About this project
Z. in the press!
Z. Year One was created to be the zombie equivalent of Magic: The Gathering (give or take a few things), but in the years since its inception it has become so much more thanks to the support of our community, a lengthy and organic creative process, countless playtests, and the involvement of hundreds of talented individuals who help bring the cards to life.
- Choose your format: Limited run physical edition (P) or multiplatform digital version (D)
- Choose your side: Play as either the Survivors or the Fallen
- Each match is your own unique zombie horror film
- Location decks brings an immersive and dynamic layer to the standard CCG format
- EVERY card image is a high quality photograph
- Inspired by everything from Magic: The Gathering and The Walking Dead to Dungeons & Dragons and classic Resident Evil games.
The physical edition (P) of Z. will be made with the highest quality components and cards thanks to our successful 2013 Kickstarter, the support of tabletop co-publisher, and veteran manufacturer Panda GM.
It will support 2-4 players (5-6 unofficially) and is expected to start production by January. Every physical edition pledge tier includes a Print-and-Play of the Core Set and future expansions, as well as the ability to vote on the final card images.
The digital version of Z. was designed to take the tabletop experience into new territory.
- Robust Single-player and Multiplayer modes
- Customize your deck from over 600 cards (and growing)
- Immersive 3D locations
- Diverse attack animations and character dialogue
- Live-action cinematics
- Booster packs, achievements, progression, and more
- All Location Decks are free to access for all players
- Coming to PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android
- Battle AI opponents in Arcade Mode
- Roguelike system allows you to carry over cards you obtained in previous matches
- Online multiplayer (Ranked or Casual against friends)
- Arena: Earn better rewards the more you win
- Remix Arena: Modified rules every week
- 600+ cards with many more already in development
- Highly affordable booster packs at $1 a pop
- Level up to access new content
- Complete challenges and achievements to unlock rewards
- Unique virtual card sleeves visible in-game
- Visual "Filters" such as foils, black & white, and more
- Find and collect variant card images and rare "secret costumes"
Third-Party Tools and Partners:
- Unity is the same engine used to develop Hearthstone and countless other amazing games.
- Steam will allow us to easily publish Z. and push game updates to players on PC, Mac, and Linux. Please check out our Greenlight page!
- PlayFab handles a lot of our backend functionality that’s inherent in a digital card game, such as our booster packs, player inventory, stat tracking, and eventually our card marketplace/player trading system.
- Photon currently powers over 100,000 different games, offering an affordable and secure infrastructure for our online features and multiplayer matches.
Following the first days of the outbreak, The Survivors escaped into the massive forest area just north of San Francisco, which--like all major metropolitan areas--is now completely overrun with Fallen. Months have passed and rescue seems increasingly unlikely. As resources rapidly dwindle, the Survivors must venture away from the safety of their hideouts to find food and supplies.
CHOOSE YOUR SIDE!
Z. features two asymmetrical factions -- The Survivors and the Fallen.
- Can use over 100 items, weapons, and armor
- Can search Locations for Supplies and new cards
- Can complete Event objectives for bonus rewards
- Stronger base HP and AP
- Can corrupt Survivors and convert them into Fallen
- Can use Rampages, which are essentially "zombie killstreaks"
Some Survivors have adapted well to the post-outbreak world, taking on roles similar to those you’d find in an RPG, like a medic, or tank. Others have risen to legendary status through their exploits and abilities. The Survivors also have access to any found weapons, items, and armor. Characters experienced with firearms can even unlock special Marksman bonuses which are unique to the DOZENS of guns spread across the game.
The three Survivor Starter Decks are:
- Scavengers, which rely on stealth and trickery to quietly dispatch enemies while rapidly gaining Supplies.
- Firepower, which forgoes a delicate touch in favor of aggressive plays with big, loud weaponry.
- Last Stand, which allows the Survivors to barricade themselves into locations.
The Fallen, on the other hand, are single-minded in their hunt for the Survivors. The Fallen are frightening and formidable predators that have familiar faces but feel no fear and feel no pain. Like the Survivors, the Fallen also have many unique archetypes, as well as Instinct and Trap cards that alter the rules of the game on the fly, and Rampages, which are essentially zombie killstreaks.
The three Fallen Starter Decks are:
- Outbreak, which provides many tools for converting Survivors into Fallen, turning friends, family members, and loved ones against their former allies and all the emotional torment that brings.
- Overrun, which focuses on overwhelming the Survivors with a flurry of increasingly dangerous Fallen.
- Sabotage, which can manipulate, harass, and generally slow the Survivors’ search efforts.
That's just the beginning...
Starter Decks are just that--a starting point for your collection and strategies. You’re free to customize your decks and encouraged to invent new ones. (My personal favorite right now is the Unkillable Horror deck! --Sebastian)
For the physical edition we’ll be supporting fan-made remixes and scenarios through the official Z. website.
Z. has seen its fare share of ups and downs but the finish line is finally in sight! This final push Kickstarter campaign will allow us to complete the remaining card images and begin the final steps to getting this game in your hands ASAP!
*Z. is a work in progress. Content listed on this page are subject to change and likely will before the game is complete. That mainly includes card stats/descriptions/images and game rules, though we feel most of that is pretty solid at this point. With regards to rewards we plan to keep those 100% as promised. In the extremely rare/unlikely chance a reward changes or can’t be delivered, it will be replaced by something of equal or greater value.
**Content listed as *Kickstarter Exclusive” may be available in limited quantities through special promotions or at conventions at a later date. However, it will generally NOT be easy or cheap to obtain.
Risks and challenges
Hello everyone, Sebastian here. Having worked on Z. for over three years now, I’m quite familiar with the risks and challenges of the project and am fully committed to seeing the game through to completion. We’ve worked out a lot of the major kinks and learned a great deal of valuable lessons since 2012, so here’s what remains:
**FINISHING THE IMAGES**
The purpose of this Kickstarter! Z. has a very unique visual style that hundreds of people have contributed to at this point. It takes a lot of hard work and a fair amount of time to ensure everything in Z. meets our high standard of quality.
**PHYSICAL REWARD FULFILLMENT**
Thanks to our tabletop co-publisher this is no longer a concern, just a matter of time. We expect to move into the manufacturing phase in December or January, as soon as all of the images are complete, with a 4-6 month turnaround time to your doorstep. Manufacturing times tend to fluctuate and that’s the nature of the beast, but May is a good, general ETA for the fulfillment of the Core Set.
**DIGITAL GAME DEVELOPMENT**
This is the place where Z. has hit all of its largest speedbumps. When Anthony joined the team earlier this year and our tabletop co-publisher provided some much-needed financial relief to let him do his thing, the issue simply became one of time. How long will it take to do everything we want? And programming, polishing, and testing games takes time, especially one with as many moving parts as Z. has.
The plan is to start small on Steam Early Access, then, with the involvement and feedback of you, the backers, build the game up to its final form. I think this approach will ultimately let us create a much more balanced and entertaining game, and I’m excited to include you every step of the way.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (29 days)