About this project
Warband: Against the Darkness plays in 60-90 minutes and is suitable for 2-5 players, ages 10+. It is balanced in the design space between Euro and Ameri-style gameplay, combining strategic depth with an evocative fantasy theme and tense player conflict. The units of all the players may be part of the same warband and share leadership on the battlefield, but gameplay is not co-operative in any way. Several engaging play mechanics – including area control, set collecting, action selection, and abstracted combat – are combined in a unique way to create a tabletop experience that'll keep your gaming group coming back for more!
Game design by Micah Fuller, member of the Game Artisans of Canada. Graphic design by Jeff Mackintosh. Illustrations by Joseph Shawcross. Cartography by Robert Altbauer.
The Warband: Against the Darkness board game includes everything needed to play:
- A two-part game board (24' x 12') – the Five Realms map and the warband roster
- 74 mini-Euro game cards (24 Enemy cards, 20 Intel cards, 30 Redress cards)
- 106 wooden unit cubes (20 of each colour - black, blue, red, white, yellow - plus 6 brown mercenary units)
- 38 wooden captain meeples (7 of each colour - black, blue, red, white, yellow - plus 3 brown mercenary captains)
- 10 player race boards (Dragonfolk, Dwarves, Elementals, Elves, Giants, Halflings, Minotaurs, Rockmen, Rodentia, and Wolfaen) -- PLUS an extra 10 new race boards available at the $75+ Player Deluxe level
- 5 race action track boards
- 5 player aid boards
- Dozens of cardboard coins in 1, 3, and 5 gold denominations
- Pencil and score pad
The following 6-minute video provides a brief overview demonstration of Warband: Against the Darkness, walking you though the game components and actions in the game. Check out the rulebook PDF and game reviews below for more details.
Before we Kickstarted Warband, we asked many trusted reviewers to give their thoughts on the game so we could share them with you. The feedback has been outstanding! Watch the videos and visit the links below!
Rahdo Runs Through [LINK]:
- "There are literally three or four games going on at once in this game."
- "... the ways [to score points] here are tightly intertwined with each other."
- "We were just taken aback by it’s cleverness and unexpectedness while we were playing."
- "… clever … fast … snappy … a sharp, sharp game."
- "I’ve been having difficulty finding new [mid-weight strategy Euros] that have really intrigue me lately. This is definitely one of those that I’ve really enjoyed."
- "It plays 2-5 players. At each of those numbers it plays really, really well."
- "I really dig it … It’s something you should definitely check out."
NVS Gameplays [LINK]:
- “I quite, quite enjoyed playing Warband: Against the Darkness…There is a charm about this game that drew me in.”
- “I can’t find anything about this game that I didn’t like.”
- “This has to be one of the best rule books that I have ever read…[Dyskami Publishing] did an absolutely amazing job.”
Bower's Game Corner [LINK]:
- “Overall, Warband: I liked it.”
- “I really enjoyed it with two players … it goes super quick.”
- “I also like the variable special abilities. I think that adds a nice little touch to it.”
How Lou Sees [LINK]:
- “... it works well ... there are so many different things you need to look at and that you score with.”
- “... the possibilities are so great with this game.”
- “Lots of variety ... it’s very well done.”
- “I’ve played a couple games of Warband, and I really enjoy it.”
- “... it’s actually a very clever Euro-style game with interesting choices to make on every turn.”
- “Many games claim there are multiple paths to victory, but Warband actually pulls it off.”
Polyhedron Collider [LINK]:
- "Warband tricks you; it starts you off thinking you’re playing a thematic co-operative battle game, it then leads you down a road of cube laying Euro-ness...”
- "There are a lot of races to choose from so you’re going to get plenty of variety out of Warband..."
"It follows the well-written and methodical systems that Dyskami have become known for..."
Father Geek [LINK]:
- "Finally! A Euro-style fantasy game that I can teach and play with my kids!" (comment from a Parent Geek)
- "It played quickly, gave us something to talk about, something to think about, and something to cheer about."
