About this project
Worker Placement is an easy-to-learn strategy board game of earning cash and gaining reputation. In the game, you assume the role of a temporary employment agency CEO who is trying to build your start-up business into a thriving operation. The path to success seems simple enough: hire unemployed temp workers, help them upgrade their skills, and find them the best short-term jobs so your company can get paid its cut. Competition with other temp agencies is fierce, though, so establishing a solid reputation as a reliable and dependable agency can bump your workers towards the front of the employment line for first pick of the premium jobs.
Worker Placement plays in about 45 minutes and is suitable for 2-5 players, ages 10+. With a variety of engaging play mechanics – including card drafting, hand management, bidding, set collecting, and of course worker placement – playful illustrations with accompanying flavour text, and simple rules that take only minutes to learn, running a successful temp agency business has never been this much fun!
As a bonus, the Cash is King expansion pack is included with your pledges starting at the $65+ Gamer Level and it will ship at the same time as the base game. In addition to the new rules and extra player tokens that allows up to 6-8 players in your Worker Placement games, you'll also find over 100 new game cards that enhance gameplay, including valuable 'big money' Jobs and three new card types: rental buildings, exclusive contracts, and double skills. For extra details, visit the Cash is King page on the Dyskami Publishing website.
Designed by award-winning publisher and game designer, Mark MacKinnon.
Graphic design and illustrations by comic artist, Steve Mills.
- full-colour rulebook (download the full rules at http://bit.ly/Huooo2)
- The City game board (17’ x 23’)
- 109 game cards (Workers, Skills, Management, Jobs, Player Order)
- 60 wooden skill cubes (15 each of Clerical, Labour, Tech, Life)
- 15 wooden meeple tokens in 5 colours (3 meeples for each player)
- 5 wooden Cash and 5 wooden Thumbs tokens (one each for the players)
- a time-tracking wooden hourglass token
- stretch goals as they unlock
The following 11-minute video provides a comprehensive gameplay demonstration of Worker Placement, walking you though an entire round of the game and detailing all six game steps.
Before we Kickstarted Worker Placement, we asked many trusted reviewers to give their thoughts on the game so we could share them with you. The results are the feedback has been outstanding and nearly unanimous in their praise of the game!
Rahdo Runs Through [LINK]:
- "This is the ultimate gateway game ... and a light gamer’s game as well."
- "...plays as smooth and as fast and as clean as Lords of Waterdeep."
- "Very, very entertaining ... very, very tense ... but really simple!"
- "Rock solid. Super-duper tight."
- “This is a game I can definitely say that I’ve enjoyed every single time I’ve played it...”
- “It allows me to turn the TV off, turn off my iPod, turn off everything else, and I can just sit down and I can interact with the people that I love. And that’s what this game does for me. That’s why I really, really like this game.”
- “Every hardcore gamer needs to have a game like this on their shelf…”
Indie Cardboard [LINK]:
- “Worker Placement is a light, incredibly entertaining and spectacularly clever game that is easy to recommend for novice and seasoned players alike.”
- “...a charming introductory course in worker placement games that trades complications for fun.”
Dad’s Gaming Addiction [LINK]:
- “Worker Placement practically screams potential and turned out to be more than the sum of its parts.”
- “Worker Placement is definitely one of the better worker placement games I’ve played this year...”
How Lou Sees It [LINK]:
- “The theme and game mechanics work well and the jobs and job descriptions will make you smile or laugh out loud.”
- "...a fun, entertaining game, for a nice range of ages and game interests."
- "8 out of 10 Stars"
- "I was impressed by the artwork and dialogue on the cards; the humour being very much in line with The Office and Dilbert."
- "If you're looking for a primer on the worker placement genre ... [it's] a great place to begin."
- “...gives you just a taste of what to expect from the genre without feeling overwhelmed by the complexity..."
Polyhedron Collider [LINK]:
- "...a perfect introduction to the genre, suitable for a wide range of skill levels and ages."
- "It's a solid game with easy to learn mechanics..."
- "...not everyone needs a beard strokingly complex economic engine in their game."
Big Game Productions [LINK]:
- "...I was really impressed by the look and feel of the game."
- "...something that was easily grasped by my 10 and 12 year old children..."
- "4 out of 5 stars!"
Father Geek [LINK]:
- Gamer Geek, Parent Geek, and Child Geek approved!
- "...a very well designed and well positioned game suitable for almost anyone."
- "...a great game to introduce to new players as a 'gateway game'."
- "...the game play is tight and well thought out. This is a solid game."
If we reach our $10,000 funding goal, we’ll have enough money to send Worker Placement to press promptly, so it will be ready to ship to backers in fall 2014. The game is fantastic as presented and we know you’ll be pleased with the results, but we are committed to providing FREE REWARDS – upgrading the quality of the game pieces and adding some awesome extra features, fun bits, and exclusive goodies – to all backers with $40+ pledges should we receive funds exceeding our $10,000 target. Help us spread the word to make it happen! New stretch goal rewards will be added as the current goals are reached.
Dyskami is a tabletop gaming company headquartered in Guelph, Ontario, Canada and established in 2013 by publisher and game designer, Mark MacKinnon. We are dedicated to creating products for today's busy board gamers, both casual and hardcore, who may not have as much time for their hobby as before.
Worker Placement is Dyskami’s second Kickstarter project, retooled and relaunched from an earlier effort. Our first successful campaign (hosted by Kickin' it Games) was for Mark’s fairy tale strategy board game, Upon a Fable, which exceeded funding needs and generated some great stretch goals for backers in 2013. Upon a Fable started shipping to international backers on-time in mid-October, with backers in the Americas following shortly thereafter.
Prior to his time with Dyskami, Mark published dozens of role-playing games, card games, and dice games, including among others the Big Eyes, Small Mouth and Silver Age Sentinels RPGs and the 2001 Origins Award-winning Sailor Moon Collectable Card Game.
This direct-to-consumers Kickstarter is a vital component for producing Worker Placement and distributing it worldwide. Dyskami Publishing strongly supports the efforts of independent game retailers and would be happy to provide a discount for a bulk case of Worker Placement (including all pledge bonuses and stretch goals), which we will fulfil at your store immediately after it arrives at our warehouse. Please contact Dyskami Publishing directly (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information how we can work together to help support your store.
Risks and challenges
As mentioned earlier, Dyskami Publishing has already fulfilled our previous successful Kickstarter campaign for Upon a Fable, which started shipping on-time to international backers (about a month later for the Americas) with great stretch goals included. So we’ve done this before and have done it well.
This Worker Placement project is managed by creatives and entrepreneurs who have many years of experience with the hobby gaming industry. Additionally, the game design, illustrations, and writing is finished and is undergoing final graphic production as this Kickstarter proceeds to ensure the files are ready to send to the printer promptly upon campaign completion, to meet our fall 2014 delivery date. Shipping will be fulfilled by Game Salute, which is why your Worker Placement pledge through Amazon shows "Game Salute" as the recipient.
Consequently, we believe that the risks and challenges are minimal for this project, though several unpredictable factors could possibly intercede with a project of this nature:
• the printer could experience production issues with custom pieces, leading to delays
• shipping from the factory may experience unexpected delays
• domestic cartage companies may be subject to unanticipated work action by employees
Support this project
- (35 days)