Dex Steam Early Alpha #2
Yesterday we spoke about recent events and our upcoming build. Today’s post is dedicated mainly to the new build.
Dex Steam Early Alpha #2
There’s a new update available on Steam. The notable improvements, tweaks, and additions include:
- Completely reworked GUI system – Not visible to players, but for us it was a necessary prerequisite for future development, for full gamepad support, and for future support of console versions.
- Full controller support – Simply put, you don’t even need a mouse or keyboard. You can access all menus and options, as well as core gameplay, using the gamepad.
- Options and Settings screen – You are now able to set graphics quality manually, which we suggest doing if you experience performance issues. Also, Options enables you to set key/button mappings for keyboard, mouse, and gamepad.
- Improved controls and faster reaction times – Resulting in smoother combat. Try it for yourself and let us know how it feels!
- Enhanced combat AI – We improved combat not only via the controls and smoother reaction times, but also via tweaks to the AI. While we expect to continually improve and elaborate on combat till the final full release, we feel the current version is more fun than the version we presented at Gamescom and released on Steam in August. Check it for yourself and let us know what you think!
- Vastly overhauled sound design – We added several dozen new sound assets. Most of these are dedicated to environmental sound, specific for each location. The city center now sounds livelier, you can literally hear the atmosphere all around you and experience the noise of the crowded streets, police car sirens, and even gunshots in the neighborhoods.
- Major optimizations – We performed another set of major optimizations, some of them related to the new GUI system, some related to graphics, particles, and AI. The game should now run more smoothly on all PCs. We would appreciate your feedback here – if you experienced performance issues earlier, let us know how it works now!
- Numerous minor fixes and improvements – All around the game. Over the past few months, we have tweaked, fixed, or improved hundreds of minor issues.
Please note that this build aims at technical and gameplay improvements and tweaks. There is no new content (no new quests, items, locations, or NPCs). More information regarding a major new content update is coming in an update next week.
Digital Identity Backer Rewards
If you followed our Kickstarter campaign, you are aware that we got a couple of backers who earned the custom in-game artwork reward. After working on the changes and discussing everything with the backers individually, we ended up with two graffiti and two NPCs – and here they are!
Once again, very special thanks to our “Digital Identity” backers for their generous contribution! (And we sincerely hope you enjoy the final look of your rewards!)
That’s all for today! Stay tuned, more news coming next week!