"I've been looking forward to a digital trading card game which has the depth of Magic for a long time. The real time nature of Nova Blitz keeps games moving. And the team's knowledge of strategy games keeps it firmly in the strategy camp, and not in the twitch camp."
- Richard Garfield, creator of Magic: The Gathering
"Get on board now and you’ll be proud you were in on the ground floor of this unbelievable game."
- Zac Phoenix, TradingCardGames.com
Latest Updates: Stretch Goal Unlocked!
Nova Blitz is fully funded,and we've unlocked our first stretch goal! We've done it, and we're not stopping there. Onwards and upwards to hit more goals:
We just hit 450 backers, so 13 achievements unlocked, and that means 3 free packs for everyone! Get those retweets and gameplay videos rolling in, and keep telling your friends to back us - time to shoot for pack #4!
Each square in the matrix is an achievement for you to complete. For every four achievements completed, ALL of our backers will gain one extra Smart Pack with their Kickstarter rewards. And, when all 25 achievements are complete, we'll give ALL of our backers a very special reward.
For the "retweet" achievements, retweet any tweet from @NovaBlitz. For the game play video achievements, upload your video to YouTube, and share the link in the Kickstarter comments.
The more backers we have, the more achievements we'll hit. So this is where you come in: talk to your gaming groups, share the Kickstarter on Twitter and Facebook, and tell all your friends to back the Kickstarter!
Nova Blitz plays totally differently to every other trading card game. You summon units, play powers, and duel in real time. Turns are simultaneous, with both players playing at once, so there's no waiting for your opponent. Games take less than five minutes! And, in combat, the hidden attack and block orders let you bluff and counter-bluff your opponent.
We're also building some pretty awesome features into the game:
- No-Screw Shuffler: You won't get mana screwed
- Smart Packs: Your packs always contain the set you want
- On-Demand Drafts: Draft real packs, keep the cards you draft, and never wait for other players
- Community: You can design cards for the game
- Trading: A full economy - buy, sell, and trade cards
- Rankings: Climb the leaderboard each month in search of the top prizes
- Cross-Platform Play: One account across Mac, Windows, Linux, iPad, & Android
We need your support to finish and deliver Nova Blitz, so back us today!
Nova Blitz game play video:
We've been working on games, especially trading card games, for over 15 years. Here's some of the amazing games we've worked on...
Paul, Dan, Noah, and Ryan created Dragon Foundry in early 2014, to build a trading card game that's a digital game first and foremost. We wanted to make something a little different - a card-based game that was fast-paced, action focused, and with no waiting.
Building this game is a huge undertaking - we're a small indie team building a massively multiplayer online game. We're incredibly lucky to be working with so many talented designers, programmers, and artists - this is the most experienced team any of us have seen in action. And over the last year, we've pulled in even more awesome people to help us make this vision a reality, including our team of amazing card artists.
We spent 6 months prototyping different ideas, and refining the core concept of a real-time trading card game. Our prototypes and playtests showed us that a fast-paced TCG was a game changer - the idea of "no waiting" resonated with all kinds of gamers. They also showed us that polish and simple rules would be critical to success.
Fast forward to today. We're at Alpha, with full multiplayer, deck building, and over 200 cards. We're Greenlit on Steam! We've made some huge leaps forward in game play, features, and polish. Now, we want your feedback.
Download the Nova Blitz Alpha now
The Alpha is here for you to download and play on Windows, Mac, and Linux - tell us what you think:
In arenas across the galaxy, Novas battle each other using summoned units and epic powers, and the last Nova standing wins. Novas fight for fame, fortune, and the chance to compete in the Nova Blitz championship, where millions of Credits are at stake!
The universe of Nova Blitz is ruled by five aspects of energy: Arcane, Tech, Divine, Nature, and Chaos. Each aspect has its own philosophies, strengths, and weaknesses, and each aspect is represented in a unique way in the game’s mechanics, powers, and units.
The goal of Nova Blitz is to reduce your opponent’s Health to 0. You will do this through a combination of playing Powers and attacking with Units.
