Choose your side and help evolve tabletop gaming with this ambitious and groundbreaking hybrid zombie experience.
Z. HAS BEEN FUNDED! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!
Z. is a zombies-versus-survivors downloadable trading card game best described as "Magic: The Gathering meets The Walking Dead" (and Left 4 Dead, and Dawn of the Dead, and Highschool of the Dead, and pretty much anything with "Dead" in the title). Are you a zombie, or are you a survivor? Choose your side!
Z. comes in two flavors: digital and a Kickstarter-exclusive physical boxed edition, but you can get both of them with a single pledge.
The Digital Version
What's that? You hate reading 100-page rulebooks? You hate shuffling cards every 10 seconds? You hate sorting through all of your cards trying to create the "best" deck possible? This is the version for you -- just start playing!
- Cross-platform play for iOS, PC, Android, Mac, Facebook, and Linux
- Single-player episodic story mode w/ live-action cutscenes!*
- Single or cooperative "RPG" mode with random loot, XP, and more!
- Turn-based multiplayer duels -- take your turn whenever you want!
- Auto-sort your library: instantly create custom decks to fit your playstyle!
- Intelligent matchmaking -- play against people with the same power decks
- Killstreaks, traps, and equipment sets bring elements of your favorite games to the trading card genre
- Unlock new cards naturally through gameplay!
Recommended Tier: The Ultimate All-Digital Bundle
ADD the Ultimate All-Digital Bundle to ANY pledge by including an extra $100.
*Live-action cinematics are produced by the same team behind the Left 4 Dead short film:
The Physical Version
For the old-school tabletop gamer, we haven't left you out! The Kickstarter-exclusive physical edition of Z. contains the following:
- A signed and numbered Deluxe Boxed Set
- Six different themed decks (three zombie, three survivor)
- Over 350+ cards!
- All physical editions are made equal, no booster packs or random distribution
Recommended Tier: Rare Collector
Exclusive to this Kickstarter campaign are a number of special guest survivor and zombie cards. We’ll be announcing as many as we can throughout the campaign, and they are automatically included at ALL backer levels ($15+), on top of any other bonus cards.
- Tim Schafer
- Ron Gilbert
- Tex Murphy
- Jessica Nigri
- Mr. Destructoid
- Grant Imahara (Mythbusters)
- The Zpocalypse 5
- Sean Baby (Cracked.com)
- Linda Le
- Monika Lee
- Al Lowe (Leisure Suit Larry)
- And more!
Z. comes packing rewards in both digital and physical form. Hopefully you think they're equally badass, as we’ve tried to come up with some seriously cool swag for everyone who supports and believes in our project.
- If all manner of digital goodness is your thing, we have enhanced game bundles to get you started off in Z. on the right foot, plus a ton of Kickstarter-exclusive cards that we’ll continue adding to throughout the campaign.
- If you prefer to hold and caress your swag, you can do that too thanks to the signed and numbered Kickstarter-exclusive Z. boxed sets and Art From the End of the World concept art book. We’ll never make these again! There are also some sweet retro Z. collectors carts. You won’t have to blow into these to make them shine next to all your other geek paraphernalia!
- If you want to be a card in Z. or even a recurring character in the live-action story episodes, it’ll cost a bit extra, but we promise to make it an experience you’ll never forget!
- And finally, you can view all the behind-the-scenes happenings of running a Kickstarter and making a trading card game, or dive into the VIP developer forums and discuss and vote on game features, new card ideas, and more!
Looking for the perfect backer level? We highly recommend the Ultimate All-Digital Bundle, as it includes a massive value and is limited to only 1,000 backers.
ULTIMATE ALL-DIGITAL BUNDLE
HELP US REACH OUR GOAL WITH THIS LIMITED EARLY BIRD SPECIAL!
The Ultimate All-Digital Bundle is limited and is NOT included in ANY other reward tiers. The Lifetime VIP Pass normally starts at the $250 backer level, the Golden Rocket Launcher and Minigun normally start at $1,000, and the Filter Unlock Key is exclusive to this reward ONLY.
