www.danielseabra.net/prodGen - live examples + prototypes of the project.
If you'd rather watch a video of me talking about these things rather than reading, please feel free to click on this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch...
I explain everything, from what it is, to why you should pay, to what rewards you'll get.
To make it simple for you, I've divided the description into three easy sections. These sections can also be seen in the video. First of all though, head to www.danielseabra.net/prodGen to see a small section of the program in action. Then if you'd think it's something you'd be interested in, go for it!
What is this project?
This project is a procedural world generator. What does that mean? Basically it creates a random world based on several different algorithms. The point, however, is not to just create a world. I'd like to include all these things in my worlds, and I'd gladly take suggestions for more:
- Biomes: Deserts, forests, tundra
- Natural Things: Rivers, lakes, mountain ranges
- Artificial/Man-Made: Cities, villages, roads, interstates, bridges, farms
As I said, if you got an excellent idea, please do tell me :)
What this project is not is an AI generator: In order words, it is a macro world generator, it will not supply human or animal positions and you won't be able to see cars or trains moving etc.
How is this project going to be made?
I plan to stick to four rules while making this project:
- 1. Only programmed in Java. Java is a good language. It is efficient and clear to program in. Java is also cross-platform. That means Windows, Mac, and Linux users will all be able to use this project. Additionally, it creates the option to go to rule 2...
- 2. Only applets! I want it to run on a browser so that it is available to everyone every time! I don't want people having to download it.
- 3. No objects! The only object will be the driver. The rest will be processed through a 2D array. This reduces generation time significantly and will make the project available for people with slow computers as well.
- Release all source! The project is completely open source. I want people to learn from this, not just throw money at it and stare at a nice pretty world generating on-screen.
These rules should keep processing time at a reasonable level (hopefully 2-5 secs, I'm shooting for no more than 10 seconds).
I am going on a German trip this March. This trip will be very informative and will help me learn more German. However, it also costs $2600.00. My parents are willing to pay $1000.00 for it. That means I have to come up with the rest.
I don't mind working, but programming is much better. Anyway, if I don't get the money for this project here, then I'll be working over the summer - my only free time from school. This means that I won't be working on this project, because I won't have time. So basically most of your money ($800.00 of the $900.00) will go to pay me so that I can actually work on this.
What happens if I don't get the money? I might still do this project, especially if I see interest in it, but it'll go a lot slower - instead of releasing mid-July like expected, it'll probably release in 2 or 3 years.
What happens to the other $100? This money will go to pay for hosting the entire project (I want paid hosting so I can have a decent amount of bandwidth for everyone who is interested) and buying a domain for two or three years.
Essentially - in a very simplified format - you are paying for this so that it's free. And let's face it - something like this MUST be free and open source.
Rewards summary: $8.00 - You will get every single journal. They explain how each algorithm works, how I came up with it, include relevant links, and explain the code. This will be exclusive to you for one year - after that, I plan to release the Journals publically.
$40.00 - You will get a CD with everything ever made for the project, including land generators that make funky results and were never used in the final project, as well as the journals and a personal thank you from me, handwritten and signed.
$55.00 - The above plus a T-Shirt (US ONLY!).
$60.00 - All the above plus an extra file on the CD which includes all the games I've ever made up to the release of the project, even those not currently online.
$75.00 - Everything above plus a promise from me to give you any 3 of my future games for free - regardless of their cost. I will remind you by email to choose, and I will keep this promise.
I can send .zip files for those who don't have a CD Player, no problem.