Player Driven RPG "Unwritten: Echoes of Twilight"
Player Driven RPG "Unwritten: Echoes of Twilight"
An open world, player driven, fantasy RPG where player choice determines the direction, flow, and outcome of an ever evolving story
An open world, player driven, fantasy RPG where player choice determines the direction, flow, and outcome of an ever evolving story Read more
About this project
Without proper funding, it’s just not possible for us to begin full development on Echoes of Twilight, let alone complete it. Currently, production has stalled as our Havok keys expired at the end of our free trial; we need a minimum of $15,000 just to license our engine and resume our work. We will continue to create assets for Echoes of Twilight, until we are able to raise enough of a project budget to get the engine unlocked again. However, we are unwilling to compromise our vision due to lack of funding. We would rather wait, raise the money needed, and make the game we envisioned, than hack it to pieces to get some mutilated form of the game made for less. It means waiting a little longer for Echoes of Twilight, but having a game that’s worth the wait.
We will continue to post updates regarding progress on assets for Echoes as well as funding news in our Developer Blog
AKA, Plan B. Rather than sitting idle Druid Gameworks will now begin developing a short prelude title in the Unwritten series for Android, iOS, and Windows PC, tentatively called Project Dreamtime. Mobile development is free with Havok’s Project Anarchy tool set, and exporters for Windows PC will run us about $5,000 which is a sum we can feasibly raise quickly. This small project will be about the size of Bethesda’s Dragonborn DLC, and should retail for about $3.99-4.99.
Our hope is that Dreamtime will help us get our names out there, give players an idea of the game play they can expect, and also help raise funding for Echoes of Twilight while increasing our chances for a successful Kickstarter at some later date. It's our chance to give players the game play they desperately want to experience.
Project Dreamtime is a semi-linear RPG set in the world of Arthanswold, on the mountain isle of Duan Rhod. You will assume the role of a young Ursine warrior as he or she undertakes the Dreaming, a coming of age rite in which young Ursines enter the spirit world of their ancestors to discover their destinies. There's no telling what wonders or horrors you may encounter in the spirit world, take your courage with you.
Dreamtime will contain some of the same game play elements you will be able to expect in Echoes of Twilight such as combat, questing, crafting, ritual/inherent magicks, companions, etc.Players will also get a good taste of our style, and the lore/histories of the Unwritten universe. It will just be on a much smaller scale with much lower production costs.
We will be posting more about Dreamtime in the coming weeks! We're really excited to be starting development on this project and we hope you guys are looking forward to a chance to play as an Ursine and dig into our universe to see what it's all about in ways we could never describe.
Our time on Kickstarter has come to an end, but you can still support Druid Gameworks and all of our works in development by heading over to our home site www.druidgameworks.com and making a donation in our community donation tracker
We have opened a forum based guild, and put together some great rewards for those of you who wish to donate now to help us raise the $20,000 we need to license the Vision Engine for Echoes of Twilight for a year, and bring Dreamtime to Windows PC. Every little bit helps and we are grateful for your support; couldn't do it without you and we plan to make sure years from now, when we're AAA all stars. you folks are remembered as the ones who started us off.
Unlike Kickstarter where we have to meet our goal for you to get rewarded, a donation on our home site yields many rewards and most of them instantaneously!
Druid Origin Guild
For a donation of $5 or higher you get instant membership to the Druid Origin Guild! Through your guild membership you get special ranking on our forum, Guildsman Title, Access to the Guild Forum for Early Updates & Exclusive Content Reveals, Earn Forum Badges, Get Early Access to our Playable Demos, Get Added to Our Beta Pool for a Chance to Beta Test, and Entry in Exclusive Contests! The guild will be open to membership until our fundraising goal of $20,000 has been reached, then the doors close forever and you few who pledge now, will forever be the origin of Druid Gameworks, our founders.
Higher pledges unlock even more guild perks like custom titles of your design, voter passes to developer polls, and Live Development projects with the team!
If that wasn't enough, in addition to becoming a member of Druid Origin Guild your pledges can win you additional rewards, check out these tiers to see what you can pledge for!
How to Donate?
Click on any of the reward graphics above to be taken to our donation tracker. You may donate using PayPal, or any major Credit/Debit Cards. Please note, the funds will be withdrawn immediately. There are no cancellations or refunds once digital goods have been rewarded. It generally takes 24-48 hours max to receive your rewards, but turn around should be much faster. Digital Artbooks won't "ship" until January 1st, and T-Shirts take 2 weeks to process, print and ship. You will need to register to donate so we can reach you on the board to deliver your goods.
Unwritten: Echoes of Twilight is a single player, open world, role playing adventure game that focuses on immersion, interactivity, and customization. Unwritten: Echoes of Twilight is in development on Havok's AAA Vision Engine, for Windows PC, XBox Live, and Playstation Networks.
In a player driven adventure, you will explore the world in any direction you want your story to go! Unearth hidden locations, unique characters, and dynamic quests. Chronicle your adventure in your journal, taking real notes whenever something of interest crosses your path. Customize pets and companions, take ownership of shops, wield powerful ritual magicks, join factions to form friendships and romances, and uncover the shards of an ancient mystery that echoes from the past.
So what is a player driven adventure?
