of the World base game or Railways of Nippon standalone game (see below)
- NOTE: Shipping costs are not included in your $33 pledge (you must add those to your pledge and the amount varies depending upon where you live). Please refer to the Shipping information below.
$10,000 Funding Level -- (roughly 250 Backers) -- Congratulations, your pledges achieve the minimum Goal!
We produce the game and you get the Railways of Portugal 3-Card Promo Pack for FREE!
600 Backers -- You get the new Hotel Magnate Promo Card (Gain 3, 4 or 5 points if you have 2, 3 or 4 hotels, respectively) courtesy of Never Bored Gaming
900 Backers -- You get a 6-Card Promo Pack -- which includes: 1 Operations Growth Card, 1 Boomtown Card, 2 Express Cards, and 2 Civil Engineers Cards
1200 Backers -- You get "Port to Porto" -- which includes: extra goods cubes, a special New City tile, and a new optional Set Up with some new rules
1500 Backers -- You get "Homage to Pombal" -- which includes: 4 new disks and a new optional Start Card with some new rules
We love local game stores and enjoy supporting them all around the world by offering the special Kickstarter versions of our games to retailers through our PIP program! If you are interested in carrying Railways of Portugal specifically and Eagle-Gryphon Games in general, please sure to send an email to our Sales Director, Jason Grantz (email@example.com) for further information on how to place your pre-order for this fantastic game. Jason will also provide you with further information about our line-up of other great quality games and make sure you stay up-to-date with all of our special promotions!
Pre-ordering directly from us, during this KS period, is the only way to get the free items, such as the Railways of Portugal 3-Card Promo Pack and the achieved Stretch Goals. Pre-ordering guarantees you'll receive your copies well in advance (likely 90 days or more) of the official retail release date! This offer is only available to Brick & Mortar retail stores! Proof of status will be required.
Here is our proposal to Retailers for Railways of Portugal:
Pre-order a minimum of 6 copies at 50% of MSRP + shipping. We will include for free all achieved Stretch Goal content as an incentive to you for pre-ordering during the KS period. You must agree to and follow our PIP rules (available from Jason). Retailers who pre-order will get their pre-ordered copies approx. 90 days before official retail release date.
To purchase Optional Buys, you must increase your pledge by the value of the Optional Buys you wish to purchase (see prices below). To do so, simply click the Manage Your Pledge button and increase it by the cost of the Optional Buys desired.
You will be able to indicate to us the specific Optional Buys that you have chosen in the PledgeManager period which follows this Kickstarter campaign by roughly two weeks. Note: In the rare event that we would run out of stock of an Optional Buy before the close of the Pledge Manager, we will offer a full refund for any extra funds pledged.
Extras for the Railways of Portugal (ROP):
- Additional copies of Railways of Portugal -- add as many as you like for $30 each (MSRP $40)
- 3-Card Promo Pack -- $2 (MSRP $3) - includes 2 Government Subsidy Cards and 1 State Treasury Shares Card
- 6-Card Promo Pack -- $4 (MSRP $6) - includes 1 Operations Growth Card, 1 Boomtown Card, 2 Express Cards, and 2 Civil Engineers Cards
- "Port to Porto" Pack -- $3 (MSRP $5) -- includes extra goods cubes, a special New City "Porto" tile, and a new optional Start Card (yellow S) -- with rules specific to this pack
- "Homage to Pombal" Pack -- $3 (MSRP $5) - includes 4 new disks & a new optional Start Card with rules specific to this pack
- Railways of the World 10th Anniversary Edition (Base Game for up to 6 players) comes with a newly revised board compatible with the new ROWUS board to be used to play the Transcontinental variant. Optional Buy for this KS -- $90 (MSRP $100) [More Info]
- Railways of Nippon (Base Game for up to 4 players) is the very popular 2016 release of a standalone base game with everything needed to play all ROTW expansions for up to 4 players. Comes with a map/board of Japan by designer Hisashi Hayashi. Optional Buy for this KS -- $65 (MSRP $70) [More Info]
NEW Poker Chips:
NEW! Offered in sets of 100 or 200 with a EGG Logo cloth bag -- chips are ABS, 22mm, & weigh 1.7g. They stack & manipulate easily. A great upgrade to the base game paper currency!
- 100 Chip Set (40 white, 40 red and 20 blue, just exactly the number you need for the ROTW series, Age of Steam, & many more games) Optional Buy for this KS $10 (MSRP $12)
- 200 Chip Set (60 white, 60 yellow, 30 red, 30 blue, 20 green) Optional Buy for this KS $17 (MSRP $20)
Expansions to Railways of the World or Railways of Nippon:
- Railways of the Western US (ROWUS) comes with a newly revised board compatible with the new ROEUS board to be used to play the Transcontinental Game Variant Optional Buy for this KS -- $35 (MSRP $40) [More Info]
- The Transcontinental Game Variant -- just the Boards (the ROEUS and ROWUS Boards, newly revised and fully compatible) Optional Buy for this KS -- $10 (MSRP $20)
- Railways of Europe -- Optional Buy for this KS $35 (MSRP $40) [More Info]
- Railways of Great Britain -- Optional Buy this KS $35 (MSRP $40) [More Info]
- Railways of North America -- Optional Buy this KS $35 (MSRP $40) [More Info]
- Railways Through Time -- Optional Buy this KS $18 (MSRP $40) [More Info]
- Railways Express -- a self-contained race game for 2-4 players, especially aimed at ages 7 and up, but great for adults too! Optional Buy for this KS $25 (MSRP $40) [More Info]
Minis -- The Little (but important) Stuff!