At the start of each turn, both players refill up to their Maximum Energy and draw a card. Then there is an Action Phase followed by a Combat Phase.
Both players play cards in real time during the Action phase, which lasts about 20 seconds. A shrinking bar shows how much time is left. Any time you play a card, you give up Initiative to your opponent, and vice versa. The player who ends up with Initiative at the end of the Action Phase will attack first in the Combat Phase.
In combat, both players secretly assign orders to their Units. Each Unit can either attack the opponent (by clicking the red fist icon) or try to block an enemy Unit (by clicking the blue shield icon, then the specific Unit to block).
Once both players have finished their secret assignments, combat starts. All the Units belonging to the player with Initiative attack first, in the order their commands were given, then all the other player’s Units attack. If an attacking Unit is blocked, the two Units deal damage to each other. If it isn’t blocked, it deals damage to the opponent.
The deck builder allows you to mix and match any cards to make your deck, and you can have up to 20 decks in your collection. Legal decks are 60 cards, any number of Aspects, and no more than 4 of any card other than resource cards.
We're asking for $40,000 to complete Nova Blitz. That's enough to get us to launch... slowly... which is why you see the June 2016 launch date. One of the big things that more money will provide is more resources. And with more resources, we can deliver Nova Blitz to you even faster.
We're spending that $40,000 (well, $35,000 once taxes and fees come out) on the remaining artwork, music, and graphics we need to complete the game. We'll also spend a little of that money on the game servers and bandwidth to host the game from now until release. If we get more than $40k, we'll be putting it towards feature development - both accelerating our schedule, and completing additional features for the game.
- Artwork: Art is an important part of Nova Blitz. It is one of the key ways we connect with the world and the fiction. It is also our largest expense. We will be commissioning a hundred new pieces of art for the game.
- Music: What game would be complete without music? Nova Blitz is no exception. We will be compiling 8 custom tracks to help set the soundscape of Nova Blitz.
- Graphics: We will be improving the graphics of the game board, card backs, and card frames, including a unique game board design for each of the five aspects!
- Servers: We need to have a place for all of your Novas to show off your skills. This covers the initial 6 months of hosting and bandwidth.
- Fees and Taxes: You gotta pay to play. We have to pay Kickstarter fees, as well as various taxes, other incidental fees.
Our plan is simple. We just launched our Alpha (right on track!), and now we're starting to move towards Beta. We'll deliver Beta before the end of 2015, then the full release is scheduled for June of 2016. Between now and Beta, in addition to completing the artwork, graphics, and sound, we're also completing and polishing the rest of our key features.
We'll design and adjust all these features (and more) based on the feedback we get from you and the rest of the Nova Blitz community.
- Smart Packs: All Nova Blitz packs are "Smart Packs". You can open a Smart Pack as a pack of any card set that's in our store - we don't lock you into a specific set, and you don't have to decide until you open the pack!
- No-screw Shuffler: Our shuffler prevents energy screw by looking through the deck and breaking up large clumps of non-resource cards. No more hands with 0 energy, or 7 energy!
- On-Demand Drafts: All the strategy of an in-person draft with no waiting for other drafters. The server ensures the next pack is always ready for you. Drafts are three 15-card packs. You take a card from the pack, then pass the pack to the next player, until you have 45 cards. And when you're done, you keep all the cards you've drafted.
- Full Deck Building: You can mix and match any cards you want in your 60-card deck. And the shuffler helps again here so two-Aspect decks won't get color screwed.
- Level Up: Gain rank & rewards each month by winning games. Best of all, losing games doesn't reduce your rank, so there's no penalty for trying out a new deck.
- Matchmaking: In addition to separating players by skill, the matchmaker will also make sure you’re not facing the same deck in two consecutive games.
- Trading & Economy: The in-game store lets you buy packs, Credits, and tournament entries. You can buy and sell cards for in-game Credits. And, you can even sell your Nova Gems on the Steam Community Marketplace (for real money!)
