Too late for this Kickstarter?
Sorry you missed it, but starting Friday, March 13, you will be able to pre-order Empires: Age of Discovery at the www.EagleGames.net store! We will have many of the expansions, stretch goals and add-ons from this Kickstarter also available for you to pre-order at that time. Thanks for your interest -- Eagle-Gryphon Games
Total Pledge Amount Update:
As of March 10, at 9:50PM (MST--Arizona) 10 minutes before the end of the project. Spieleschmiede (our German pledge-raising sister site) has raised $27,428 (USD) from 209 Backers. And we have raised approx. $6,800 from Polish and other international backers. So our total pledges raised from 1,795 Backers is now:
Last minute ADD-ON for only $29:
See Update #34 for more details about Zong Shi!
Age of Empires III (2007, Tropical Games) is one of the first and still one of the best worker placement board games of all time. The game allows you to revisit the age of exploration and discovery. Take on the role of a colonial power seeking fame, glory, and riches in the New World. As you proceed through three ages, you will launch expeditions of discovery, colonize regions, expand your merchant fleet, build capital buildings that give your nation distinct advantages, develop your economy, and, if necessary, declare war.
We have already raised enough pledges to guarantee all Backers that they will be getting the Deluxe edition of this great game. Its complete contents are described and shown below.
THE DELUXE UPGRADE (BUILDER)
For those of you who already own Age of Empires III and the plastics (figures, boats, coins) which are needed to play, you have the option to pledge for this upgrade for $59. You will get the new heavy-duty box and custom-made PVC insert tray, a new game board, the 6 player boards, the 2 dock overlays, the new score track and score pad, the new (thicker, larger) Capital Building and Trade Good tiles, the new 20-page Rulebook, 3 player reference guides and the new 16-card Discovery Deck of cards. You will also get a FREE copy of Dead Man's Chest and any additionally-earned Stretch Goals (except the $35K and $85K Stretch Goals which include plastic components). You may want to consider buying Add-On #1 if you do not already own the Builders Expansion.
NEW! $81 Level
The Deluxe Edition (MERCHANT)
Includes (Stretch Goals from $30K through $90K in pledges):
- 6 Player Boards -- approx. 11.5" by 7.5"
- 2 Double-sided Colonist Dock Overlays -- approx 7.5" by 3.25"
- 420 Miniatures
(6 different figures--70 total--in each of 6 colors)
- 10 plastic Ship Miniatures
- 57 Capital Building Tiles (approx 2" by 1.5" -- 2.5mm thick)
- 46 Trade Good
Tiles (1" square -- 2.5mm thick)
- A cloth bag with Eagle Games' logo from which to draw Trade Goods
- 16 Discovery Counters/Tiles (1.5" square -- 2.5mm thick)
- 16-Card Discovery Deck (2.5" by 3.5" cards)
- 3 double-sided player reference guides -- approx. 11.5" x 7.5" x 1mm
- 100 plastic replicas of gold and silver doubloons
- A 7.5" by 11.5" 50 page (double-sided) score pad
- A 7.5" by 11.5" scoring track
- A custom-designed PVC glossy black insert tray
- The box is approx. 15.5" by 12.5" by 4.0" & 3mm thick
- A totally revised 20 page Rulebook
- A 23” x 28” Game Board
Does not include:
Does not include any Stretch Goals above $90K, these must be added on:
A copy of Dead Man's Chest (as described at the bottom of this column). This is a new game which, when released will have an MSRP of $15. If you do want this extra game, you may add $4 to your pledge.
Four (4) extra Capital Buildings -- Conquest of the Incan Empire, Spice Trade, Colony in India, and Independence -- see Updates #5, #10, and #12. If you want these, please add $2 to your pledge.
Two new player boards, Denmark and Prussia, and a set of white and black figurines (70 with each) -- see Update #9. If you do want either of these boards and figures, you may add $5 to your pledge--for each one.
100 extra METAL coins in gold and silver. (see Update #17). If you want these metal coins which will substitute in for the plastic coins, you may add $5 to your pledge. Limit: Only one per pledge.
