Z. HAS BEEN FUNDED! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!
Z. is a zombies-versus-survivors downloadable trading card game best described as "Magic: The Gathering meets The Walking Dead" (and Left 4 Dead, and Dawn of the Dead, and Highschool of the Dead, and pretty much anything with "Dead" in the title). Are you a zombie, or are you a survivor? Choose your side!
Z. comes in two flavors: digital and a Kickstarter-exclusive physical boxed edition, but you can get both of them with a single pledge.
The Digital Version
What's that? You hate reading 100-page rulebooks? You hate shuffling cards every 10 seconds? You hate sorting through all of your cards trying to create the "best" deck possible? This is the version for you -- just start playing!
- Cross-platform play for iOS, PC, Android, Mac, Facebook, and Linux
- Single-player episodic story mode w/ live-action cutscenes!*
- Single or cooperative "RPG" mode with random loot, XP, and more!
- Turn-based multiplayer duels -- take your turn whenever you want!
- Auto-sort your library: instantly create custom decks to fit your playstyle!
- Intelligent matchmaking -- play against people with the same power decks
- Killstreaks, traps, and equipment sets bring elements of your favorite games to the trading card genre
- Unlock new cards naturally through gameplay!
Recommended Tier: The Ultimate All-Digital Bundle
ADD the Ultimate All-Digital Bundle to ANY pledge by including an extra $100.
*Live-action cinematics are produced by the same team behind the Left 4 Dead short film:
The Physical Version
For the old-school tabletop gamer, we haven't left you out! The Kickstarter-exclusive physical edition of Z. contains the following:
- A signed and numbered Deluxe Boxed Set
- Six different themed decks (three zombie, three survivor)
- Over 350+ cards!
- All physical editions are made equal, no booster packs or random distribution
Recommended Tier: Rare Collector
Exclusive to this Kickstarter campaign are a number of special guest survivor and zombie cards. We’ll be announcing as many as we can throughout the campaign, and they are automatically included at ALL backer levels ($15+), on top of any other bonus cards.
- Tim Schafer
- Ron Gilbert
- Tex Murphy
- Jessica Nigri
- Mr. Destructoid
- Grant Imahara (Mythbusters)
- The Zpocalypse 5
- Sean Baby (Cracked.com)
- Linda Le
- Monika Lee
- Al Lowe (Leisure Suit Larry)
- And more!
Z. comes packing rewards in both digital and physical form. Hopefully you think they're equally badass, as we’ve tried to come up with some seriously cool swag for everyone who supports and believes in our project.
- If all manner of digital goodness is your thing, we have enhanced game bundles to get you started off in Z. on the right foot, plus a ton of Kickstarter-exclusive cards that we’ll continue adding to throughout the campaign.
- If you prefer to hold and caress your swag, you can do that too thanks to the signed and numbered Kickstarter-exclusive Z. boxed sets and Art From the End of the World concept art book. We’ll never make these again! There are also some sweet retro Z. collectors carts. You won’t have to blow into these to make them shine next to all your other geek paraphernalia!
- If you want to be a card in Z. or even a recurring character in the live-action story episodes, it’ll cost a bit extra, but we promise to make it an experience you’ll never forget!
- And finally, you can view all the behind-the-scenes happenings of running a Kickstarter and making a trading card game, or dive into the VIP developer forums and discuss and vote on game features, new card ideas, and more!
Looking for the perfect backer level? We highly recommend the Ultimate All-Digital Bundle, as it includes a massive value and is limited to only 1,000 backers.
ULTIMATE ALL-DIGITAL BUNDLE
HELP US REACH OUR GOAL WITH THIS LIMITED EARLY BIRD SPECIAL!
The Ultimate All-Digital Bundle is limited and is NOT included in ANY other reward tiers. The Lifetime VIP Pass normally starts at the $250 backer level, the Golden Rocket Launcher and Minigun normally start at $1,000, and the Filter Unlock Key is exclusive to this reward ONLY.
- Start the game with all six Elite Edition Starter Packs for survivors and zombies (over 350 cards!)
- Lifetime VIP pass - one Enhanced Booster Pack every week!
- Five extra Elite Editions of the game to gift to anyone you want.
- Tokens to download five Elite Booster Packs with at least two rares in each pack.
- All 10 Kickstarter-exclusive rare cards.
- The Golden Rocket Launcher and Golden Minigun weapons.
- Permanently unlock any Filter type to use on all your cards.
- PDF of the Art From the End of the World concept art book.
- MP3 download of the official Z. soundtrack.
- Exclusive access to closed beta for Z. and future Downward Viral games.
- VIP access to the development forums and wiki.
- A personal phone call from the dev team thanking you for your support!
- NOW INCLUDES A PRINT-AND-PLAY VERSION!
Each month we sink our own (usually fake) blood, sweat, and (very real) paychecks into Z., and we’ll continue to do so. Co-founder Sebastian Haley even sold his car and beloved comic collection to get Downward Viral off the ground. But to make a game like Z. as awesome as it can be, we need the support of the Kickstarter community.
1. CREATED WITH YOU, FOR YOU!
We’re not asking for your money and then running off to make our game in the corner somewhere. Z. is meant to be a community project -- we’ll be talking to you every day, asking and listening to what you like or don’t like, going out to local comic shops and events like PAX and Comic-Con to play the game with you and get your feedback, and much more.
We’re creating this game with you, for you (assuming you’re a hardcore geek who loves zombies, that is). And of course, some of you will even be creating cards for the game or becoming survivor and zombie cards yourself!
2. CREATIVE FREEDOM!
Content was taken out of the final game and sold as Day One DLC? Publisher. Game was rushed out to meet an arbitrary holiday release date without being properly tested? Publisher. Entire studio gets closed down after releasing a solid game that failed to meet absurd sales targets? Publisher. Your company is voted the worst in America by the Consumerist? And so on and so forth.
Downward Viral will always remain independent, no matter how many personal heirlooms or comic collections or vats of plasma we have to sell to do it, or how many hours we have to work an extra job on the weekend to pay the licensing fees for our engine. We'll do whatever it takes. And that independence will result in better games and the creative freedom to work directly with our fans and supporters like you. We want to have full transparency about what we’re doing, and why we’re doing it, and that’s just one thing among many that you’ll never get once a publisher is involved.
So... which side are you on?
You're still here, huh? Well then you might be interested in checking out some potential card designs from our concept artists. Although we're using a lot of creative commons and license-free images for our mock-up cards right now, every card in Z. will feature original photography and horror effects created exclusively for the final game.
Here are just a few of the characters you may see in Z. in the coming months and years!
That last one is a personal favorite of a lot of the team... we'll definitely make it happen!
First and foremost, Downward Viral would like to thank Kickstarter and all of our backers for giving us the opportunity to do what we love without having to compromise our values or creative freedom. Thank you all so much!
- All concept art by Eric Belisle unless otherwise noted.
- Left 4 Dead film footage used with permission from Northern Five Entertainment.
- Special thanks to Meltdown Comics for letting us film in their store and harass their D&D group.
- Birdemic fan art image used with permission from Jeff Victor.
- Most graphics and visual assets created by Wicked Magpie Productions.
- Kickstarter video edited by Talia Chriqui. Thanks for all the revisions!
- (30 days)