- “...the artwork by Robert Altbauer and Joseph Shawcross is simply fantastic."
Gaming Bits [LINK]:
- "I’m really impressed with how much the theme was integrated into the components and how awesome they all look."
- "The rules are straight forward and easily transition through an actual round of play beautifully."
- "There’s a lot of strategy, player interaction, and fun to be had with this game."
- "It’s as good or better than anything out there right now ... This is definitely a new classic that everyone should own."
Blog Critics [LINK]:
- “Warband from Dyskami Publishing is a game not quite like any other.”
- “Unlike in other fantasy games where battles are nail-biting affairs of rolling dice and hoping for the best, in Warband the Fight action is a clear and logical progression.”
- “Players who love intense mind games will become fast fans of Warband...”
Indie Cardboard [LINK]:
- “... what I find most captivating about this game is how it manages to integrate so many different types of mechanics into a single experience. From area majority and set collection to even elements of worker placement, Warband is littered with ideas.”
- “... the most attractive thing about Warband is how every decision feels far reaching and has the potential to impact other players at the table.”
Warband: Against the Darkness is our third board game funded through Kickstarter. If you haven't yet picked up our first two games – the fairy tale strategy game, Upon a Fable, or the temp agency gateway Euro, Worker Placement – it's an ideal time to do so!
The extra money we raise from Kickstarter pledges that include Upon a Fable and/or Worker Placement will help us fund the production of Warband ... and will count towards future stretch goals. too! These extra games will ship with your Warband pledge in the spring 2015.
Pledge $88+ to get two games: Warband and either Upon a Fable or Worker Placement.
Pledge $127+ to get three games: Warband and both Upon a Fable and Worker Placement.
There are two ways to back the Warband campaign to receive the awesome expansion pack. First, you can pledge at the $75+ Player Deluxe level, which includes the core Warband game PLUS the expansion pack outlined below. Alternatively, you can just add $26 for each copy of the expansion pack you want to any pledge level (excluding the Follower and Supporter levels).
Dyskami Publishing is a tabletop gaming company headquartered in Guelph, Ontario, Canada and established in 2013 by award-winning publisher and game designer, Mark MacKinnon.
Warband: Against the Darkness is Dyskami’s third Kickstarter project. Our first successful campaign was for our fairy tale strategy board game, Upon a Fable, which generated some great stretch goals for backers. It shipped ON TIME in late 2013. Our second successful Kickstarter campaign for our temp agency board game, Worker Placement, has recently started the shipping process and will also be shipping ON TIME (maybe even a little EARLY!) to backers in August-October 2014.
As you can see, we have an exceptional Kickstarter reputation and track record ... allowing you to pledge with confidence!
This direct-to-consumers Kickstarter is a vital component for producing Warband and distributing it worldwide. Dyskami Publishing strongly supports the efforts of independent game retailers and would be happy to provide a discount for a bulk case of Warband (including stretch goals), which we will fulfil at your store immediately after it arrives at our warehouse. Please contact Dyskami Publishing directly (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information how we can work together to help support your store.
Risks and challenges
As mentioned earlier, Dyskami Publishing has already fulfilled (or is currently filling) two previous successful Kickstarter campaigns. We’ve done this before and have done it exceptionally well.
This Warband project is managed by creatives and entrepreneurs who have many years of experience with the hobby gaming industry. Additionally, the game design, illustrations, and writing is finished and is undergoing final graphic production as this Kickstarter proceeds to ensure the files are ready to send to the printer promptly upon campaign completion, to meet our spring 2015 delivery date. Shipping will be fulfilled by the Game Salute warehouse, which is why your Warband pledge through Amazon shows "Game Salute" as the recipient (though Game Salute has no other connections to the project).
Consequently, we believe that the risks and challenges are minimal for this project, though several unpredictable factors could possibly intercede with a project of this nature:
• the printer could experience production issues with custom pieces, leading to delays
• shipping from the factory may experience unexpected delays
• domestic cartage companies may be subject to unanticipated work action by employees
Support this project
- (34 days)