Hello and welcome to Update #16. Today’s topic is magic. We will be discussing the role of magic in the world and in the game.
With the event called the Rupture, one of the most significant changes is the return of magic in force and the full influx of supernatural energies into our world. Though magic has been accessible prior to the Rupture, very few people had access to true magic back then. Nowadays though, at least 10% of those born post-Rupture have the innate ability to access magic. However, to be an effective spellcaster one requires proper training or tutelage from an experienced caster.
Views on Magic
As a whole, people believe and know of the existence of magic. It’s an accepted way of life though people seeing real magic power are few and far between. Though it is known to exist, many distrust magic. Like with most people, there is fear of the unknown and the fact that magic is connected to all the bad stuff that’s happened to the world in the past 2 decades hasn’t helped people to trust it more. The more educated an area is, the more accepting they are of magic. There are settlements where all things magic are outright banned and in contrast there are settlements that have embraced magic more than they accept technology.
Types of Magic
There are 2 general types of Magic in the world of Graywalkers: Arcane magic and Divine Magic.
- Arcane Magic is the manipulation of reality through a formula of gestures and incantations. In essence, an arcane spellcaster forces his will upon the universe utilizing the energy around him or his own energies to make it happen. Though arcane magic is very versatile, it’s strength is in the area of offensive and utility type of spells.
- Divine Magic is magic that flows through to the spellcaster from an outworldly divine source. This source can vary but the simple idea is that the power comes from somebody else giving it to the caster. This can be in the form of prayer, chants, pacts or other similar arrangements of communication between caster and source.
To be able to cast spells in the game, you must have the “Spellcaster” special ability which at this point is available only to the Arcanist and the Diviner.
Nature of Spells
No matter the type or source of the spell, they all have the following features:
- Spell Requirements: all spells have a requirement to cast. These requirements can be a verbal requirement, a gesture requirement, a focus requirement or a combination of the above.
- Energy Points Cost: all spells require energy to cast. Each spell has a specific amount of energy required for it to happen. If you don’t have the needed energy, then the spell or effect cannot be completed.
- Target: every spell requires a target. It can be yourself, an ally, an enemy or an object.
- Duration: All spells have a duration on how long it remains active. This can range from instantaneous to minutes or hours. All spells can be instantly dismissed by its creator. Duration
- Caster Power: this is how powerful the spellcaster is. The more powerful the caster or in game terms the higher the caster level, the more effective a spell is in its damage, effect, and duration.
Type of Spells
There are many kinds of spell categories available such as:
- Utility Spells: these are general type of spells available to both the Diviners and Arcanist. Example of utility spells are “Light”, “Night Vision” or “Unlock”
- Offensive Spells: these are combat spells designed to deal damage to the targets (Single, Multiple, Area Effect) Examples of these are the classic Fireballs and Bolts of Lightning.
- Defensive Spells: these are spells meant to avoid getting hit or to resist damage from attacks. Examples of these are spells like “Armor” or “Deflection”.
- Healing Spells: these are spells that allow you to cure injuries and ailments. The diviners are the experts in healing spells.
- Divination Spells: these are spells used for gleaming information from a target or surroundings. Examples of spells are “Detect Enemies” or “Clairvoyance”.
- Deception Spells: These are spells meant to deceive a target’s perceptions. This includes spells like “Invisibility” or “Distracting Image”.
- Support Spells: these are spells primarily used to enhance or weaken existing abilities or skills. Example of spells would be “Aim” or “Distract”. These are more commonly known as buff and de-buff spells.
- Transformation Spells: these spells change the target. They can make them stronger, weaker or give them an ability that they did not have before by changing the form of the target.
- Occult Spells: these are spells specialized in dealing against the supernatural. Examples of these would be “Banish” or “Counter Spell”
- Summoning Spells: summoning spells allow you to instantaneously call forth a creature or spirit to aid you in combat or fulfilling a task. Right now this is limited to combat summoning only.
Getting New Spells
A caster (either Arcanist or Diviner) begins the game with several “Path Abilities” which are basically some starting spells. They can choose their spells from the list available to them. They can also spend their Special Ability points to purchase more spells at the beginning if they so choose or use those for other things.
