That is a very good question. There are several factors that made us decide to put our target at $100,000:
1. Most of our development happens in Manila. The cost for top developers are roughly 1/10th to 1/4th for the same quality of their international counterparts. These developers have worked on different games including some of the top triple A games so you get a lot of bang for your buck
2. We're developing on Unity. This allows us several advantages that can cut costs such as:
a) We've already pre-built many different frameworks that can be used
b) There are many other frameworks and assets available in the Asset store that can cut cost and development time
3. We are currently already partially funding the game. The funds will assist us greatly but we are not 100% dependent on it.
4. Crowd Content Intiative - this is one of our ideas we want to push. This will not only cut down our costs by so much, it will also allow us to do something good for the game development community especially those who want to break into the industry. This initiative will allow other people to donate content and be recognized and rewarded for it. The content that we had in mind to be donated were 3d models, animations, 2d art, music, sound effects, particle system, and others. There are so many talented people out there who just can't break into the industry because of many different factors. We're hoping this becomes an opportunity for them to help us and us to help them.
5. Many of the development team aren't being paid much. As we mentioned, payment is partially funded by the company, and the funds coming in will allow us to take less projects and have key people work on the project..this is a labor of love wherein many of us are sacrificing to get this dream project done. The money is to pay the people we need to support the core team who aren't doing this as a labor of love.