The Dryad Dice Chambers & Dryad Essentials Chambers are two sizes of handmade boxes designed to durably and beautifully store, protect, and transport your most prized tabletop supplies. Inside of each friction-lidded box is precision laser-cut foam that holds your supplies perfectly in place. The lid of each Chamber is intended to not only keep your goods in place, but it can also be flipped over during your game to serve as a dice rolling tray. The lids are lined with your choice of black leather or cork.
If you're a fan of Dungeons & Dragons, Pathfinder, or any other tabletop game, you know how important your supplies are. You also know that sometimes, a drawstring bag or old food storage box just wont cut it. Your dice (or minis, pencils, etc) are precious, and you need to take precious care of them. That where the Dryad Chambers come in.
The Dryad Chambers are:
- Designed to be durable, without compromising style
- Handmade by one person, to ensure a consistently high standard
- Built with traditional techniques, just like boxes of old (with a little help from my friend, electricity)
The Dryad Chambers are NOT:
- Dyed, stained, or otherwise mis-colored (the wood really is that beautiful!)
- Mass-produced, or built in a way that would overlook fine details and quality
- Made from cheap materials. I use the highest quality exotic and domestic hardwoods that are sustainably available
How to pledge
If you don't need to hear any more, here's how to pledge:
First, decide which type of Chamber you would like (if you want both, don't worry! I'll get to that!). The Dice Chamber is the smaller box, perfect for one set of dice, or two minis. The Essential Chamber is the larger box, with 10 different foam insert options.
Second, decide which type of wood you would like. They are broken up into three categories (and prices); the Naiad Series, the Auloniad Series, and the Oread Series. You can learn more about those below.
Next, decide on any add-ons you would like, such as art engraving, or extra foam inserts, or even an extra Chamber!.
Finally, select the appropriate pledge tier, and enter the total amount (for Chambers plus add ons).
Example time! Let's say you want a Purpleheart Essential Chamber ($70), a dragon engraved on it ($15), and a Walnut Dice Chamber ($30). You simply select the Auloniad Series Essential Chamber reward tier, and pledge for the total amount ($115+shipping).
You'll make most of the decisions regarding wood type, which engraving, etc. after the campaign is over. I will send you a survey.
If you have any trouble at all, feel free to contact me!
Each Dryad Chamber is available in fourteen domestic and exotic hardwoods.
Cherry is a classic American hardwood, known for its beautiful grain and deep reddish brown color. George Washington and furniture designers alike love Cherry. The splines and interior are Walnut.
White Oak is the gold standard of American Hardwoods. The great USS Constitution owes her strength to this classic lumber. White Oak is perhaps the most widely used and identifiable hardwood in the world. The splines and interior are Walnut.
Walnut is one of the most unique and prized American hardwoods. Its deep chocolate brown hues have made it a favorite for furniture, instruments, and even premium gun stocks in the old wild west. The splines and interior are Maple.
Maple is one of the most versatile American hardwoods. From baseball bats to bowling alleys to butcher blocks, Maple is seen all over. It it recognizable for its pure to cream white color. The splines and interior are Walnut.
Ambrosia Maple isn't actually a different species than Maple. The distinctive stripes come from the ambrosia beetle, which bores holes into the maple tree, which then grows a fungus. But don't worry, all nasty stuff is gone by the time it's in your hands. The splines and interior are Walnut.
Tigerwood, also called Goncalo Alves, has a distinct orange color with thick dark streaks throughout, hence the name. It is known by woodworkers for its incredible strength and sturdiness. It is also popular in specialty items such as pool cues and archery bows. The splines and interior are Maple.
Purpleheart is a favorite of Dryad customers, and for good reason! One of the most unique exotic hardwoods in the world, Purpleheart's name comes from its distinct eggplant color. The purple will darken over time to a beautifully deep brownish purple. It's a truly amazing wood to behold. The splines and interior are Maple.
Yellowheart, like its purple friend, get its name from an obvious place. However, in my opinion, it should be called "Goldenheart" because this wood almost glows when you hold it in your hands! Not only is Yellowheart absolutely beautiful and unique in its vibrance, but it is also the newest wood to the Dryad lineup! The splines and interior are Walnut.