As they gain in level and power, they gain additional Special Ability points to choose more spells if they so choose. They will also get at least 1 new spell every level. As they grow in power, the spells available to them grow in number as well.
There are 2 spellcasting paths in the game. They are however not the only magical paths in the game.
Arcanist are your typical magical experts. Other names for them in the past have been sorcerers, magicians, illusionists, and the like. Their knowledge of the secrets of the universe allow them to enforce their will upon reality.
Diviners are commonly individuals have very strong faiths and beliefs that empower them with magic. Due to the nature of the magic, many practitioners normally have a profession of faith such as priests, shamans, holy men, spirit-guides, prophets, witches and the like. It is however possible to draw upon a divine magic without being of those professions.
Martialist & Armsman
In addition to these spellcasting paths, there are 2 other paths that are somewhat mystical in nature. They don’t allow you to cast spells but you will have the chance to get special abilities which can simulate certain spell effects.
These paths are the Martialist and the Armsmen. Both of these martial Paths allow them access to supernatural energies by drawing from their inner spirit (chi) and combining it with their extreme martial skills to simulate certain supernatural effects.
For the Armsman, their focus is their weapon while with the Martialist, their weapon and focus is their own bodies.
With the presence of magic back in the world, the number of magical items available have gone up as well. Now there are people with the skill and knowledge to build magical items. The beauty of magical items are that they do not require the person to possess magic to use them. There are exceptions of course but the average person can use any magical item provided he knew the proper way to utilize them. (ex. Trigger word)
Many magical items can fulfill various functions. In essence, the item powers a specific spell or spells in the item which the user can then use. Some items can also be passive wherein in their constant use provides a specific bonus to the user's attributes, skills or ability.
As mentioned before, there are magical weapons existing in the world of Graywalkers. Most of these weapons are mystically enhanced to deal more damage, be more accurate or have an additional special effect (ex. Flaming sword). The magic is normally added to archaic weapons such as swords, axes, hammers, bows, crossbows, spears and the like.
Like it’s magical weapon counterparts, these are magically enhanced suits of armor or objects (ex. rings, amulets, etc) that provide additional protection and abilities. The protections provided vary from providing you with dodge bonuses to avoid getting hit or reducing the amount of damage you take when you are hit. It can also render you temporarily immune or resistant to specific types of attacks (ex. fire, cold, magic, etc)
Relics & Artifacts
Relics are ancient magical items that have lost their power through the years but who's power has come back with the resurgence of magic. This includes items like the "Honjo Masamune" or Durendal.
Artifacts are unique and extremely powerful magical items that have maintained their power through the years. This includes legendary items of such great power such as "The Spear of Longinus" and "Excalibur".
Be they artifacts or relics, these items are unique, extremely rare and hard to find. You won't be able to just buy them off any merchant and getting one is more often than not a mission or quest in itself.
Magical travel does exist in the Graywalkers world. They are hard to get to and hard to find but is sometimes worth it if successfully found. With Purgatory being located in the Bermuda Triangle, there seems to be an abundance of mystical portals that can transport you i instantly from one place to another. These are normally fixed points but knowing which portal goes where can save you a lot of time and energy. It is said there are also portals which lead to other points on the mainlands all over the world.
MageTech is a new thing. This is the name given to technological items merged with mystical energies to produce a new breed of techno-magic devices. Not much is known about them and no one knows where they came from. MageTech was created from the belief that Magic is just another form of technology.
So this concludes our basic info on Magic. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask so we can shed some light on it.
As for announcements, here are a few:
- We have 10 more days to go till the end of the campaign. We would really like to invite everybody here to become more active. We're not just asking you to help us get more pledges. We're also asking you to tell us what you think. Whatever the result of this campaign, one of the most important things for us is to know how we can make this game better and only you guys can tell us that.
- We're at 398 backers and only 2 away from 400 backers. We have 10 days to double or triple this number and i think we can. Campaigns live and die with their backers so we're depending on all of you to make us survive this campaign. To those who have recently joined us, welcome and thank you for being here.