- Start the game with all six Elite Edition Starter Packs for survivors and zombies (over 350 cards!)
- Lifetime VIP pass - one Enhanced Booster Pack every week!
- Five extra Elite Editions of the game to gift to anyone you want.
- Tokens to download five Elite Booster Packs with at least two rares in each pack.
- All 10 Kickstarter-exclusive rare cards.
- The Golden Rocket Launcher and Golden Minigun weapons.
- Permanently unlock any Filter type to use on all your cards.
- PDF of the Art From the End of the World concept art book.
- MP3 download of the official Z. soundtrack.
- Exclusive access to closed beta for Z. and future Downward Viral games.
- VIP access to the development forums and wiki.
- A personal phone call from the dev team thanking you for your support!
- NOW INCLUDES A PRINT-AND-PLAY VERSION!
Each month we sink our own (usually fake) blood, sweat, and (very real) paychecks into Z., and we’ll continue to do so. Co-founder Sebastian Haley even sold his car and beloved comic collection to get Downward Viral off the ground. But to make a game like Z. as awesome as it can be, we need the support of the Kickstarter community.
1. CREATED WITH YOU, FOR YOU!
We’re not asking for your money and then running off to make our game in the corner somewhere. Z. is meant to be a community project -- we’ll be talking to you every day, asking and listening to what you like or don’t like, going out to local comic shops and events like PAX and Comic-Con to play the game with you and get your feedback, and much more.
We’re creating this game with you, for you (assuming you’re a hardcore geek who loves zombies, that is). And of course, some of you will even be creating cards for the game or becoming survivor and zombie cards yourself!
2. CREATIVE FREEDOM!
Content was taken out of the final game and sold as Day One DLC? Publisher. Game was rushed out to meet an arbitrary holiday release date without being properly tested? Publisher. Entire studio gets closed down after releasing a solid game that failed to meet absurd sales targets? Publisher. Your company is voted the worst in America by the Consumerist? And so on and so forth.
Downward Viral will always remain independent, no matter how many personal heirlooms or comic collections or vats of plasma we have to sell to do it, or how many hours we have to work an extra job on the weekend to pay the licensing fees for our engine. We'll do whatever it takes. And that independence will result in better games and the creative freedom to work directly with our fans and supporters like you. We want to have full transparency about what we’re doing, and why we’re doing it, and that’s just one thing among many that you’ll never get once a publisher is involved.
So... which side are you on?
You're still here, huh? Well then you might be interested in checking out some potential card designs from our concept artists. Although we're using a lot of creative commons and license-free images for our mock-up cards right now, every card in Z. will feature original photography and horror effects created exclusively for the final game.
Here are just a few of the characters you may see in Z. in the coming months and years!
That last one is a personal favorite of a lot of the team... we'll definitely make it happen!
First and foremost, Downward Viral would like to thank Kickstarter and all of our backers for giving us the opportunity to do what we love without having to compromise our values or creative freedom. Thank you all so much!
- All concept art by Eric Belisle unless otherwise noted.
- Left 4 Dead film footage used with permission from Northern Five Entertainment.
- Special thanks to Meltdown Comics for letting us film in their store and harass their D&D group.
- Birdemic fan art image used with permission from Jeff Victor.
- Most graphics and visual assets created by Wicked Magpie Productions.
- Kickstarter video edited by Talia Chriqui. Thanks for all the revisions!
No, the Ultimate All-Digital Bundle is a limited reward that is not included in any other reward tier, HOWEVER, you can ADD the All-Digital Bundle to ANY other reward for an extra $100.
For instance, if you want the Deluxe Boxed Set (RARE COLLECTOR tier), you would choose that reward, then add an extra $100 to get both bundles.
REWARDS STACK, so you get tons of content for yourself and plenty to share with anyone else you think might want to try the game and play with you.
