First some quick links for ongoing reference, including some more videos to get you started:
- PLEDGE LEVEL GRAPHICS
- ENCOUNTER GRAPHICS
- ALL ADD-ON SETS
- STRETCH GOAL MAP
- SOCIAL STRETCH GOALS
- HELLSCAPE PRICING SPREADSHEET
- PHOTO GALLERY
- HELLSCAPE COMPATIBILITY PHOTOS WITH OTHER DF TERRAIN
- ENCOUNTER 1 WALKTHROUGH VIDEO
- ENCOUNTER 2 WALKTHROUGH VIDEO
- ENCOUNTER 3 WALKTHROUGH VIDEO
- KNIGHTESS JENNEY OC'S HELLSCAPE FAQ
Welcome to Hellscape: a brief, feature-packed and focused campaign to create the new, infernal-themed terrain you'll see below -- and set your games on fire!
To old friends and to newcomers, we've come a long way together since our first Kickstarter campaign, Game Tiles, in 2013. Since then, right here on Kickstarter, you’ve made an otherwise unimaginable variety of gaming terrain possible. Thank you!
All gamers know that there's one theme that's a key part of any great adventure: danger.
So we're proud to introduce our most deadly setting ever: Hellscape! Only the most intrepid (or the most foolhardy?) will venture into this lethal underworld... where peril permeates the entire plane, and manifests as fire that consumes the very ground beneath your feet. Here, the threat is relentless -- and your only imaginable victory is survival.
Hellscape brings you detailed, modular terrain so real, so visceral and dramatic, you can feel the blazing magma on your tabletop. Enter if you dare...
Hellscape has been painstakingly sculpted by hand-- every rippling lava pool, each jagged rock spire, every infernal rune -- by our team here at Dwarven Forge. Many of the pieces have a 4"x"4" footprint, so modular building is fast and covers a lot of ground. Months of refinement have produced what we think is our finest painting to date, including specific areas with translucent paint.
Everything is cast in Dwarvenite®, our proprietary casting material that combines great heft, tactile feel and amazing durability. For Hellscape, we've developed a translucent, yellow-tinted formulation for most of the lava pieces that allows light to penetrate in just the right places. About half our Hellscape pieces are completely new; the rest are updated translucent, lava-painted pieces adapted from Caverns Deep. You can see the entire catalogue of pieces here. We've done our very best to make Hellscape come alive!
Hellscape pieces include standard anchor magnets wherever practical so they will stick to our terrain trays, making them easy to move and carry without disturbing your setups.
One essential feature of all Dwarven Forge terrain is modularity. Hellscape is no exception. You can build the Encounters we’ve pictured -- or you can build something completely new, every time. You can also combine your Hellscape pieces with any of our other terrain for unlimited versatility.
With this Kickstarter, we're also introducing some brand new technology:
DF Light Panels: Our goal was to illuminate entire builds at once, without hotspots, embedded connections or batteries. Place your Hellscape terrain atop these thin, 8"x8" Light Panels and illuminate your setup (in the right places) in an instant. You can use just one, or connect them together in a "daisy chain" (up to approximately 9 panels with a single transformer). One look and you'll understand why translucent Dwarvenite is so perfectly suited to this terrain. DF Light Panels are included in specific "Illuminated" Pledges, and are also available as Add-on Sets.
Please note: Light panels will accept 110-240 input voltage, but will come standard with US style plugs. So you won't need to convert the voltage, but you need an adapter to plug into a non-US outlet. These are easy to find and inexpensive, but we will also try to offer them for the EU and Australia in the pledge manager for a nominal fee.
Phantasmal Filters: Bold graphics are printed onto these 8"x8" thin but sturdy filters. They look great (and appear opaque) on their own, and magical when placed atop DF Light Panels and light illuminates them from below (you can see the effect in the image below).
Hellscape consists of:
- Three Main Encounters: the Crucible Chamber, the larger Torrent of Torment and the giant Soulcage Vault. Each Encounter can be built as shown, or the pieces can be rearranged and combined with other Dwarven Forge sets in endless combinations. The only limit is your imagination!
- Add-on sets: A wide assortment of Add-on sets to customize your choices and enhance your collection. New Add-on Sets will be introduced steadily throughout this campaign.
- Painted and unpainted sets: All sets are available either fully hand painted or unpainted*. Unpainted pieces will mostly be cast in yellow-tinted, translucent Dwarvenite (the color shown below might change a little for production). Please note: painting Hellscape requires more time and a finer hand than the typical wash and drybrush required for normal dungeon or cavern pieces. While this complexity makes our painted prices a little more than usual, we recommend painted sets for those of you "on the fence" between unpainted and painted selections.
*Does not apply to Terrain Trays, Overlays, Phantasmal Filters, DF Light Panels and certain Pledge Levels.
If you'd like to back our campaign, our pledge options are outlined below and actual pledge levels run down the right-hand side of this page. They include:
- A Build Your Own option for those of you who want to select Encounters and Add-on Sets completely à la carte. If you choose sets that contain unlocked free stretch goals, they will be included automatically. We've photographed some recommended Build Your Own pledges at various price levels (starting at $98 unpainted) here. With this pledge, you'll confirm all your specific set selections using our pledge manager after the campaign is complete.
- Hellraiser. This starter option includes an assortment of Scatter Terrain. These are standalone pieces that aren't just for Hellscape, but go perfectly with battle mats, other types of terrain or even just decorations for your gameroom.
- First, Second and Third Circles of Hell. These pledge levels feature our Main Encounters, with bonus packs and free stretch goals as specified. The "Illuminated" versions of these pledges include DF Light Panels.
- All Hell Breaks Loose. Our ultimate top level pledge includes double the sets included in the Third Circle of Hell, additional bonus packs -- and two Kickstarter-exclusive, very special resin capstone pieces.
