Hello everyone, I am Matteo Donzelli owner of Durgin Paint Forge. After more than 10 years of professional painting, I decided to start producing amazing sculptures for collectors and gamers with my battle companions. I started this journey two years ago, gathering experience as a producer in one of the most difficult and fascinating trade. Our first sculptures gained a small niche of fans, and this promising start prompted me to make something more ambitious and...monstrous!
A heavyweight monster!
This project was made possible thanks to two friends of mine, both of whom are very talented and successful sculptors and honestly without them, anything you are seeing (or will see) would never have been possible and would have continued to float around my head in that empty space between my mind and reality. They are Carmine “Thor” Giuliano and Valerio “Yro” Terranova ( he sculpts also for Wyrd's Malifaux). Together, we planned to make something iconic and enormous: a huge Dragon ridden by an Elven Lord! I don’t believe there is another subject able to instantly catalyze the interest of every person with good values and morality like a gigantic, majestic, glorious winged Dragon. At the beginning of the concept design, we set the cornerstone of this project:
- The Dragon must be a real monster. Not a tiny lizard with wings.
- Make the sculpture in 28mm scale, for wargamers sake.
- Keep the price under 150€
The first two purposes were easy to achieve: both Carmine and Valerio gave all their best in the sculpt, as you can see. For the price...well, I can honestly say that we did a miracle: 100€ for the single Dragon, 125€ for the Complete Kit. That's really our best, for a so huge multi-parts model.
This crowdfunding is made to produce two model kits: a Dragon kit, and an Elven Lord kit (both compatible).
- The Dragon is pretty huge: his height from base to saddle is 18cm, from base to top of the wing is 41cm. We make the Dragon in order to be assembled in ridden version or without saddle: for this reason, Carmine sculpted two different necks: one prepared for the saddle, and one in all his scaly glory!
- The Elven Lord kit is made not only to give the Dragon an amazing rider, but also to produce an interesting single character available for wargamers and collectors. If you don't want to buy a gigantic monster, but you need a general for your army, you can just grab the 18€ pledge for a dismounted Elven Lord. This kit is made with optionals bits for head and weapons, so you can make two different version of this character, and save the remaining bits for other purposes! Take a look to the digital sculpt of this fierce warrior!
What will I find in my kit?
We decided to produce the Dragon in 3 different kits, in order to meet the various needs:
- Elven Lord Kit (18€): this kit contains 1 body, 1 version of legs (for dismounted version), 2 heads, 2 left hands, 2 right hands, 1 cloack.
- Dragon Kit -basic- (100€): this kit contains all the necessary components to assemble our Dragon and a "You Are Awesome Card"*. This kit doesn't contain the alternative neck for ridden version, nor the scenic base.
- Dragon Kit -complete- (125€): this kit contains all the components to assemble our Dragon+ alternative neck for ridden version+all the components of the Elven Lord Kit+ knight upgrade bits (1 version of legs for mounted version and 1 saddle)+ scenic base+ a "You Are Awesome Card"*.
*The "You Are Awesome Card" is our special gift to those who will help us to grow stronger. This card will grant all the possessor exclusive preview about our future projects, special pre-orders of limited edition sculptures and even special sales. These benefits will last forever, or at least untile we shall exist!
- Carmine "THOR" Giugliano is a successful sculptor, which claimed exclusive partnerships with legendary artists, like Paul Bonner. It's the only fantasy sculptor that managed to be published on the iconic art journal "Spectrum". He sculpted our Dragon.
- Valerio "Yro" Terranova is the sculptor behind all Durgin Paint Forge's miniatures. He also works as freelancer sculptor for Wyrd's range "Malifaux". Valerio sculpted the Elven Lord Kit.
- Matteo "Durgin" Donzelli is the mind behind Durgin Paint Forge. I worked as professional painter for 10 years, winning several prizes at the italian Golden Demon (1 Gold, 1 Silver, 1 Bronze and a Forgeworld Best of Show).