ALL ADD-ONS (see below) are available to you at this MERCHANT Backer Level! This includes the EAODW variant!
Colonists and Captains ($99 through $110) are unchanged--same Levels as before!
You may do away with any of the stretch goals of Dead Man's Chest ($4); two new Player boards ($5 each), or 100 metal coins ($5) by reducing your pledge by the amount in parentheses in this sentence.
We are very pleased to offer a new variant of the base game of EAOD called Empires: Age of Discovery, the World! (EAODW). This an Add-On -- for a $17 additional pledge. When we reach $250,000 in pledges, our gift to you will be to reduce your pledge for this variant by $10 (so that your net pledge for this variant will be just $7!). If we do not make it to $250,000 in pledges, this will remain a $17 Add-On.
All Backers will receive a double-sided main board in your EAOD game. The second side will be the board for EAOD, the World! If you add another $17 to your pledge (reduced to $7 when we hit $250K in pledges) you will receive the stretch goals pertinent to this variant, namely: 17 Trade Goods tiles (4 types); and 10 Capital Buildings (all new and different). All but one of the components for EAODW (the Alliance Capital Building) is shown here:
This chart shows the Stretch Goals we have already achieved:
The prior Stretch Goals for $160K thru $190 K; and $220K thru $240K have been eliminated because they are all included in the Add-On of $17 for the EAOD World Variant. All Backers will receive the World Variant map (it will be included in all copies of the Deluxe Game). If and when we reach $250K in pledges, you will take a $10 refund from your pledge.
AoE III has been out of print for 7 years now, prompting many fans and reviewers to call for a new reprint of the game. When the rights to the game were purchased by Eagle Games, the expense of license renewal of the name from Microsoft proved to be too much, so the game was re-christened Glenn Drover's Empires: Age of Discovery (EAOD), but never reprinted. Early in 2014, Eagle Games asked for volunteers from the BGG community, who really admired the game and who had played it many times, to work with the designer, Glenn Drover, and the CEO of Eagle Games, Rick Soued, to envision what a new, Deluxe version of AoE III might look like and to help them implement it. After nearly a year of work, culminating last month in the NEW rule book, that envisioning process was complete, and resulted in:
1) A new set of rules. Over the years, a highly-regarded and frequently-played game like AoE III develops quite a lot of FAQs. A major goal of the committee was to take all of the FAQs and integrate them into a new set of rules.
2) The Builder Expansion. This expansion was printed in 2011 and is nearly out of print as well. The committee thought it would be most desirable to combine the Builder Expansion (MSRP $40 in 2011) with the original base game (MSRP $60 in 2007). The Builder Expansion added 130 figurines, including a new specialist, the builder, and a new color for a sixth player (purple).
3) A new game board. The new board incorporates elements of better functionality such as: larger and clearer boundaries and adjacencies; worker placement spaces are clear and consistent numbered circles showing order of placement and resolution; there is space for Trade Goods and Capital Building Tiles on the board; the training space for the builder specialist is added to the board, the Player Order track has been moved to the bottom to better reflect the Turn phases; easier-to-read reminder text is included in the Event Boxes.
4) Player boards. The committee really thought that there should be a board for each player so that there was a place to stage Colonists and Specialists, and to place Trade Goods and ships.
5) Score Track and Score Pads. The score track around the board will be replaced by the inclusion of two options for score-keeping. An external scoring track will be provided, as will a very thorough and well-designed score pad.
6) A much sturdier than normal box will be used.The walls of the box will be 3mm thick instead of 1mm-2mm thick, allowing it to carry all of the heavy and plentiful contents that this game features. U-shaped finger cut-outs will be made in the sides of the box so that the many boards inside can be removed without damaging the integrity of the box.
7) A thoroughly-well-thought-out insert will be added. The new insert will be designed to perfectly fit the boards to minimize transit damage. It will also feature a see-through cover; 14 separate compartments to house all the different figures, coins, ships, tokens, tiles and cards; and U holes on the short side panels to add in removing the many boards from the box without damaging the box.
