Nova Blitz - Real Time Trading Card Game (Canceled)
Nova Blitz - Real Time Trading Card Game (Canceled)
The NovaBlitz real-time TCG features blazing fast game play, deep strategy, and huge cash prize tournaments!
The NovaBlitz real-time TCG features blazing fast game play, deep strategy, and huge cash prize tournaments! Read more
About this project
From a team of veteran Magic: The Gathering designers and developers comes the Nova Blitz real time TCG. Nova Blitz will bring blazing fast game play, deep strategy, and huge cash prize tournaments to PC, Mac, iPad, and Android in 2015!
The object of a game of Nova Blitz is to knock your opponent to 0 health. Both players start at 30 health, with a deck of 60 cards divided between resource cards, unit cards, and power cards. At the beginning of the game you draw a hand of 7 cards, and one additional card at the start of each turn.
Each turn has an action phase (play cards), and then a combat phase (attack with units). Both players play every turn – this isn’t an old-style “my turn, your turn” type of game.
In the action phase, both players play simultaneously in real-time. When the phase starts, both players have 10 seconds to make a play. Whenever a player makes a play, both players get 5 seconds to respond to that play. All cards are played last-in, first-out, so you can respond to anything your opponent does with any of your cards. This means the game is incredibly interactive, and allows for some clever tricks!
Playing a card is simple – just drag it to its target. Each card costs Energy to play. You gain Energy by playing Resources, and spend it to play units and powers. At the start of each turn, you draw a card, and your Energy refills. The game takes care of paying costs, making sure your plays are legal, and telling you what’s going on.
In the combat phase, each unit can attack once, and the players take turns alternating attacks with their units. The player with the strongest (highest Attack value) unit can attack first with any of their units. You can attack your opponent (your unit deals damage equal to its attack value to them), or you can attack their units (the two units deal damage equal to their attack value to each other). You’ll see the results of the combat play out in animations on screen – damage is dealt, units die, and abilities trigger.
Once your attack has resolved, it’s now your opponent’s turn to attack. Attacks alternate until there are no more units that can attack. At that point, the combat phase is over, and a new turn begins.
When you knock your opponent to 0 health, you win! If you’re playing for fun, you can jump right back into the action. If you’re playing in a tournament, you’ll win a prize (every game win in a tournament gets you a prize)! Whether you win or lose the game, Nova Blitz games take less than 5 minutes, so there’s always time to jump in and play one more game!
Try it Yourself!
The best way to experience Nova Blitz is to play it: go to NovaBlitz.com/demo to download our demo version. Don’t take our word for it - the game really is fast and fun! The second best way is to watch a game. Here's a full gameplay video:
What People Are Saying
"I've been looking forward to a digital trading card game which has the depth of Magic for a long time. The real time nature of Nova Blitz keeps games moving. And the team's knowledge of strategy games keeps it firmly in the strategy camp, and not in the twitch camp."
- Richard Garfield, creator of Magic: The Gathering
- No Waiting: Unlike other trading card games, there’s no waiting for your opponent, so Nova Blitz games take less than 5 minutes! And, since games are fast, tournaments are fast too!
- Deep Strategy: Every Nova Blitz card interacts with all the others, and all your cards can respond to your opponent's plays!
- Huge Prizes: You can play in leagues on your own schedule. Or, you can compete in tournaments to win thousands of dollars of cash prizes!
- Community: As a member of the Nova Blitz community, you’ll have a real say in the future of the game. We might even put your card design into the game!
- Leagues: Play draft or constructed on your own schedule. The more games you win, the more prizes you earn!
- Blitz Tournaments: Fast-paced daily tournaments with great prizes! Every win gives you more prizes, and the top players qualify for the monthly Championship!
- Championships: Compete to win real cash prizes!
- Backer Tournament: Every Nova Blitz backer will be invited to a Backer-only tournament with great cash prizes!
When you back Nova Blitz, you become a part of our community. This lets you share your ideas with us - and work with our designers and developers on:
- Card Design: We'll listen to your design ideas, discuss them with the community, and put the best ones in sets.
- Feature Development: We'll work with the community to decide what features to develop, how they're designed, and when they're released.
- Community Events: Special community events will have a direct impact on the game, its world, its characters, and its future.
- Improved Shuffler: Our shuffler prevents energy screw by first shuffling the deck to get a random selection of cards, then looking through the deck and breaking up large clumps of energy or non-energy cards. This removes a lot of the worst possible hands from the equation – no more hands with 0 energy, or 7 energy.
