- Venice Beach is the 2nd-largest tourist attraction in Southern California after Disneyland.
- Venice is the birthplace of modern skateboarding and home to the legendary Z-Boys skateboard team.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger pumped iron there back in the 1960's.
- Jim Morrison used to sleep on a rooftop behind the Venice Boardwalk, where he wrote the lyrics to some of The Doors biggest hits.
Not so fun facts
- Median home prices in Venice are now over $2 million.
- Median rent prices for a 2-bedroom apartment in Venice is over $5,000. That's more than in nearby Santa Monica and 2nd only to Beverly Hills.
- Snapchat has transformed Venice Beach into its corporate campus with over 1800 employees across 35 different locations occupying 305,000 square feet of space and displacing local residents, artists, small businesses and even a homeless youth shelter.
Why the book?
While over 10 Million tourists visit the Venice Boardwalk each year, very few get to see it from the inside and understand the immense cultural treasure that is at risk of disappearing.
Dotan lives a few minutes away from Venice and was able to spend hundreds of hours on the Venice boardwalk over a period of 3 years to document many aspects of the Venice Beach culture through the raw candid moments he captured.
As a documentary photographer Dotan felt a responsibility and urgency to create a visual account of this endangered culture as its days may be counted.
The book will be 9"x12" (23x30cm) hard cover, 130-140 pages long, and include 65-70 photographs beautifully reproduced in duotone on high-end paper.
Most of the images will be printed large as a spread across 2 pages so you can fully appreciate all the fine details. Below are just a few of the images that will be featured in the book.
Note that not all the images shown in the Kickstarter video will be included in the book but many others will. Hey, we want to make sure you have a few surprises to look forward to!
Despite the fine-art style of the work, all photographs included in this book were shot and processed according to photo documentary standards: None of the subjects were posed or staged and nothing was photoshopped in or out of the images.
A few photographs from the book
Here are just a few of the images in the book. Some of them are included as reference to rewards offered to the right. You can cross reference them by the image name.
Published by Kehrer Verlag
Kehrer Verlag is among the world’s leading publishers of photo books. Founded in 1995 by Klaus Kehrer, it is one of the few independent publishing houses in Germany.
Kehrer Verlag has published acclaimed photographers such as Martin Parr, Saul Leiter, Bruce Gilden, Alain Laboile, and many others.
Why a Kickstarter?
You may legitimately ask: With a complete body of work and a great publisher signed-on, why raise funds on Kickstarter?
The answer is simple: The days of publishers paying for everything are long gone and book authors like Dotan are now out of pocket for:
- Hiring a photo editor to help selecting and sequencing the images.
- Subsidizing extras in the printing of the book (i.e. higher paper quality, caption booklet, etc.).
- Publicizing the book in countries not extensively covered by the publisher's PR effort.
- Paying for all the travel expenses of a book tour.
All of which is why your participation to the project is so important and much appreciated! The more funds raised here the greater the budget to afford the best printing options, publicize the book in the US and elsewhere, exhibit the work, travel for presentations and trade shows, etc.
About Dotan Saguy
Previously a high-tech entrepreneur and amateur street photographer, Dotan entered the world of professional documentary photography as a second career.
Dotan recently started teaching workshops for the Leica Akademie. He is a proud alumni of the Eddie Adams Workshop, the Missouri Photo Workshop and studied photojournalism at Santa Monica College. His award winning photographs have been published by National Geographic, PDN, Leica Fotografie International, The Leica Blog, ABC News, Smithsonian, etc.
More information about Dotan's journey from a street photography hobby to professional documentary photography can be found in this insightful presentation he delivered at the B&H Event Space in New York in late 2016.
Risks and challenges
There are no risks to this project. This book is already in the works: German book publisher Kehrer Verlag is publishing Venice Beach and launching it in summer 2018.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (35 days)