8) 2.5mm thick tokens will replace the normal 1mm to 1.25mm cardboard, for the Capital Buildings, Trade Goods, Discovery Tiles, etc.
9) Overlays for the Colonist Dock so that the Dock, which serves a different number of Colonists depending upon the number of players in the game, can be easily re-configured every time the game is played.
10) A cloth bag, used to draw Trade Good Tiles out of, are now provided in the Deluxe Edition.
11) 100 coins are now included in the Deluxe Edition instead of the 90 coins that were in the original version. We thought about adding a third coin but rejected that idea in favor of this one.
12) Clearly differentiable figures. Several committee members and others solicited felt that the Colonist and Merchant; and the Soldier and Captain, were difficult to distinguish from one another. So a change in the mold, reshaping the bases of these figures, was needed to correct this.
13) Player reference cards. Three are included and these would have brief summaries of the turn order, event box resolution, VP scoring, the builder expansion rules, etc.
NEW Merchant ($81 Level) Add-Ons
Dead Man's Chest $4; Denmark Player Board plus 70 miniatures $5; Prussia Player Board plus 70 miniatures $5; Metal Coins (one set) $5; Four new Capital Buildings $2; EAOD World components ($17 less $10 if we hit $250K in pledges); Ottoman Empire playing board $2
Add-On any of these Award-winning games
from Eagle-Gryphon at 25-43% off (with FREE shipping in the US, France, Germany and Poland)
Add-On #1-- Empires: Age of Discovery Builders Expansion -- $30 (MSRP=$40)
NOTE: The Builder Expansion is FULLY CONTAINED in the Deluxe Edition of this game. If you have pledged $99 or more you do NOT need this ADD-ON so please do not pledge for it! You ONLY need this if you have the prior version of Age of Empires III and you do not have this Builder Expansion already!
ADD-ON #2-- $15 per set of 70 figures
ADD-ON #3 Metal coins -- $5 (max. one extra set)
Add-On #4 -- Clockwork Wars (includes Sentience expansion) -- $110 (MSRP to be $130)
Add-On #5 -- Francis Drake $59 or the Francis Drake Expansions $18 (or $74 for both -- MSRP $110)
Add-On #6 -- Triassic Terror (includes 2 expansion tiles and a pterodactyl while supplies last) -- $45 (MSRP $70)
Add-On #7 -- Railways of the World -- $59 (MSRP $80)
Add-On #8 --Defenders of the Realm -- $60 (MSRP $85) Highly-rated cooperative Fantasy Game by designer Richard Launius (Arkham Horror, Elder Sign)
Add-On #9 -- Brass -- $39 (MSRP $60) #15 ALL-Time BGG-rated Game
Add-On #10 -- Rococo -- $49 (MSRP $60) One of only 3 finalists for the 2014 German Game of the Year (includes the extra 9 tile promo pack).
Add-On #11 -- Through the Ages, 3rd Edition -- $55 (MSRP $70)............ #3 ALL-Time BGG-rated game! In limited supply.
Add-On #12 -- Extra Score Pad -- $5
Add-On #13 -- Three extra player reference cards -- $5
Add-On #14 -- EAoD world Map -- $17 (Get a $10 refund when total pledges reach 250K. The graphic below should say a $10 refund, not $7 as it does).
The above graphic should say it is a $10 refund (net $7 cost) when we reach $250K in pledges.
Poland: Empires: Age of Discovery będzie dostepna w Polsce z polską, kolorową instrukcją i tłumaczeniem wszystkich żetonów. Pozostałe komponenty gry będą w języku angielskim. Jeśli chcesz zakupić grę w cenie obowiązującej na Kickstarterze, a także skorzystać z bonusów dostępnych w trakcie trwania kampanii, wyślij proszę maila na adres: firstname.lastname@example.org podając w treści, którym wariantem zakupu jesteś zainteresowany. Wyłącznym dystrybutorem gry na terenie Polski jest wydawnictwo Hobbity.eu. Wysyłka gry odbędzie się z Polski i w tym przypadku koszt dostawy wyniesie 0 zł. Uwaga: to kolekcjonerskie wydanie gry Empires: Age of Discovery waży około 6-7 kg.