- Smarter Matchmaking: In casual play, the matchmaker makes games based on the overall experience level & overall level of success of the players, so it makes sure that new players, casual players, and seasoned pros are kept apart. The matchmaking system also does another neat thing: It checks what deck your opponents are playing, and makes sure you’re not facing the same deck again and again and again.
- Drafts with No Waiting: Each time you draft, you’ll open four packs. You’ll pick a card, and pass the pack on, and then receive your next pack from the player who’s feeding you. This is much the same as an in-person booster draft, but with one key difference: you can draft as quickly or slowly as you want – no waiting for an 8-player pod to fill up, and no waiting on a slow drafter.
- Tournaments with No Waiting: When you join a tournament, you start playing immediately. Every time you finish a game, you can jump right into the next game, or take a break and pick it up later. You play until you lose 5 games, and you can collect your prizes immediately. The more games you win, the more prizes you win.
- Smart Packs: All Nova Blitz packs are "Smart Packs". You can open a Smart Pack as a pack of any card set that's in our store - we don't lock you into a specific set, and you don't have to decide until you open the pack! Each pack is 12 cards, for $2 (or the equivalent in other currencies). Packs contain 8 common cards, and then a mix of rare, epic, and legendary cards that works out to roughly 3 rares, 0.75 epics, and 0.25 legendaries (though the contents of any given pack can vary).
- No Pay to Play: There's no up-front cost to play the game, no subscription, no other fees. When you create an account, you'll get hundreds of cards - enough to build decks straight away. You'll also be able to earn more cards as you play. If you like the game, you'll be able to buy booster packs and enter tournaments where you can also win packs.
- Trading System: Our trading system will use a marketplace system. You can post your trades on the marketplace, and they’ll execute automatically for you.
The universe of Nova Blitz is ruled by five aspects of energy: Arcane, Tech, Divine, Nature, and Chaos. Each aspect has its own philosophies, strengths, and weaknesses, and each aspect is represented in a unique way in the game’s mechanics, powers, and units.
In arenas across the galaxy, Novas battle each other using summoned units and epic powers, and the last Nova standing wins. Novas fight for fame, fortune, and the chance to compete in the Nova Blitz championship, where millions of Credits are at stake! Learn more about the world of Nova Blitz at www.NovaBlitz.com!
Each Nova Blitz stretch goal unlocks a tournament prize, event, or feature, as well as a cool gift for you!
In addition to this core game play team, many more people contributed design, development, and creative to Nova Blitz (you can see more team members on our website)! We'd also like to thank Brandon Bozzi, Richard Garfield, Skaff Elias, and Nate Heiss for their game design contributions!
We're asking for $80,000 to fund Nova Blitz. That's enough to get us to launch... slowly... which is why you see the February 2016 launch date. One of the big things that more money will provide is more resources. And with more resources, we can deliver Nova Blitz to you even faster.
Our plan is simple. We'll deliver Alpha in early summer, then we'll deliver Beta in early fall. We'll release in February 2016 if we're funded at the minimum level. Between now and open Beta, we have three goals, and each costs roughly a third of the money we're asking for:
- Coding & testing more cards.
- Finishing remaining features.
- Adding more artwork, sound, and visual effects.
At the start of Alpha, we'll have constructed play, after which we'll launch drafting and leagues.
During Beta, we'll deliver tournaments, the store, the trading post, and a tutorial. We'll also work on our first community-driven features.
Once we launch, you'll see more stretch goal features, and also new card sets (we're planning Set 2 to hit soon after launch).
Risks and challenges
Digital TCGs are hard. Almost every one has missed its launch date; most have also missed their Alpha and Beta dates. Deadlines are by far the biggest risk here.
We've taken steps to ensure we hit Alpha in early summer, and closed beta in early fall. The game is in great shape, and is already playable on PC, Mac, and iPad, so we're confident in that timeline. We're promising a February 2016 delivery date because that's what we'll hit if we're funded at the minimum amount. One of the big things that more money will get us is a quicker release date - think of that as a bonus stretch goal!
The first thing we've done is to control the scope of what we're committing to. The Scope Creep is a vicious beast, and can wreck any project. On Kickstarter projects, scope creep comes in the form of stretch goals. We've selected stretch goals that won't wreck the schedule, and we're going to work with you to determine which stretch goal features you want the most, so we can focus on those as soon as we get everyone into the beta.
The second thing we've done is build a fantastic team. Our designers and developers are all old hands at launching great games. That track record makes us confident that we'll deliver on time.
The third thing we're doing to ensure things don't go wrong is involving you in the design and development process. The more feedback, input, and ideas we get from you, the better we'll be able to deliver the game you want.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (28 days)