- We released last week a Graywalkers Kickstarter App for Android. The iOS version will be released after the campaign unfortunately. You can get the app and it will be updated constantly with new content even after the kickstarter campaign. Think of it as your constant mobile connection to us. Right now it's a work in progress but we will improve it more once the campaign is done. You can get it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dreamlordsdigital.graywalkersapp
- Watch out for the next updates as we do a series of updates talking about the various characters in the Graywalkers Purgatory universe.
- We've just opened up the Official Steam Group for Graywalkers Purgatory. Please join us there if you have Steam. An official forum will be made available in the next few weeks but in the meantime, we can all keep in touch there even after the campaign. You can check it here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/graywalkers
We're also posting a few more concept art that we haven't shown.
seconds to go
Pledge $1 or moreYou selected
FRIEND: Our undying gratitude for your support! Thank you!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $5 or moreYou selected
BACKER: Exclusive Graywalkers Wallpapers for PC & Mobile + Credits on the Site as Backer... and everything in lower pledges that applyEstimated delivery:
Pledge $20 or moreYou selected
CITIZEN: Digital Download Copy of the Game + Digital Manual + Credits in the Game as Kickstarter Backer....and everything in lower pledges that applyEstimated delivery:
Pledge $30 or moreYou selected
SURVIVOR: Digital Comic Book + Graywalkers Mobile App for iOS & Android (Premium Edition) ...and everything in lower pledges that applyEstimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
TRAVELLER: Digital Novella + Digital Soundtrack ...and everything in lower pledges that applyEstimated delivery:
Pledge $75 or moreYou selected
ADVENTURER: Physical Boxed Copy of the Game + Digital Art Book + Graywalkers Screensaver ...and everything in lower pledges that applyEstimated delivery:Add $10 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $75 or moreYou selected
ALL DIGITAL TIER (Alternate $75 Tier): Digital Art Book + Graywalkers Screensaver + Extra Digital Download Copy (2 Total) + In-Game Starter Pack (Copper) + Digital Players Guide + Graywalkers World Book + Digital Copy of the Graywalkers Table Top RPG Main Rule Book + Everything in lower pledges that applyEstimated delivery:
Pledge $100 or moreYou selected
SOLDIER: Graywalkers Patch + Digital Players Guide + Access to Private Discussion Community + Forum VIP Badge + Forum Name Reservation (Priority from top tier down)...and everything in lower pledges that applyEstimated delivery:Add $10 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $150 or moreYou selected
RESISTANCE FIGHTER: Graywalkers T-shirt #1 + In-game Starter Pack (Basic) + Audio CD Soundtrack + Extra Digital Copy of the Game (2 Total) ...and everything in lower pledges that applyEstimated delivery:Add $15 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $250 or moreYou selected
AVALON KNIGHT: Digital Character Portrait Collection + In-Game Starter Pack (Copper) + Mouse Pad + Graywalkers Scarf + Extra Digital Copy of the Game (3 Total)...and everything in lower pledges that applyEstimated delivery:Add $20 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $500 or moreYou selected
HIDDEN ONE: Limited Edition Graywalkers Art Book (Signed) + Limited Edition Boxed Game (Signed) + Beta Access to the Game + Starter Item Pack (Silver) + Digital Poster Print .....and everything in lower pledges that applyEstimated delivery:Add $25 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $750 or moreYou selected
GRAYWALKER: Graywalkers T-Shirt Design#2 + Physical Player Strategy Guide + In-Game Starter Pack (Gold) + Limited Edition Digital Poster Print (Signed) + Extra Digital Copy of the Game (4 Total) + Concept Art Digital Print (Signed) ......and everything in lower pledges that applyEstimated delivery:Add $30 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $1,000 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (250 left of 250)
