Oliver Crum and the Briarwood Witch - A Supernatural Mystery
Pushing Daisies meets The Woman in Black. Help bring my quirky novel to life and find out what lives on the other side of the briars.
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Thu, March 7 2019 10:55 AM UTC +00:00.
Hi there! It's me again.
My name’s Chris and I write quirky supernatural mysteries. It's been a year since this amazing Kickstarter community helped bring my debut novel—The Dreadful Objects—to life. It's been an unbelievable year.
Well, I'm back and have something new and exciting to share with you.
Oliver Crum and the Briarwood Witch
Christchurch is a picturesque town, and a small group of dedicated Elders ensures it stays that way. Their jobs are pretty cushy too, except for one minor detail—someone’s been killing them. As the townsfolk start to point fingers at Oliver Crum, a recent town transplant, Oliver must clear his name by uncovering who's behind the murders. The journey will take him deep into the town's twisted history and bring him face to face with a murderous adversary. Oliver Crum and the Briarwood Witch is a supernatural mystery with quirky twists and turns that blend the best bits of the genre with splashes of horror and even a touch of coziness. It’s the first installment in a planned series and takes on a style similar to The Dreadful Objects but with an expanded cast of colorful characters and a darker supernatural twist that‘ll leave you flipping pages til the very end. The book is written, but I need your help to bring it to life.
What the story promises:
- Deep dark woods
- Supernatural foes
- Copious amounts of baked goods
Who will love it?
- Fans of colorfully grim shows like Pushing Daisies or Dead Like Me, and books like The Hazel Wood.
- People who like the characters and communities in cozy mysteries but wish these stories had more teeth—or fangs.
- Lovers of all things macabre and supernatural.
- Those who enjoy three-dimensional female characters. Yes, the main character is a dude, but still—I promise.
Still on the fence? Take a look at the manuscript draft of the first few chapters here. These chapters will likely change substantially after professional editing and proofreading, but they'll give you an idea whether or not the story is for you. They'll also look a lot better, once the manuscript is professionally typeset. The word count of the current draft is approximately 58,000 words. If you'd like to check out my first book, The Dreadful Objects, you can also pick up a copy on Amazon right now.
Meet the Protagonists
Oliver - Oliver is an engineer—or at least he was until his office meltdown. He’s come to Christchurch to stay with his aunt Izzy and escape the stresses of the city while he figures out how to unbungle his life.
Izzy - Izzy is a badass baker and a bit of an eccentric. Aside from running the Christchurch Bakery—The Rolling Pin—she keeps the town stocked with a fresh supply of honey from her backyard beehives. She fancies herself a bit of an artist too, although some of her works have proven controversial with the townsfolk. Izzy’s often in trouble with the town Elders and is a rebel when it comes to following their rules. She’s actually Oliver’s great aunt, but don’t let her know I told you.
Anna - Anna is Izzy’s right hand woman at The Rolling Pin. She’s an excellent baker and has forearms that make even the toughest of doughs tremble. Anna would take a bullet for Izzy. She can be a bit of a hothead, and sometimes her temper gets her into trouble.
Nekko and Pan - This dynamic corgi/tabby duo have a bit of a love-hate relationship. Nekko is Oliver’s cat, or butterscotch whale depending on who you ask. She likes to throw her weight around too, especially when it comes to defending herself from Izzy’s mischievous pup, Pan.
Rewards? Yes Please! (Domestic Shipping is Free!)
The reward structure for this project is simple. All tiers come with a DRM free copy of my new book, Oliver Crum and The Briarwood Witch, in three standard ebook formats (mobi, ePub, and PDF). You can load them onto your Kindle, iPad, or nearly any e-reader or computer imaginable. Reward tiers of $25 or more come with a paperback and ebook copy of Oliver Crum as well as the ebook copy of my first book, The Dreadful Objects. There are several other perks too, including the option to have your name printed in a Special Thanks section of Oliver Crum, bonus chapters, and more! As a backer of the project, you’ll receive your paperback and/or ebook copies of Oliver Crum at least one month prior to the book’s public release.
The Forgotten Chapters - The Christchurch Elders are under attack, and now you can experience the attacks firsthand. These three bonus chapters were cut from the final manuscript or adapted but offer a unique glimpse into the lives of three Christchurch townspeople. Due to the early draft nature of these chapters, the narrative may deviate somewhat from the plot of the final book. These chapters are exclusive extras and won’t be published in the paperback or ebook. Backers at the $25 tier and above will receive a PDF of these bonus chapters as an additional perk!
Stay tuned for stretch goals once initial funding goal has been reached!
What do readers say about my previous book?
From Reviews (More on Goodreads):
- "This was great book to curl up with on a cold, spooky night." - Cameron(bookmovieguy)
- "The characters were so fun and developed so well throughout the novel, the events were so entrancing, I loved it so much. I can not give it enough praise. When I got to the end I just wanted more." - Holly
- ”This read a lot like a grownups episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark or Goosebumps, but in a really good way.” - Stephanie (That’s What She Read)
- “All in all, this was a twisty, wildly entertaining story with relentless pacing, rich, lifelike characters and a brilliant ending which made this novel a real page-turner for me. It’s a wonderfully mysterious thriller that I had a difficult time putting down right until the surprising and utterly satisfying conclusion. Recommended!” - Roger
- "This was a well written, well plotted story that walked the line between supernatural suspense and horror. I frequently get tired of the overused trope of a haunted house so I was happy to find a novel offered a fresh, new and interesting perspective on those classic tales." - Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
- "I think it would be best enjoyed in the Fall with your windows open, candles lit, and some hot tea..." - Stefanie
Thanks so much for taking the time to check out my project. I hope you’ll consider backing. Here's a cute picture of my dog-he wants you to back this project too and is very supportive of my creative endeavors.
Risks and challenges
Since the manuscript is completed, the biggest risk for this project is timeline delay due to delays in editing, graphic design, or book manufacturing. I’ve built in plenty of buffer into the timeline to account for possible delays, and the next round of edits and designs are already in the works.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- All gone!