Zebrawood is a beautiful African wood, and like the rest of the Auloniad woods, it is obvious where it gets its name! Zebrawood, truthfully, is difficult to work with because of its unique interlocking grain pattern, but it is totally worth it! Zebrawood is a staple in the premium wood product world and is used in everything from cigar boxes to water skis. The splines and interior is Maple.
Padauk, another African wood, it identified by its dramatic dark red and orange coloring. Padauk is wonderful to work with and an extremely stable wood. High-end tool handles and instruments are often made of Padauk. The splines and interior are Maple.
Leopardwood, sometimes confused with Lacewood (but not the same species!) is a dense, beautiful, eye-catching wood. With Leopard spots (actually called "flecks) throughout, Leopardwood is hard to miss. Leopardwood is a personal favorite of mine! The splines and interior are Maple.
Bocote is, by far, the heaviest, densest, and dramatic wood species in the Dryad lineup! Bocote is a Central American hardwood with distinct yellow and dark-brown streaks and waves throughout. Every piece of Bocote is absolutely unique. This wood, while difficult to work with, can produce the most amazing results. The splines and interior are Maple.
Canarywood, native to South America, is the great mystery wood of the Dryad lineup. Its color varies from yellow to gold to orange to brown to purple, and probably a few other colors we haven't named yet. One thing's for sure; Canarywood is always beautiful. Like Yellowheart, it almost glows when you look at it. The splines and interior are Walnut.
Wenge is the darkest wood in the Dryad lineup, by far. Prized and notable for its extremely fine dark brown and black stripes, Wenge is a favorite among fine woodworkers. Wenge is impressively stable and sturdy, and is also another favorite of mine. The splines and interior are Maple.
Each Dice Chamber & Essential Chamber comes with a laser-cut foam insert to house your precious tabletop supplies. The foam is made up of two layers. The top layer is soft and pliable half-inch open-cell foam. Don't let the squishyness deceive you, though. This foam is very strong and difficult to rip. The bottom layer is a thin EVA foam, which adds a tremendous amount of strength and a nice surface for your supplies to rest on.
The foam inserts are not attached to the wood in any way (other than friction), so it's no problem to remove or replace them. Again, each chamber comes with one foam insert, but additional inserts are available as add-ons!
Dice Chamber Foam Options:
While the Dice Chamber was designed for one set of polyhedral dice, a mini variant is available!
Essential Chamber Foam Options:
The Essential Chamber is really where the versatility of laser-cut foam shines the brightest. With 10 options, there's a solution for all kinds of tabletop gamers, whether you want a variety of supplies with you, or you're just all about the dice.
Here's a breakdown of all the Essential Chamber foam options:
- Mini Lover's holds six standard sized minis.
- Two Face holds two standard minis and 18 dice, or two and a half sets of seven.
- Supreme, No Minis holds a pencil or two (depending on size) and 20 dice, or two sets of seven with six extra.
- Dice Lover's holds a whopping 32 dice, or four and a half sets of seven.
- Mainly Minis holds four standard sized minis and 9 dice.
- Four Compartments is for the player who values versatility. Each compartment is a little over two inches square.
- Just In Case holds two minis (in case the DM kills your first character) and 23 dice, or 3 sets of seven, with two extras.
- Supreme holds two standard minis, a pencil or two, and 18 dice, or two and a half sets of seven.
- Half & Half holds three standard minis, and 14 dice, or exactly two sets of seven.
- Two Compartments is for the player who values versatility a little more than a four compartment player.
One of the most exciting parts of this project is the artwork that can be engraved on the top of any Chamber as an add-on. While the fourteen available hardwoods are beautiful in their natural form, you may want to upgrade your Chamber from a lovely box to a piece of art.
Considering that I'm more skillful with saw than a pen, I worked with two amazing artist to bring this idea to reality.
The series of monsters is by the amazing Chad Maupin of Big Bot Design. He also designed my Dryad logo and just might be the best illustrator out there. Check out his website here.
The series of maps is by the incredibly talented Shing Cartography, who specializes in fantasy style maps. She does them all by hand with pen and paper & they're gorgeous. Check out her Instagram here and her Patreon here.
- $1: A thumbs up: I found a few more in my backpack, and I'm happy to spread the love. Thank you for your support!
