Is it worth in light of the high goal to back this project?
Yes- Even if we might not reach the high funding goal (see details below) Magnic Microlights will come to market. It depends on the results here which version and which prices we can offer but all backers of this project will benefit from their support!
Yet another bike light?
NO! Our lights are different from all what you have seen before. The world's first contactless rim dynamos work on pure (non-magnetic) aluminium wheels and deliver never-ending bright light without any batteries, without wheel-contact, without cables, and without noticeable resistance. What sounds like a miracle is based on eddy current technology and has nothing to do with perpetual motion machine concepts or pseudo-science.
Our new product "Magnic Microlights" develops the all-in-all cycling lights into a customary cycle component (like a handlebar or saddle) and includes a brake light in the basic version and further features such as the ultra-cool and useful turn signal triggered via the brake handle, bluetooth-speed transmission as well as a smartphone-controlled navigation signals in the smart-version. Watch the turn signal video below: Except the lights you don't need any extras for this useful feature.
- Language Selection
- Media Coverage
- The Rewards (Basic, Stand Light, Smart versions)
- Adjustment towards the road
- Brake Rubber Replacement
- Brake Light Function
- Smart Features (Turn Signals, Navigation, Speed Data, Crash Detection, Configuration)
- Additional information (Handling, Energy consumption, ...)
- 1 Mio € Funding Goal
- Malawi Edition
- Payment without Credit Card/ Bezahlung ohne Kreditkarte
Below we have listed the different reward levels as artificial images.
- Chip: Physikalisches Phänomen: Neues Fahrradlicht funktioniert ohne Batterie und Dynamo
- CloudBT: Stay bright on your bike with Magnic Microlights
- velomotion :Magnic Microlights: Winzige Fahrradbeleuchtung ohne Akku oder Dynamo
- elektrofahrrad24.de : "MAGNIC MICROLIGHTS" STRAHLEN MIT UNSICHTBAREM, KABELLOSEN DYNAMO
- velobiz.de: Bei einer Million Euro schalten Magnic Microlights das Licht ein
- biopianeta/ IT: MAGNIC MICROLIGHTS: LE LUCI INTELLIGENTI PER LA BICICLETTA
- greenMe / IT: Le luci per la bici che sfruttano la frenata per illuminare senza batteria
- urbancycling/ IT: Magnic Microlights. Le luci intelligenti e senza contatto
- tuttobiciweb/ IT MAGNIC MICROLIGHTS. I FARI A CORRENTI DI VORTICE
- Zol.com/ CHN: Magnic Microlights help Night Cyclists
- okzhineng.com: Magnic Microlights
- Internetkom/ Japan: ブレーキが、自転車用ライトに―「渦電流」を活用する「Magnic Microlights」
- fabcross/ Japan: It also serves as lights and blinkers - Bicycle brake shoe with non-contact type dynamo built in "Magnic Microlights"
- Das Saturn Magazin: Magie? Dieses Fahrradlicht funktioniert ohne Batterie und Reibung
- Digitaltrends: No batteries. No wires. No friction. These bike lights are powered by physics
- New Atlas: Eddy current-powered bike lights are back, and built into the brakes
- Treehugger.com: These bicycle brakes add battery-free lighting
- want.nl: Deze fietsverlichting wekt zijn eigen energie op en maakt je fiets ook nog slim
- Westfalen-Blatt: Eine Million Starthilfe für Fahrrad-Licht
- Notinthepeloton: Magnic Microlights
- Designboom.com : magic magnic microlights illuminate your bike wheels with physics
- Jawa Pos: Magnic Microlights Kini Lebih Canggih
- rowery.jednoslad.pl :WPISY ZE ZNACZNIKAMI ‘MAGNIC MICROLIGHTS’
- Pocketnavigation.de: Kickstarter Kampagne Magnic Microlights präsentiert kontaktlose Fahrradbeleuchtung
- Focus: Wenn der Bremsklotz leuchtet
- Welt: Micro-Fahrraddynamo Magnic Lights
- Technikneuheiten.com: Berührungsloser Dynamo als neue Lichtlösung für Radfahrer
- .. (to be continued)
You want your light with contactless energy now?
Brake Rubber Replacment
Brake Light Function
How does it work? If you tap the brake lever the distance between Microlights and rim changes which can be detected in the lights (even without braking). A double-tap is our signal for the blinker: If you double-tap the right brake lever the rear lights detect the signal and via bluetooth to the front lights- so that lights on the right side are blinking. Correspondingly this works on the left side.
Navigation is similar to the turn signals - but here you are guided and need our Smartphone App for navigation: Lights are controlled by the navigation app and start to blink on the left or right side when you have to turn left/right. Put your smartphone in your bag and let the lights guide your way.
Speed Data Transmission
The smart Magnic Microlights are equipped with a Bluetooth LE microcontroller which easily detects the rotation speed of your wheel from the incoming current. Via smartphone or Bluetooth LE compatible speedometer you can receive speed data for display or further processing. This feature replaces Bluetooth LE speed sensors which have the same function but need extra mounting and extra batteries.