Think of it as a “choose your own adventure” video game. Most RPGs out there today would be considered story driven, where a main quest line is presented as the overall premise for the game play. Even when it’s possible to delay the main quest, it’s not usually possible to avoid it and still progress within the game. In the Unwritten series there is no main quest. Game play is player driven, meaning you create your own game experience as you play and develop your avatar’s story. As you explore our universe and make your choices you will lock and unlock different experience pathways with every play through.However, where there is choice, there will be consequence so choose wisely!
As we reveal more and more of our universe it's only natural to wonder "Just how big will this game be?" and "Are these guys nuts thinking they can make a game like this?"
As the introduction to the Unwritten series, Echoes of Twilight is planned to be much smaller than future Unwritten titles will be. This is primarily due to budget constraints and, being a small unproven studio, we wanted to give this game a very refined scope so we could perfect our techniques before attempting a title the size of an Elder Scrolls or Dragon Age type game. While the scope of the game is smaller than those AAA titles, players will still find plenty to satisfy their RPG cravings, Echoes of Twilight will introduce players to our Universe and will have most, if not all, of the basic mechanics of future Unwritten titles. The more budget we raise the more game we can make!
Behind every great game is a great engine and for Echoes of Twilight, it's Havok's Vision Engine. Highly modular, adaptable, well documented, fair licensing terms, built in support, and a whole line of AAA products to expand our project's potential! We were hooked and it's true, in Havok we trust. If you're not familiar with this AAA software powering our game, grab a minute to check out this video and take in all the awesomeness for yourself!
Here's a list of those features we are most excited to be developing!
- Player Driven Gameplay
- Player Created Journal Option
- Open World Map with Few Load Screens
- Unique Explorable Landscapes
- Six Playable Races with Rich Histories (Unlock More by Hitting Our Stretch Goals!)
- Unique Alternate Starts
- Evolving Storylines and Game Map that Respond to Your Choices
- Crafting, Trading, Economy
- Character Tailored Questlines
- Customized Companions and Mounts
- Dungeon Diving & Rewards
- Unique Weaponry with Race Bonuses
- Optional Survival Needs (Eating, Sleeping, etc)
- Role-playing Immersion Focus
Concept Artworks Created By: dleoblack
Please help us spread the word about our Kickstarter so we can get the additional funding to make this game as phenomenal as possible! Grab one of these sig bars for your forum sigs, profiles, blogs, and help us get folks kicking into our project to make our dream come true! Please link to: http://kickstarter.druidgameworks.com
Risks and challenges
Every creative project has the potential to hit some potholes on the road to success and we're certainly no strangers to Murphy's Law, but our team has experience in not only attempting large scale development but completing it, despite some terrible setbacks. Here are some of the common dangers for game designers and how we plan to tackle them if they crop up on us!
1) Workflow Blocks: These sort of hurdles are common in game development. They can be caused by poor planning, lack of productivity, even software limitations. We will do everything we can to avoid bottlenecks in our workflow, or to expedite solutions if something does sneak up on us. From thorough planning and regular team meetings, to replacing unproductive team members, to utilizing Havok's top notch support for technical issues, we won't allow these things to delay production for long. Managing workflow and maintaining a project's scope is something experience teaches best, and that's experience we gained during the development years on our expansion Reclaiming Sancre Tor.
2) Hardware Failure: This is always a concern when the success of the project depends on functional hardware. Our team uses top notch equipment, custom built and designed to handle the heavy demands of game content creation. We have an emergency fund at the ready to replace any failing hardware quickly and we have the know how to handle most common types of repair ourselves.
3) Data Loss: Just like hardware, losing data can be a huge setback to a creative project so we're not cutting any corners when it comes to protecting our interests, and yours. Our data is housed on two separate servers, with separate hosts, each equipped with malware/hacker protection, and daily offsite backups. We employ the same secure networking system AAA studios like ZeniMax, Lionhead, and Ubisoft have used to manage our development network. We also use version control and monitoring to ensure our data isn't accidentally overwritten with many developers editing the same project.
4) Zombie Apocalypse: In this day and age the threat of a zombie hoard crashing through one's office should not be underestimated. We are confident that we have developed a fool proof zombie training program that will turn these single minded little guys into the ideal office assistants: shuffling off to make our coffee or to power our generator so that whatever doomsday brings will not interrupt development on the coolest game in RP history!
5) Company Instability: Very often Indie companies form as just a loose collective of friends working together with a gentleman's handshake holding their structure together. When productivity goes down, or problems arise, these companies can quickly tear themselves apart and collapse their project. Druid Gameworks Studio LLC is a proper company, having consulted attorneys to put together all the paperwork, registrations, and contracts required to form a solid business structure. There is no ambiguity in our company and that's the foundation of a solid creative endeavor.
What Happens If THIS Kickstarter Fails?
Obviously the best case scenario would be success. It would allow us to purchase our licenses and access software early in development, hire industry experienced staff to round out our team, empower us to not only achieve our vision, but make our game the best and fullest it can be. That said, as an unproven studio, with minimal industry experience, and a game very early in development, the deck is pretty stacked. We're asking you to toss your lot in on a veritable long shot, and we can appreciate the concerns this can raise for potential backers.
This game is our dream and we're tossing our lot in too. There's simply no way to finish the project in its entirety without the funding to finance our licenses. If we fail again, we will do our best to keep the dream alive and keep making developmental strides however slow until we gain enough of a following to succeed, but we'll never give up.
We'll need your help to reach the end goal and we'll keep working together until we make that happen!
Support this project
- (26 days)