- ROTW Event Deck -- a 55 card deck of Current and Future Events to vary the action, replayability, & add to the fun! Optional Buy for this KS $8 (MSRP $10) [More Info]
- The "Minis" for Railways of the World -- 4 of each type (16) in 6 different colors (see picture in Magnate Pledge below) Optional Buy for this KS $35 (MSRP $40) [More Info]
- The "Minis" for Railways of Nippon -- 4 of each type (16) in 4 different colors (see picture below) Optional Buy for this KS $23 (MSRP $27) [More Info]
The Railroad Magnate Bundle:
For those who want it ALL (or most of it anyway)!
Vital Lacerda, Ian O'Toole and EGG Games:
- Escape Plan Deluxe (with all the extras) - Optional Buy for this KS --$130 (MSRP $140)
- Lisboa Deluxe + 55 Metal Coins - Optional Buy for this KS -- $139 (MSRP $148)
- Vinhos Deluxe with 4 expansions - Optional Buy for this KS -- $119 (MSRP $130)
- The Gallerist with the new Scoring Expansion + SG Packs #1 & #2 - Optional Buy for this KS -- $110 (MSRP $120)
In one of the very best BoardGameGeek reviews ever written by Ender's Game, the Dean of Game Reviewers on BGG, Ender calls Railways of the World the "quintessential train game for the typical modern board gamer". Find more here:
Radho Runs Through It (as only Radho can!) --his Final Thoughts on Railways of the World:
An excellent how-to-play video from Off The Shelf Game reviews, on BGG, is linked here:
Tom Vasel, of The Dice Tower, raved about Railways of the World in this video review:
- We pledge to KS Backers that all backers, of any sort, who have paid in advance, will be sent their copies before any others who have not backed in advance. This means that you will be shipped your game before or at the same time as retailers who have backed via KS/PIP and paid in advance; and international distributors who have backed and paid in advance; and those who have backed on PledgeManager and paid in advance.
- We pledge to you that, for a period of at least 90 days after the last of the scheduled shipments are made (pursuant to the pledge above) to any of those who have paid in advance for the game, we will only sell this game: 1) at full retail MSRP on our own Eagle-Gryphon website; or any other website--e.g. Amazon or eBay, controlled by Eagle-Gryphon Games; 2) at conventions which occur at the time of release of the game or within 90 days of the release of the game.
- In other words, we pledge to do our best, within reason, to insure that you will be among the very first owners of this game and that you will have purchased this game at a price significantly less than you will be able to buy this game for at least the first 90 days after it is released to the public.
For this campaign, we are charging shipping during the Kickstarter campaign for shipping one copy of Railways of Portugal to you. Note that the Shipping costs for any Optional Buys (e.g. additional copies of Railways of Portugal; the ROTW or RON base games; poker chips, minis, etc.) will be calculated and billed during the PledgeManager which follows the Kickstarter campaign. We will ship your rewards, en masse, to these international fulfillment partners: Board Game Bliss (Canada), VFI Asia (Asia Pacific), Boosterbox (The Netherlands), and MeepleLogistics / Philibert (EU), Meeple BR (Brazil) and Aetherworks (Australia). Our Fulfillment Partners will then see that your orders get to you quickly and safely, regardless of where you live in the world.
Note: WE DO NOT SHIP TO Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, or Afghanistan.
Risks and challenges
At Eagle-Gryphon Games we stand by our products, but sometimes issues do happen. Please contact our customer service department with regard to any such issues within 90 days of receiving your copy of the game.
Eagle-Gryphon Games has completed 80+ Kickstarter projects to date. All of those projects have either been completely delivered or are in production right now.
We will always do our best through Kickstarter Updates to keep you as informed as possible as to the status of your game(s). However, in this business some uncertain factors are beyond our control, such as holidays, customs, quality control, inspection delays, inclement weather and dock strikes - to name a few. Please understand we have little to no control over such factors. We assure you that you will be the first to know any developments as we learn them.
Put simply: you will get everything we promise to you when you pledge to one of our Kickstarter projects, and it will be delivered to you in as timely a manner as possible.
Shipping issues are relatively uncommon, but they do sometimes occur. We double check all of your games for damage before sending them to you. However, there is a chance that your games may get damaged during shipping by the carrier. If your package is damaged, please contact us so we can assist you.
We will not ship to Russia, the Ukraine and certain places in Asia and the rest of the world, except for specially-made arrangements wherein the Backer takes the risk involved in receiving the package.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (17 days)