Here are some alternate builds of the pledge levels:
ENCOUNTER 3 ALTERNATE BUILD
First, check out the map below to get the lay of the land and a sense of scale. Detailed graphics showing our 3 Main Encounters, Crucible Chamber, Torrent of Torment and Soulcage Vault follow...
Encounter 3, continued...
As the funding level of this Kickstarter grows, our production run gets larger and more efficient. This enables us to add in both:
- Free stretch goal pieces that "unlock" (and are automatically added to your pledge) at specified funding milestones. Each free stretch goal fits into a specified set. If your pledge includes that set, you receive that stretch goal when it unlocks; if your pledge does not include that set, you do not receive that stretch goal.
- New add-on set options that we can afford to tool as our funding grows.
Stretch goal milestones are eligible to unlock until the Kickstarter ends on July 1st, at 9PM US Eastern time.
Our stretch goal map is shown below.
In addition to the Encounters, Hellscape includes a wide variety of Add-on Sets. Some Add-ons are actually subsets of the larger two encounters, while others are specific types of pieces that you might want to add to your collection.
Select Add-on Sets are shown below. Click here to see them all.
1) First, select a Main Pledge level. These are the pledges shown down the right-hand column of the page.
2) Once you select your Main Pledge, you can also include any other set(s) you see on this Kickstarter, as long as it has a price listed on our Google Sheet or our Pledge Calculator. These include anything from small add-on sets, to full Encounters -- or even another Main Pledge level. Take note of the total amount for everything you want.
3) To pledge, click on your Main Pledge selection. Then enter the total amount (including shipping/taxes) of your Main Pledge + any additional set(s) you want, and press "continue," then "pledge". You can modify your pledge as many times as you want until the campaign ends at 9PM US Eastern Time on July 1st. You don't get charged until the Kickstarter ends.
How do we know which sets you've chosen?
I. When the campaign is over, Kickstarter will charge you for your pledge. Kickstarter takes their commission, and then they send the remaining funds to us. They give us: your e-mail (the one you use with KS); your main pledge level; and your pledge total. It's then up to us to collect all remaining information. We do that with our online Pledge Manager.
II. About 4-6 weeks after the campaign closes, you will receive an e-mail invitation to this online Pledge Manager. It will be pre-loaded with your main pledge and your total pledge amount. You'll then enter your name and shipping details, and reconfirm your set choices from our online menu, which will be a much enhanced version of the pledge calculator. Once you're done, you can download a copy of your order, or even upgrade your selections (subject to availability). If you didn't include shipping/import fees with your pledge, the pledge manager will also collect them.
III. This will be our 7th Pledge Manager, so please don't worry -- this part is easy and fun. Any questions at that time, we are absolutely available to help!
While, with your help, we've run 6 successful Kickstarter campaigns, we remain a small business in a pretty narrow market. Kickstarter -- primarily through our amazing backers -- provides a platform that funds our tooling and allows us to produce relatively vast assortments of products that simply wouldn't be feasible if we were speculating which items -- and especially how many of each -- you wanted. In addition, Kickstarter helps us reach a lot of passionate gamers who have never heard of us.
We remain deeply committed to this platform and most importantly, to the backers who support us. That's why we continue to offer our Kickstarter backers:
- Kickstarter-exclusive prices that will never be as low again.
- Guaranteed availability of backers' set selections (which, although we try, is nearly impossible to offer on our website).
- Our guarantee that Kickstarter backers always receive their product before any Hellscape items are sold to any other party.
Shipping is not included in the pledge and set prices. You can see exactly how much your shipping will cost on our Hellscape Spreadsheet. (If you are including Add-on Sets, Kickstarter cannot provide you with shipping totals because it does not capture any shipping associated with add-on sets.)
Please include the shipping in your total pledge. If you choose not to include the shipping, our post-campaign Pledge Manager will collect your shipping charges.
Taxes Our Hellscape spreadsheet and pledge calculator will provide totals for import fees/taxes for shipments to the US, Europe, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Mainland China. Duties, taxes and fees for shipments to other countries are not included and will be collected by the courier upon delivery. In addition, sales tax for shipments to NY and Connecticut will be collected in the pledge manager.
We deeply appreciate the interest of backers from all over the world, and we apologize that we aren’t able to make any exceptions to these extra charges.
About half the pieces in Hellscape are already tooled, since they are translucent, repainted versions of Caverns Deep pieces. Therefore, we expect the tooling and production to be a bit faster than Caverns Deep, and we expect to commence initial shipments by April, 2020.
Please spread the word and join in the Comments section. Your input helps us make the campaign the best it can be. Interested in reading more? Visit Jenney OC's Answer Board, hosted on our forum and organized by subject.
Thank you all!
Risks and challenges
Risks and challenges
We have been in the terrain business since 1996, with a constant dedication to quality and service. We are very familiar with the technologies, skills and resources required to produce and deliver the rewards promised in this Kickstarter.
Delivery time is an estimate based on our best available information.
We intend as before to have all our product tested for safety and reliability. All the of products shown in the stills and video are resin prototypes. While our actual production should be even more refined, there might be some minor changes made to facilitate production.
We're all concerned about the looming threat of tariffs, and their effect on our costs. We simply can't (and won't) charge our backers for tariffs that don't (yet) exist. It's already hard enough to keep prices as low as possible when factory production costs are steadily rising -- and when we're always striving to design ever nicer products.
So the cost of possible tariffs is not included in Hellscape pricing. If tariffs are imposed before the project is fulfilled, Dwarven Forge will pay them; we will not pass this cost onto backers. After that, we'll have no choice but to pass along tariff costs when the sets hit our website, and price them into future campaigns. But please everyone: let's think positive and hope for the best!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (15 days)