About this project
Get To Know Gracie
Lauren "Gracie" Updyke, founder of Gracie's Gear is creator of the innovative PowerPouch™ pocket sports bra and tank. Gracie has been running since age 11. She ran high school track, earned a scholarship to the University of Louisiana at Monroe and competed in NCAA Division 1 championships. Gracie holds a Masters in Exercise Science and as an ACSM certified trainer, has trained over 10,000 athletes.
Gracie was training for her first marathon when the inspiration for the PowerPouch™ pocket sports bra was born. Not wanting to impede her stride by putting a packet of energy gel into the pocket of her running shorts, Gracie placed the packet into the straps of her sports bra. By the end of her long run, it was painfully obvious a more comfortable and convenient solution was needed.
In search of a solution, Gracie set to work on her first design and in collaboration with her mother's knack for sewing, the first PowerPouch™ pocket sports bra was produced. Countless hours and product samples later, Gracie's Gear was successfully launched.
In 2006 Gracie began traveling the country showcasing the sports bra with a PowerPouch™. Gracie's Gear was seen coast to coast in as many marathons as one person could reach. The feedback was phenomenal;
"When it was time to train for the 2010 Eugene Marathon, I decided to give a gracie's gear bra a try. I was not disappointed. The bra easily carried all my gu's (energy gel) without feeling uncomfortable or overly bulky. The zipper was also very easy to open so I could access my gu's without a struggle. I decided to wear the bra for my marathon...and a lot was on the line. I wanted to qualify for my fourth Olympic Marathon Trials, so everything had to go right. The bra worked perfectly. Even though my hands don't work very well once they get cold, I could still very easily open the zipper and access my gu's every time. In the end, I accomplished my goal: I qualified for the trials and I won the marathon! It was a great day, which was made a lot easier by wearing the right gear, including my gracie's gear sports bra! I will definitely be wearing another one when I run in the trials in 2012!" -Midori Sperandeo
Recent Kickstarter Press!
TheCoolGirl.com, Gizmodo.Fr, FitnessForMommies, Crowdfundingeye, ReganRuns, Welcome To The Nuthouse, FitBottomedGirls, SweetMiles, I'm Gonna Beat You, Bendiful Blog, HerCampus, OlivetoRun, MetamorFit,
Past Press: CarolinaStyle, Fox 10 Phoenix, FitBottomedGirls, GearJunkie, Gizmodo, TechCrunch, About.com, That'sFit, JillWillRun, JessRuns, NutritionistReviews, IHeartWellness, MommyGoggles, RonisWeight, Duke Today, The Edge Boston, Kaboodle, TheUnofficialAppleBlog, RunWashington,TOP 10 Must Have's For the Boston Marathon,
We're Not Just For Runners!
1. PowerPouch™ The PowerPouch is a three compartment zipper pouch on the breast of every Gracie's Gear sports bra or tank. The pouch is large enough to hold an Iphone 5 and many other cell phones. (We haven't found one that doesn't fit). Side compartments are excellent for keys, GU Energy, mace, money, asthma inhalers, INSULIN PUMPS, bandaids... you name it. A small hidden hole for headphones/etc is also conveniently sewn at the top of each pocket.
2. Cord Loop Each sports bra or tank has a loop on the shoulder designed for headphone cables. Gracie's Gear is IDEAL for listening to music. Unlike armbands that sling headphone cables with your arm motion, Gracie's Gear controls them with the cord loop and pocket, close to your core.
3. Racerback Design This is the most supportive design for a woman's sports bra. We've spoken to thousands of women, coast to coast at marathons, races, and through personal training. Racerback designed bra's are hands down the most supportive design a woman can own.
4. Wider straps Compare our straps to in-store tanks. Our straps are wider and cut under the arm just enough to support a woman during her run. We don't cut corners around the design and fit of any Gracie's Gear product.
5. Manufacturing Quality Gracie's Gear is no longer made in China. Beginning in 2013 we have committed ourselves to American manufacturing with the completion of this successful Kickstarter campaign. Additionally, all our tops wick moisture and are manufactured using environmentally friendly sustainable practices.
6. Our Guarantee:
Risks and challenges
This ain't our first Rodeo. (Apparently everybody says this!)
Actually, it's our first Kickstarter Rodeo but it's NOT our first time producing Gracie's Gear. We've sold thousands of tops to women all over the world. If you saw our video, you'll know that personal tragedy tore Gracie's Gear apart. We have an insanely popular product and we just need your help to get going.
Manufacturing in North America is a HUGE step for us. The last time we attempted manufacturing in the U.S. we were met with 4 month delays. Gracie didn't give up and we satisfied our orders. We are not going to let that happen again. Manufacturing in the U.S. with our new manufacturer will be our greatest risk and hopefully our greatest new asset. Our new manufactures are highly recommended from top name brands and fellow Kickstarter companies.
Lastly, apparently hitting our stretch goal with a 'female only' product on Kickstarter is risky. Check it out, demographics of Kickstarter are 75% male and in the list of Top Funded Fashion Kickstarters women's only products barely break the top 20!
Together, we need everyones help. Not only in meeting our goal, but attaining our stretch goals.
Support this project
- (30 days)