Japan: 日本市場向けの「エンパイア・エイジ・オブ・ディスカバリー」には和訳ルールとタイル和訳が付属します。ゲーム本体は英語版ですので、日本語版ではなく“英語版の和訳添付販売”となります。 日本市場向け「エンパイア・エイジ・オブ・ディスカバリー」は日本正規代理店“クロノノーツゲーム”を通してお客さまにお届けさせて頂きます。和訳添付版のキックスターター価格でのお申し込みご希望のお客様は「email@example.com」までキックスターター期間終了前までにお申しつけください（こちらのアドレスへは英文メールをお送りください。もし英訳が必要な場合は「firstname.lastname@example.org」クロノノーツゲーム渡辺までお気軽にお問合せください）。送料はゲームが非常に重いため（6～7キロ）、申し訳有りませんが$30頂戴いたします。Add $30 for Japanese shipping to your pledge!!!
France: Empires: Age of Discovery, conçu par Glenn Drover, vous permettra de revisiter l'âge de l'exploration et de la découverte. Prenez en charge une puissance coloniale à la recherche de gloire et de richesse dans le Nouveau Monde. Pendant que vous progressez pendant les trois périodes, vous lancerez des expéditions pour explorer puis coloniser les régions, vous développerez votre flotte marchande, construirez des bâtiments qui donneront à vos nations des avantages spécifiques, développerez votre économie, et, si nécessaire, vous pourrez déclarez la guerre. Empire Age of Discovery sera disponible sur le marché français, avec une règle et une aide de jeu en Français. Le reste du jeu (tuiles et plateaux de jeu) sera en anglais avec une aide de jeu sur laquelle vous trouverez la traduction française des tuiles. Si vous voulez une version française, souscrivez normalement pendant la durée du kickstarter afin de profiter du tarif préférentiel et des bonus. Les frais de ports pour ce jeu (6-7kg!) S'élèveront à environ 15 $ (USD) pour un envoi en France grâce à un partenariat avec Philibert, la célèbre boutique de jeu.Germany: Es ist das Ende des 15. Jahrhunderts und der Beginn eines neuen Zeitalters. Auf der Suche nach einer neuen Handelsroute nach Indien sind die Entdecker auf ein neues Land gestoßen. Es gibt erste Berichte über merkwürdige Kreaturen, fremdartige Menschen und sagenhafte Reichtümer. Seeleute und Abenteurer begeben sich auf die Jagd nach Gold in diesem neuen Land. Schon bald folgen ihnen Kolonisten, Soldaten, Händler und Missionare, die alle auf der Suche nach Reichtum der einen oder anderen Art sind. Kolonien entstehen und schon bald beginnt der Wettkampf zwischen den großen Nationen Europas. Übernimm die Rolle einer europäischen Kolonialmacht und sichere dir dein Gebiet in der Neuen Welt! Als Anführer deiner Nation gibt es für dich viele Wege zum Ruhm: entdecke und kolonisiere neues Land; kaufe Handelsgüter, um deine Wirtschaft aufzubauen; entwickle in deinem Heimatland neue Technologien und neue Infrastruktur; baue deine Handelsflotte auf und sichere dir die Vorherrschaft über die Handelsrouten und stelle eine Armee auf, um das zu verteidigen, was rechtmäßig dir gehört! Der Sieger wird reich und berühmt, während die Besiegten nur noch eine Randnotiz der Geschichte werden. Es ist das Zeitalter der Entdeckungen … das Zeitalter der Imperien!
EAOD wird in Deutschland mit deutschen Spielregeln und deutschen Erklärungen der Plättchen erscheinen. Der Rest des Spiels ist auf Englisch, mit einer Erklärung der Plättchen auf Deutsch. Wenn du vom Kickstarter-Preis und anderen Vorteile profitieren willst, dann schicke eine Email an email@example.com und schreibe uns, was du bestellen möchtest, während die Aktion auf Kickstarter läuft. Der Versand beträgt ungefähr 15 US$, da es sich um ein sehr großes und schweres Spiel handelt (6-7 kg). Danke.