When you back Nova Blitz, you become a part of our community. This lets you share your ideas with us - and work with our designers and developers on:
- Card Design: We'll listen to your design ideas, discuss them with the community, and put the community-designed cards in our card sets.
- Feature Development: We'll work with the community to decide what features to develop, how they're designed, and when they're released.
- Community Events: Special community events will have a direct impact on the game, its world, its characters, and its future.
- Friends Play: What would a game be if you couldn't play it with your friends? We're building the friend play system right now - it'll be live before the end of Alpha!
- Fan Site Support: Our API supports all kinds of cool fan-sites. Let us know what you want to build, and we'll point you in the right direction
We understand how important it is that your cards have, and maintain, value. To support that, we're implementing a full player-focused economy for Nova Blitz. Buy packs in the store, buy and sell cards with other players; even sell items you win in tournaments for real money in the Steam Community Marketplace.
Smart Packs: Smart packs can be opened as any pack in our store. As well as keeping players happy, this will help keep the economy balanced. Each 15-card Smart Pack contains 11 commons, and 4 cards in a mix of Rare, Epic, and Legendary. On average, you'll get 3 Rares, and one Epic or Legendary (1 Legendary card in every 8 packs)... unless you pull a Mega-Pack, which includes 5 Rares, and 4 Epic or Legendary cards. Smart Packs cost 200 credits each, or you can buy in bulk and save money.
Credits: Credits can be used to buy packs, enter drafts and constructed leagues, and buy cards in the marketplace. You can buy credits in the store at an exchange rate of 100 credits for $1.
Nova Gems: You win Nova Gems by doing well in Constructed Leagues. Each Nova Gems is worth 500 credits ($5) in the store. You can also trade them to other players for in-game currency and sell them for real money in the Steam Community Marketplace.
Trading: Trading in Nova Blitz is done through the in-game marketplace. The universe of Nova Blitz has progressed far beyond the barter system, so you can buy and sell cards with other players for Credits.
Daily Rewards: You can earn cards for free through casual play! The first game you win each day, you'll win a 3-card reward pack. After that, rewards will get less and less frequent. Front-loading the daily rewards like this ensures casual play isn't too much of a grind.
Drafts: You'll open three packs, draft 45 cards, and build a 40-card deck. You don't have to wait for other players; the server handles passing packs between players. Play until you lose 3 games, with no limit on your number of wins. You'll win one pack for every 2 games you win, with no limit of games won. Drafts cost 500 credits ($5), or 3 packs and 200 credits.
Constructed Leagues: Bring your best 60-card deck, and play until you lose 3 games, with no limit on your number of wins. Win one Smart Pack for each of your first 5 wins. And every win after your fifth grants you one Nova Gem! Constructed leagues cost 500 credits ($5).
We're offering some great rewards for Nova Blitz Backers. The helpful table below shows the rewards for each tier of Backer - choose your tier, and back us today!
Risks and challenges
Digital TCGs are hard. Almost every one has missed its launch date; most have also missed their Alpha and Beta dates. Deadlines are by far the biggest risk here.
We're in a great position. We've already released our Alpha, and we're already Greenlit on Steam. The next steps are closed beta in autumn, and open beta early in 2016. We're promising a June 2016 delivery date because that's what we'll hit if we're funded at the minimum amount. One of the big things that more money will get us is a quicker release date - think of that as a bonus stretch goal!
To ensure we hit the dates, we're taking three key steps. First, we're controlling the scope of what we're committing to - scope control is critical for hitting release dates. On Kickstarter projects, scope creep often comes in the form of stretch goals. We're not going to fall into that trap - we've selected stretch goals that won't wreck the schedule, and we're going to work with you to determine which stretch goal features you want the most, so we can focus on those as soon as we get everyone into the beta.
Second, we have a fantastic team. Our designers and developers are all old hands at launching great games. That track record makes us confident that we'll deliver on time.
Third is involving you in the design and development process. The more feedback, input, and ideas we get from you, the better we'll be able to deliver the game you want.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)