Crash detection with emergency call
This feature requires some future development and is still theory. In case of a crash generators will stop abruptly. We need some test data but we are confident to be able to detect a crash situation reliably which can be sent to the smartphone in order to make an emergency call.
Configuraton for Stand light and more
We will offer different stand light patterns which can be set via Smartphone App. Additionally it will be possible to switch the internal orientation of the lights (for example for correct turn signals if your left and right brake levers deviate from standard installations).
In September a German TV team visited us and made this report (only available in German)
More articles about our technology are on the Magnic Light homepage You want to write an article on our campaign? Here are some images (will be extended) which are free for press articles.
The core part is the world’s smallest contact and frictionless bicycle dynamo, that is integrated together with the electronic and the lighting system in the brake shoe of a calliper brake. The worldwide patented technic developed by the German company Magnic Innovations is based on a eddy current induction: a magnetic wheel in a generator separated from the bicycle rim by a narrow air gap induces temporary magnetic fields even in non-magnetic aluminium bicycle rims when the bicycle rim is moving. This leads to the magnetic wheel rotating contactlessly as if by magic.
Neither batteries nor external cables, further fittings or spoke-magnets are necessary. Solely the brake shoes are to be exchanged for microlight - brake shoes, so that the maintenance only involves the exchange of worn brake pads after thousands of kilometres. The included brake pads are compatible with other standard brake pads of other manufacturers as available in every cycle shop.
The key is so-called eddy current technology : Energy is drawn from the rotating bicycle wheels without any physical contact, and thus without friction. Instead, eddy currents created by strong magnets generate electricity to power the lights: When the wheel spins, magnets inside the generator induce eddy currents with corresponding magnetic fields in the wheel, which in turn interact with the magnets in the generator. The resulting electricity will power your lights indefinitely without any environmentally harmful batteries or cumbersome cables.
While the previous larger Magnic Lights were equipped with two LEDs (one for stand light) Magnic Microlights have just one LED which is fed by ultra-high efficient Mosfet rectifiers.
Whilst the previous Kickstarter-version „Magnic Light“ gained several design, function and environment awards such as the GreenTec-Award, the German Design Award or the ISPO-Award, the initiator Dirk Strothmann received the Bike Valley Innovation Award for the 20 gram light new development that was handed over in October by cycling legend Eddy Merckx at the Euro-Cycling XP exhibition in Maastricht.
Some more facts and news can be found here below:
Magnic Microlights- Additional information
Just exchange your old brake pads and don't worry about biycle illumination any more!
Some important things about Magnic Microlights:
- These are the smallest (contactless) rim generators and work for all metal rims without any additional components: (no batteries, no cables, no extra adapters, no mechanical friction and nearly no deceleration)
- The brake shoes are compatible with standard brake pads (Shimano and other brake pads can be used, too).
- Magnic Microlights are NOT compatible with Maguara HS11/ HS33 . This might be part of a strech goal.
- When the brake rubber is worn down it can be exchanged separately
- The disc brake version rim is fixed by a special clamp holder.
- The "Smart" version has additional functions:
- Integrated speed measurement for use as a wireless sensor for speedometers with Bluetooth LE (You no longer need a sensor on the fork or a magnet on the spokes for wireless speed control because the speed signal directly comes from the brake shoes)
- Use as a turn signal without switches on the handlebar - simply use the brake levers: Turn left front- & tail light into flashing mode by two short taps on the left brake lever, accordingly, control the flashing to the right side easyly with the right brake lever. (The turn signal function does not work for disc brakes).
- Control different stand light flashing modes via smartphone - Read speed and distance data via smartphone app - Use as navigation indicator (in combination with smartphone route planner)
- While the low-cost standard version is manufactured in a robust plastic housing, the housing of the "Smart" version is made of aluminum.
How much energy do Magnic Microlights consume?
Energy consumption is less than 0,3 Watts per light (in average) at 20 km/h. You can't feel the difference when cycling.
Without lighting, cyclists risk their lives in the dark - but those on the road with battery lights will soon be left in the dark when the journey takes too long or the batteries are no longer full. For those who do not want to mount heavy dynamos, use batteries or lay cables, we've launched two Kickstarter projects with our non-contact Magnic Lights, which feel like battery lighting without having to exchange or change batteries. Magnic Microlights can't be turned off at daylight and we are convinced this makes sense from a safety point of view: With lights on your visibilty increases significantly which means a great deal of safety.
1 Mio € Funding Goal
In order to be transparent and to be able to produce and deliver high quality products at moderate customer prices we decided not to fool backers by telling we could handle this High-Tech project with a low budget. At the moment it may seem unrealistic to reach the goal but we are confident to reach it by getting more and more public attention- and in the course of the project we received external third party requests which may close the gap in case we miss the goal.
What does this mean for the backers?