CELESTIAL: Extra Limited Edition Boxed Game (Signed) (2 Total) + Access to Developer Only Forum + Free Access to 1st DLC + In-Game Starter Pack (Platinum) + Invitation to Alpha Test Graywalkers Table Top RPG System + Digital Copy of Graywalkers Table Top RPG System Rules Set + Closed Beta Access ....and everything in lower pledges that applyEstimated delivery:Add $30 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $1,500 or moreYou selected
1 backer Limited (99 left of 100)
ANGEL: Alpha Game Access + Graywalkers T-shrit Design #3 + In-game Starter Pack (Sapphire) + Physical Copy of Graywalkers Tabletop RPG Rules Set + + Graywalkers Over the Chest Body Bag + Extra Digital Download (5 Total) of Game + Extra Limited Edition Boxed Game (signed) (3 Total) ...and everything in lower pledges that applyEstimated delivery:Add $30 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $2,000 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (50 left of 50)
CHERUBIM: Credits Title as Game Developer or Game Designer (Your Choice) + Graywalkers Grab Bag + Access to an Exclusive Recruit + In-Game Starter Pack (Ruby) + Design or Become a Minor NPC in the game + Free Shipping of Rewards + Access to exclusive Outfit Set, Weapon Set and Item Set + Extra Digital Download Copy of the Game (6 Total) + Extra Limited Edition Boxed Game (4 Total)...and everything in lower pledges that applyEstimated delivery:
Pledge $3,000 or moreYou selected
2 backers Limited (23 left of 25)
SERAPHIM: Credits Title as Assistant Producer + Get your face on an in-game Billboard/Poster + Name an Establishment + Exclusive Graywalkers Jacket + Design Custom Weapon + Custom Outfit Set + Design Custom Item + In-Game Starter Pack (Diamond) + Invitation to the Launch Parties in Las Vegas & Manila (Travel & Accomodations not included) + Extra Digital Download Copy of the Game (7 total) + Extra Limited Edition Boxed Game (Signed) (5 Total) ...and everything in lower pledges that applyEstimated delivery:
Pledge $5,000 or moreYou selected
1 backer Limited (14 left of 15)
ARCHANGEL: Credits Title of Producer + Graywalkers Backpack (Basic) + Shrine of You in Game + Name a Major NPC (Non-Combat) + Design an Epic Outfit Set + Design an Epic Weapon Set + Design an Epic Item Set + One time Roundtable Meeting with the Team (via Skype) to share your ideas directly + Character Portrait Collection Digtial Prints + In-game Starter Pack (Titanium) + Extra Digital Download of Game (8 Total) + Extra Limited Edition Boxed Game (Signed) (6 Total) ...and everything in lower pledges that applyEstimated delivery:
Pledge $7,500 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (10 left of 10)
AVATAR: Credits Title of Executive Producer + Design a Settlement/Location + Concept Art of Settlement (Signed) + Graywalkers Tactical Laptop Bag + In-Game Starter Pack (Adamantite) + Design a Major NPC (Non-Combat) + Free DLD Games for Life + GDC Dinner with Russ and other team members (Travel & Accommodations not included) + Private Meeting (via Skype) with the Team once every 6 months till launch to share your ideas + Extra Digital Download of Game (9 Total) + Extra Limited Edition Boxed Game (Signed) (8 Total) ...and everything in lower pledges that applyEstimated delivery:
Pledge $10,000 or moreYou selected
1 backer Limited (4 left of 5)
CREATOR: Credit Title as Senior Game Designer or Senior Executive Producer (your choice) + Design a Mission + Design an Epic Reward for your Designed Mission + Be or Design a Playable Character Recruit "Potential" + Design a Major Villain in the Game + Design an Elite Adventuring Group (Neutral or Enemy) + Signed Concept Art Digital Prints for all Your Designs + Signed Poster Print of your designed Character + In-Game Starter Pack (Orichalcum) + Skype Meeting with Design Team once every 4 months till launch + Spend a Weekend with us in Las Vegas or a week in Manila.(Travel & Accomodations not included) We do guarantee to give you a grand time while hanging out with us, working with us and playing with us + Exclusive Dreamlords Digital Team Jacket & T-Shirt + Modular Backpack with complete attachment set + Extra Limited Edition Boxed Game (Signed) (10 Total) + Extra Digital Download Copy of the Game (10 Total) ...and everything in lower pledges that applyEstimated delivery:
- (35 days)