At $100, it is an absolute steal, as it includes the Lifetime VIP Pass (normally starting at $250), the Golden Rocket Launcher and Minigun (normally starting at $1,000), and a few in-game items that are not included in ANY other reward tier at all.
YES! All of the 8-bit carts are functional cartridges that will play a random NES game, though you can probably guess what game the special golden carts are....
You can read more about it at http://blog.72pins.com/FAQ.
YES! We plan to support this game indefinitely, so if the fans keep liking what we do, we'll keep doing it until the real zombie apocalypse! :)
YES! The story mode in Z. is a single-player experience with lots of extras packed in to keep the variety and replay value high.
There is also a single-player or cooperative RPG mode with hundreds of levels and randomized loot cards (Flaming Chainsaw +5)!
There will also be a single or cooperative mode tentatively called "Dungeons" that we're extremely excited about, but won't really start talking about that until we meet our funding goal since it's definitely beyond the scope of version 1.0.
OF COURSE! It wouldn't be much of a CCG without it.
Tournaments will be supported in-game, and we're also looking at allowing games to be spectated from a website, so you can see every move as it's made from the comfort of your browser, or go back and check the archives for previous tournaments!
YES! You will be able to trade cards with anyone on your friends list.
You will also be able to "scrap" duplicate cards for points towards unlocking new cards.
YES! Each starter deck consists of 60 cards, but there will be hundreds more at launch and eventually thousands to choose from, with multiple ways. You won't have to pay a dime to get new boosters and unlock rare cards -- you can do all of this naturally through gameplay.
FREE if you live in the United States.
For all international shipping, please add $15 to your pledge.
YES! The Lifetime VIP Pass will give you a free enhanced booster pack with at least two rares every week for the digital version of Z.
The physical boxed version of Z. is exclusive to this Kickstarter and will have a set amount of cards, whereas the digital version will be supported indefinitely, with new cards coming out at least once every month.
That would be the RARE COLLECTOR ($150).
$150 may seem like a little more than usual for a boxed game, but please keep in mind a few things: Manufacturing physical rewards takes away from funds for the actual game's development (which is why the all-digital bundles are such a good value).
You also get a number of other physical items, including the retro collectors carts.
Finally, the boxed edition of Z. is intended to be a premium one-of-a-kind collectors item exclusive to Kickstarter backers. We intend to create very high quality cards for this package, and will squeeze in as many extras as we can without breaking the bank.
Without a doubt, the Ultimate All-Digital Bundle is the way to go. It includes a ton of value that you'd otherwise only get starting at the $250 and $1000 levels. It also includes all six elite starter packs and a Filter Unlock Key for ALL of your cards -- something no other tier includes.
Since the Ultimate All-Digital Bundle is a limited pledge level, it is not included in any other rewards, but you can ADD it to any other reward tier for an extra $100.
It's a little pricey, but Hometown Apocalypse is one of our coolest rewards. The entire dev team will fly out to your town or city and create at least 20 cards that will appear in the game. This can include your friends and family, as well as popular landmarks or even your own home. We'll try not to splatter too much fake blood everywhere!
The VIP Bundle is less grandiose but more affordable, and will give you six copies of the game to share among whoever you wish, as well as five more tokens to unlock booster packs, so you can start customizing your decks right away.
Certain rewards can be gifted to another person. These include the character sketches and survivor/zombie transformations where we'll turn you (them) into a card for the game.
Physical rewards must all go to the same address, but once you have them you're free to gift them to whoever you want.
Read more about rewards here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/downwardviral/z-2/posts/247801
Yes, yes, and yes -- but WHEN they come depends on a few things. Those platforms, as much as we'd love to launch on them, are stretch goals. However, even if we don't hit our stretch goals, we'll still bring the game to those platforms eventually. Each one requires a dedicated engineer due to the amount of constant updates and new cards we'll be pushing out each month.
We want to localize Z. for as many countries and languages as possible. That's one of the things that getting over-funded on Kickstarter will benefit from greatly. Stay tuned for announcements regarding that as the Kickstarter campaign progresses.