About this project
We’re back, Kickstarter, this time to make cycling simpler for children. With two young kids myself, I recently took a step back to assess the children’s bicycle market and realized that there has been very little innovation for decades. With the exception of the balance bicycle there are very few products that actively make pedaling and riding a bicycle easier for kids, and outdoor riding time easier for families. There was no bike with new innovations that made it easier for both parents and kids. We decided to change that.
Introducing the Priority Start. The most simple to ride, simple to maintain, simple to adjust children’s bicycle available.
To deliver on our promise of high quality, great design, and simplicity, the Priority Start features innovations that are great for kids and parents.
- Chain-Free – Like our original line of Priority Bicycles, the Priority Start features a grease-free belt drive instead of a chain. Why? Two reasons. First, belt drives are more durable, quieter, and less susceptible to weather than chains. Secondly, they provide grease-free alternative to parents and children who often find themselves with messy hands and clothes after riding. I don’t know about you, but the shiny chain on bikes is like a magnet for my son and his clothes.
- Rust-Free, Lightweight Aluminum Frame – Many children’s bicycles are built from steel, which means they’re heavy and in certain environments can rust out quickly. Being that so many children’s bicycles become hand-me-downs for generations, we saw this as a problem. Our aluminum frame means no rust and it’s easy for parents to carry. We want this bike to last generations for your family!
- Easy Go Tires – The importance of properly filled tires is often overlooked when learning to ride a bicycle. Our Easy Go tires are air-free so they never go flat. They are equipped with shock absorbing air holes to help absorb road bumps. These aren’t the hard-as-a-rock plastic tires you grew up learning on.
- Priority Start System – Training wheels have been overly complicated, difficult to maintain, and challenging to adjust. Until now. The Priority Start System features a simple 3-2-1 adjustment set-up:
- Level three offers the most riding support with the training wheels just off the ground.
- Level two raises the wheels slightly higher to teach introductory balance
- Level one raises the wheels even higher to allow the child to balance freely with backup safety in case they lose balance.
- Unlike other training wheels, this system requires no tools to adjust. A simple hand knob allows for adjustments to different wheel levels, and to affix and remove the training wheels completely with your hands - great for learning at the park.
Plus, true to our Priority Bicycles values, the bikes are comfortable and come together in minutes.
- Comfy Saddle with Parent-Friendly Handle – Learning to ride isn’t enjoyable if your child isn't comfortable. The Priority Start’s seat is well cushioned to offer an enjoyable ride. It also has a parent-friendly handle that makes it easier to guide your child while riding and also to carry the bike.
- Easy Assembly – We have worked tirelessly to make sure the Priority Start is not only easy to ride, but easy to assemble. You will be able to put the bicycle together with a simple 15-minute assembly process that requires no previous technical bicycle knowledge.
- Classic Design - We believe that great design is born from essential function so the Priority Start not only makes riding and maintaining the bicycle more simple, but it is designed in an iconic, timeless, modern classic style.
You can share this project on social media by simply clicking the icon below:
Why are we back asking for Kickstarter’s support again?
We are a small, independent team, focused on creating innovation and great value for our customers. Many previous Kickstarter backers were even surprised to get emails and phone calls back from me at all hours. We have been pouring all of our time, effort, and resources put into making the Priority Start the best possible bicycle it can be. We now need to raise funds for the expensive molds and tooling necessary to bring it to mass production at great prices and the highest quality.
We’ve spent endless hours perfecting the design and engineering of the Priority Start. We’re extremely happy with the result, and truly feel the bicycle is bringing much needed innovation to the children’s bicycle market.
Backing our projects helps support our vision of making cycling simple. Our reward tiers range from a water bottle all the way though to a full set of new Priority Bicycles for the family, with each tier offering significant discounts for believing in us. If you are looking to give as a gift, or are unsure of size, we have a "Decide Later" tier that gives you the flexibility to decide, while still being one of the first to ride.
We pride ourselves on exceptional quality and impeccable customer service. We have been featured in Popular Science, GQ, NPR, Gizmodo, Buzz Feed, Inc., and Men’s Journal, among many others. We are proud that our original Priority Bicycle has established us as a trusted source for beautifully designed, smartly engineered, affordable bicycles.
- "By custom-fiting a rustproof lightweight aluminum frame with extremely reliable parts, he created what he'd always dreamt of-a maintenance-free bike." - POPULAR SCIENCE
- "...people were shocked earlier this year when Weiner quit the gig at age 34. But this is what happens when you have a childhood dream that just won't die... Weiner set his beloved Schwinn aside and designed a brand new bike--a maintenance-free model with nearly impenetrable tires--hoping it would appeal to the casual rider. And it did..." - Inc. Magazine
- "I had this desire to bring my knowledge of supply-chain technology and bicycles together to build a simpler bicycle," Weiner says on APM's Marketplace with Kai Rysdall
- "We asked Weiner how they are managing to sell these that cheaply. He answer was basically that by selling directly to consumers, they're able to cut out the middleman and avoid some serious mark-ups. Dave has been in the bike industry for decades...and in that time he managed to build up a considerable list of supply-chain contacts, which helps too." - Gizmodo
- "My new bike from Priority Bicycles is the best bike I've ever owned, and I've had quite a few...its goal was to revolutionize casual, urban cycling. Priority has accomplished this by simplifying its product" - OnMilwaukee.com
We have included real reviews of our other bicycles below, and you can click to see more on our Facebook page here.
If you have any questions regarding the Priority Start, please don’t hesitate to contact us and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
We have samples of the Priority Start at our NYC pop-up at 246 Mott Street (@ Prince) in SoHo (with This Is Ground) through Sunday May 31st. In June, you can reach out and email us anytime to set up an appointment to come by our TriBeCa office. Say hi and check them out!
Our Priority Start is ideal for children 2 - 8 years old and comes in two frame styles, each in two colors.
Last time, we delivered to all of our backers before or on-time our promised date, and we have every intention to do so again. We have spent months in development and testing, as well as securing all the necessary partners. We just need your help to bring it to life.
Risks and challenges
Our Priority Bicycles launch a year ago delivered our Priority Classic to all of our backers on time or before the stated delivery date. It is our goal to do the same this time.
We have spent countless hours developing our prototypes and testing with young riders and parents. Our manufacturing relationship is in place to start once we have the funding to move forward. Throughout the process we will provide timely and clear updates and will be available to answer any of your questions directly.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (28 days)