Shipping is now automatically added to your pledge based on the country you are shipping to. For this project, US AND French AND Polish AND German shipping is $15; Canadian shipping is $19; shipping to Australia, Austria, Belgium, China, Luxembourg, the Netherlands and the UK is $25; the rest of the EU is $35. Japan is $30 (courtesy of Chrononauts, our partner in Japan!). Note that this game will ship to you by/around July, 2015! The French shipping is only $15 (Belgium $20 and Switzerland $25) because of the generosity of Boutique Philibert in Strasbourg--who will pay the postage to distribute this game, at this special price and with all Stretch Goals--to all French backers! Please support Boutique Philibert (maybe add some other games to your order when it is ready?) -- thanks! The same generosity has been extended by Hobbity Games in Poland to all Polish backers! So shipping in Poland is ONLY $15 as well! Please support Hobbity Games and get some extra games from them that will ship with your EAOD pledge!
In the US, 2 Empires: Age of Discovery games will cost $ 225, including shipping; 3 games will cost $336, including shipping and 4 games will cost $435, including shipping. For other countries or different quantities please write us a Message using the "Contact me" blue link at the bottom right corner of the first screen (under the Eagle-Gryphon Games logo).
Glenn Drover was the founder and president of Eagle Games, Inc. from 2000 – 2006. During that time he ran the company while also designing and publishing several high-end board games including Railroad Tycoon, Age of Mythology, Conquest of the Empire, Sid Meier’s Civilization, Attack!, Napoleon in Europe, War! Age of Imperialism, The American Civil War, and others. In 2007 under his private Tropical Games label, Glenn also designed and published Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery, which enjoyed great commercial and critical success.
He has won several gaming design awards, including these for AoE III:
- Origins Award; Best Historical Board Game 2007 for Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery
- Bruno Faidutti’s Game of the Year for Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery
Glenn’s other career is as a sales executive in PC/videogames where he has been a key contributor in the growth of the most successful companies in the industry, Including: Activision, PopCap, Maxis, and MicroProse during a 25 year career. Glenn lives in Plainfield, Illinois with his wife Christine and their three children: Jack, Emma, and Ethan
Kickstarter Backers GET A FREE COPY of Dead Man's Chest, by Paul Jefferies, never before released to the public. Here are the RULES.
Dead Man's Chest is a very social dice game of bidding and bluffing for 3 to 8 pirates.To win, you must be the last Pirate with any gems. Roll the dice in the Treasure Chest shaker and pass it to the next player while claiming your roll. Will that Pirate challenge your bid, or shake again to pass the challenge to the next Pirate? Lose a challenge and you lose a gem!
Choose wisely and beware the roll of DEAD MAN! Bluff and Deception are encouraged!
Risks and challenges
Eagle-Gryphon Games stands by our products, but sometimes issues do happen. Please contact our customer service department with regard to any such issues within 90 days of receiving your copy of Empires: Age of Discovery.
Shipping issues are relatively uncommon, but they do sometimes occur, especially when shipping to destinations outside of the US. We will obtain tracking information when it is possible, but sometimes it is not. We cannot guarantee that there will not be shipping problems, as we cannot guarantee the service and reliability of the various postal/delivery services involved around the world. You will have to assume that risk along with us.
Eagle-Gryphon Games has completed 41 Kickstarter projects to date. 36 of those projects have completed delivery. Four projects, successfully completed on Kickstarter within the past 6 weeks, include--the 12 Days of Christmas, King's Kilt, Krakatoa and Taluva Deluxe. The final project--Clockwork Wars, is still in pre-production, totally on schedule and slated for delivery in or before July, 2015. We keep Backers notified by Updates about the status of their projects. We deliver on our promises reliably and usually on time (the very few delays we have ever had were related to production schedule issues and/or transport issues such as dock strikes, which we have only, at best, partial or NO control over).
To put it simply, you will get everything you are promised when you pledge to one of our Kickstarter Projects, and it will be delivered to you in as timely a manner as possible.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (25 days)