These are the options:
1) Goal is reached -> Rewards will be delivered
2) Goal is not reached ->
- a) If 3rd party closes the gap all backers will be informed and can decide if they want to confirm their chosen reward. (This might be a 1- week Kickstarter short project with 1€ funding goal, amended by a preorder part for backers of the limited rewards in our own shopping system - just as an example)
- b) If the gap can't be closed no money will be drawn from your account and no rewards will be delivered.
We do our best to reach option 1. At the moment probabilty for option 2a) seems higher but even in this case you as a backer of this campaign have the advantage to receive Magnic Microlights much earlier and at a lower price.
We are launching a collaboration with an orphans organization in Malawi (one of the poorest countries in the world): Kindle Orphan Outreach. The idea might look daring but we have very good friends from Germany and Malawi who have returned this summer to Kindle after one year here in Germany and will help to make this adventure a success story. We plan that young adults do the assembly of the "Magnic Microlight - Malawi Edition" in the rooms of the Kindle Organization. This Malawi version which will be part of the crowdfunding rewards. Economically this is possible because the small size and weight of the components allows to ship goods with moderate cost and the basics are given: Rooms with electricity + internet connection - and the most important: motivated people who will have a new perspective. For us it will be possible to pay employees much more than the usual incredible cheap salary in Malawi and we will be able to invest in education and infrastructure because the same work is much more expensive in Germany.
If you choose a Malawi-Edition reward please not that you will have to wait at least 3 months longer for your reward than for the German version. We hope for your understanding.
- Dirk Strothmann (Management, CAD & Software Design,...)
- Jörn Strothmann (Hardware Tests & Design)
- Antje Strothmann (Photo and video recordings, Shipments)
- Lisa Strothmann (Aerial photo and video recordings)
Development and production of Magnic Lights strongly depends on our partners. Here is the list of our partners and coworkers:
- VTS Elektronik Gmbh, Fürstenau /GER (Electronic Circuit Design, PCB Board Design & Automated/ Roboter PCB Board Assembly), Coil Winding & Assembly
- HAICHENG MOLD, Shenzhen /CHN Tooing & Injection mold processing
- Shenzhen Hill optical technology ,CHN , Lens development & production
- Flanders Bike Valley : Bluetooth Integration & Test Environment
- Jéssica Carriço, 3D animations
Payment without Credit Card/ Bezahlung ohne Kreditkarte
Unterstützer aus Deutschland können auch per Lastschrift bezahlen. Finanzierungsbeiträge werden erst bei erfolgreicher Finanzierung nach Ablauf einer Zwei-Wochen Frist abgebucht.
Besteht ein Risiko, wenn das Projektziel nicht erreicht wird?: Nein- Nach Projektende wird der Betrag nur dann eingezogen, wenn das Projektziel erreicht wurde.
- Do Magnic Microlights fit to my bike?
Yes- if you have "Standard" rim brakes (Caliper, Vbrake, Cantilver brakes). Even for disc brake systems we have a clamp adapter solution- but this is just for light and does not provide brake light and turn signal functionality.
- Do Magnic Microlights work with Carbon rims?
No- we need a metal rim. Aluminum is best. Magnesium works, too.
- I want to have a different combination of lights than offered in the rewards (for example 3 Basic Sets). Is this possible?
Yes- We have added a "Custom Set" reward. Choose any combination of rewards (except the 1€ reward) and add the prices. Enter this amount + shipping cost and you will receive the desired combination. After project termination you will receive a survey where you can specify yoour desired combination.
- Do I have to exchange brake pads often?
No- "Normal" cyclists exchange their bicycles more frequently than the brake pads because these usually last for more than 5000 kilometers. Hardcore bikers have to exchange the brake pads from time to time.
- Is it possible to program the lights via Smartphone?
Yes- It might be necessary to "tell" the lights that the rear brake is controlled be the brake lever on the left side (and not on the right side as usual) and vice versa. You can override the standard setting and reconfigure your light via Smartphone Bluetooth connection.
Risks and challenges
With two successful Magnic Light Crowdfunding campaigns we have proven that our technology works as promised and that we are able to handle production and shipment. In the meantime we have received several awards worldwide patent grants for the Magnic Light technology. For the Magnic Microlights we are faced with new challenges:
Mass production in much higher quantities than handled by us before + Cooperation with more co-workers for tasks we did ourselves in the past
We have analyzed production steps and risks carefully and don't want to promise more than we can deliver. This means that we can't promise to deliver before next summer. For the Smart version we have to extend our current software which can be done in a few weeks but we can't send out without intensively testing the new features. This means that delivery of the Smart has to wait until late autumn.
In the past we have seen that small mistakes can cause big problems and delays. We are strongly dependent on our suppliers and even if we have managed to find good partners with reliable high quality production we can't exclude mistakes in the production chain completely. These can cost a lot of time and money and therefor the production will be increased step by step to minimize these risks.
In the project plan we have taken into account delays due to initial mistakes but it is clear that this is an estimation based on our previous experiences. We will communicate all production steps via Kickstarter updates in detail.
Due to setup-work the shipment of the Malawi-Editions will take at least 3 months longer than shipment of the standard versions.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (50 days)