So I was going to launch a Kickstarter for this naked Polaroid book I have been working on and part of that Kickstarter was to raise money for a three week trip I am going on to take a bunch of those Polaroids. Unfortunately I didn't get my shit together in time and now I am going on that trip anyway.
The first leg of the trip is a drive from Detroit, MI to Los Angeles, CA. Much of this drive is along Route 66. If you are a fan of my work you may remember that the first crowd funded project I ever did was to fund a Route 66 trip. The trip was an amazing success and turned into the sold out book Get Your Kicks.
I leave for that trip on the 7th of November and a few days later I will be in Amarillo, TX which is one of the weirder towns on the planet. It is home to the Cadillac Ranch which happens to be on the cover of Get Your Kicks! Maybe even more importantly it is home to The Big Texan the legendary steak house. When I was in Amarillo last I didn't get a chance to hit the Big Texan but this trip is my chance.
The Big Texan is famous for it's 72 Oz Steak challenge. The steak is $72 but if you eat the whole thing (and a shrimp cocktail, baked potato, salad and roll) in one hour you get it for free. This is one of the most legendary eating challenges in the world and I have wanted to attempt it for ages.
I am no stranger to food, my last Kickstarter project was for a book called Dinner With Igor. That book is just photos of people eating. But two of those photos are of me doing eating challenges. I once failed to eat a 5lb burger but it was the bun that got me and I once successfully ate 44oz of steak and I was fairly certain I could have done another 44...
I will do battle with this legendary steak and you will gain all the glory!
1) The final result of this project will be some sort of video/ photo / blog post thing but I will also be streaming the feat live via the new live streaming app HYPE.
2) If I eat the entire thing I will get it for free. I will take the $72 and make a bunch of "I Helped Someone Eat A Steak" buttons and send them to you, but if I don't eat the whole steak you get nothing. We all lose.
3) Speaking of buttons, I just ordered a bunch of Driven By Boredom enamel buttons. They are pretty sweet and they are yours for just $10. Consider this the pre-order. You will be the first to get them.
4) You can get a copy of Dinner With Igor for the exact same price as you could get it from my Etsy store. Only this time Kickstarter is getting a tiny bit of my money instead of Etsy. Also if I eat the steak you get the button too.
5) If you buy me the entire steak I will send you a print of a photo taken in Amarillo. I don't know if it's gonna be one of the photos from my Route 66 book or a new one that I take on this trip, but it will be an 8"x10" print signed and numbered. You will get the enamel pin too!
This is an incredible, important project and I am glad you are a part of it. I will be doing another one of these real soon for my book, so this is like a trial run or something. Please give me all your money twice. Yum.
Risks and challenges
There is a chance I could not eat it all. I have a lot of confidence but failure is certainly an option. Win or lose all backers will receive some sort of video documenting my journey assuming I don't die trying.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (10 days)