- $5: Choice of Dryad logo Sticker: Show your Dryad Gaming love! All the logos were designed by Big Bot Chad! (see options in the Add-ons section!)
- $15: Dryad Mystery Bag: All kinds of Dryad goodness are in this mystery reward. You'll receive AT LEAST two random Dryad logo stickers, a wooden Dryad logo magnet (made out of a random hardwood), a Dryad logo pin, and a mystery goodie or two. The mystery bag is worth $20 BEFORE the mystery goodies.
- $30: Naiad Series Dice Chamber: One Dice Chamber made from Walnut, Cherry, White Oak, Maple, or Ambrosia Maple. Includes a foam insert. Earlybird shipping available to a limited number of backers!
- $40: Auloniad Series Dice Chamber: One Dice Chamber made from Zebrawood, Tigerwood, Purpleheart, Padauk, or Yellowheart. Includes a foam insert. Earlybird shipping available to a limited number of backers!
- $50: Oread Series Dice Chamber: One Dice Chamber made from Leopardwood, Bocote, Canarywood, or Wenge. Includes a foam insert. Earlybird Shipping available to a limited number of backers!
- $60: Naiad Series Essential Chamber: One Essential Chamber made from Walnut, Cherry, White Oak, Maple, or Ambrosia Maple. Includes a foam insert. Earlybird shipping available to a limited number of backers!
- $70: Auloniad Series Essential Chamber: One Essential Chamber made from Zebrawood, Tigerwood, Purpleheart, Padauk, or Yellowheart. Includes a foam insert. Earlybird shipping available to a limited number of backer!
- $80: Oread Series Essential Chamber: One Essential Chamber made from Leopardwood, Bocote, Canarywood, or Wenge. Earlybird shipping available to a limited number of backers!
- $5: Choice of Dryad Gaming logo sticker
- $15: Dryad Mystery Bag: All kinds of Dryad goodness are in this mystery add-on. You'll receive AT LEAST two random Dryad logo stickers, a wooden Dryad logo magnet (made out of a random hardwood), a Dryad logo pin, and a mystery goodie or two. The mystery bag is worth $20 BEFORE the mystery goodies.
- $10: Engrave any of the wonderful pieces of art onto your Dice Chamber
- $15: Engrave any of the wonderful pieces of art onto your Essential Chamber
Additional Foam Inserts
- $3: Choice of additional Dice Chamber foam insert
- $5: Choice of additional Essential Chamber foam insert
- $40: All 10 Essential Chamber foam inserts
- $7: Leather Strap for a Dice Chamber
- $10: Leather Strap for an Essential Chamber
- $30: A hand turned pencil in any Naiad Series Wood
- $35: A hand turned pencil in any Aulonaid Series Wood
- $40: A hand turned pencil in any Oread Series Wood
- There is NO additional shipping cost for pencils!
- Scroll down for a picture!
My name's Ty. I like making stuff & playing games and that's why I started Dryad Gaming Co. I'm only 25, but I've been making my living through woodworking for several years now. I love the mystery of wood; you never really know how a chunk of tree will turn out when you cut, sand, and finish it. I also love creating things that are both useful and beautiful. I also love tabletop games. Other loves include: wife, pies, the turbulent relationship between dogs and cats, and the privilege of having this amazing job.
I started Dryad because I wanted to make things that were more interesting to me. Before Dryad, I just did "general" woodworking such as cutting boards, furniture, beer flights, etc. But I wanted to create more unique and niche items. Since I've always loved gaming, I decided to try my hand at making a dice tower. After many, many iterations, I settled on a design that would turn into my first Kickstarter.
Risks and challenges
This is a low risk project. This is my second Kickstarter. While my first one was certainly a success, there were more than enough speed bumps to teach me what works and what doesn't. Additionally, I have everything I absolutely need to make these Chambers; there's no way rewards won't go out, if this campaign is successful. The success of this campaign will take me from "being able to make the chambers" to "being able to make the chambers quickly and efficiently."
The primary challenge is the shipping goal. I'm a one-man shop, so if this Kickstarter really blows up, some folks might get their rewards after the estimated shipping date. However, I will do everything I can to not let that happen.
I am also always happy to answer any questions, comments, or concerns.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)