Kickstarter gives us the opportunity to absorb the production costs and, mostly, reach a much wider audience, that is vital for a newborn reality as we are. Our first goal is to bring our skills around the world, cause we spent years perfecting all the production iter and we want to grow as producers and, above all, artists. For this reason we dedicated for months in this ambitious project, to overcome our limits and amaze all of you. Kickstarter, available in Italy from a few months, is for us providential and we hope to make a fantastic debut for a long-term production!
The Crowdfunder's guide to the Galaxy
Managing within Kickstarter could be difficult, so here are some advices for having a pleasant experience.
"On backing a project, and surviving the shipping costs"
- Backing a project is very simple: just click the gigantic green button "Back this project".
- After clicking, you will be directed to the page with all the pledges available. Just choice your favorite pledge by clicking on it. Once done, it will appear a bar with the pledge's price.
- select your shipping destination, click to "continue" and..it's done!
We will be charging shipping after the campaign ends, which will be managed through the Pledge Manager.
Here is a list of rough estimates for shipping a Dragon-Kit (1kg approximately) and an Elven Lord kit (50gr approximately). Please acknowledge that these are just estimates and that we’ll do our best to get you the best shipping deal possible.
DRAGON (basic kit and complete kit):
- To Italy: 10€
- To CEE: 20€
- Rest of the World: 30€
- To Italy: 6€
- To CEE: 8€
- Rest of the World: 10€
If you need support, feel free to contact us through the kickstarter' comment area of this project, or sending us a mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We want to focus ourselves mostly on the Dragon's production, so, instead of giving you risky promises that could hinder the success of the project, we prefer to work on few little elements made to enhance the real star of this crowdfunding: the Dragon itself!
- If we raise 3500€ or more all the backers* will receive the Elven Lord Tutorial. This tutorial will show you how to paint your Elven Lord. UNLOCKED!
- If we raise 6000€ or more all the backers** will receive the Elven Lord Upgrade Kit. This kit will contain optional bits for the Elven Lord, such as alternative head, weapon and shield. UNLOCKED
- If we raise 8000€ or more all the backers* will receive the Dragon Tutorial. This tutorial will show you how to paint your scaly monster.
- If we raise 10000€ or more all the backers** will receive the Dragon Upgrade Kit. This kit will contain optional horns and bits for basing your monster (or Elven Lord).
*This stretch goal include all the backers, even those who backed the "2€ or more pledge".
**This stretch goal doesn't apply to the "2€ or more pledge" backers.
What shall we do with the money raised?
This Kickstarter is born to grow as producers and gain a wider audience. The money raised, if we manage to achieve our goals, will be invested to make other sculptures and to improve our equipment. We strongly believe in our potentials, and we consider you potential backers as our greater ally to reach a new level.
We want to keep on sculpting our little resin-powered world!
Risks and challenges
Producing such a big sculpture is always a risk, cause all the workflow is strictly handicraft and it may happen to encounter small obstacles along the way. In order to avoid all the drawbacks we can imagine, we worked hard not only to complete the sculptures before the kickstarter starting, but also to plan in advance the most delicate processes, above all the moulding and casting phases.
1)We have already made a trial moulding of our dragon, to understand any critical points that could manifest during the real production.
2)During this last 2 years we tested our commercial partners who will deal the casting process and the 3d printing of the Elven Lord sculpture. We are able to ensure the top quality of our copies.
3) We fixed, for the delivery time, a sufficiently comfortable date, in order to keep focused on quality: in resin production, haste and quality don't match at all.
This reassures us on the success about the production of this project, but we want to be 150% honest with you, pointing out that, for us, the most important thing is to produce perfect products. For this reason, it may happen that we will need some additional time for (in example) re-doing copies with moulding defects: we moved to avoid as far as possible this possibility, but as I told you, moulding and casting resin miniatures is a highly handicraft process, so something unexpected may could happen.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)