We're proud to be making this compelling documentary about the life of Gary Gygax and the world-changing advent of Dungeons & Dragons.
Gary Gygax was one of the great minds of the 20th century – his innovations have influenced generations of artists and spawned tens of billions of dollars in global revenue.
With Dungeons & Dragons, Gary crafted a vehicle for engaging the mind at a creative, analytical, social and even emotional level - all at the same time. There is truly nothing else like it.
Gary's work has woven itself into the fabric of our culture, yet there is no monument to recognize him, not even in his own hometown. We intend this project to be a filmic monument of sorts – a high-quality, emotionally engaging record of Gary’s story that can be appreciated by gamers and non-gamers alike for generations to come.
As a lifelong player of D&D, I feel this project has been a dream come true. I've met so many of my idols, made so many friends, and developed a deeper understanding of Gary Gygax and his magical game.
This movie has been three years in the making and is now just months from being completed. We have dozens of interviews and hours of other great footage, and in a rough cut, it already tells a compelling story.
With your support, we can bring it across the finish line by giving the movie high-end color grading, sound mixing and additional archival photos and video. We have a talented post-production team in place and ready to work as soon as we fund.
Please help us bring Gary's inspiring story to life and create a lasting addition to his legacy.
- Pat Kilbane, Director
- Peter Adkison – former CEO of WOTC, owner of Gen Con
- Mike Carr – TSR 1976-83, editor of AD&D core rulebooks
- Rob Cohen – writer/director, Big Bang Theory, The Simpsons
- Lee Gold – publisher of Alarums & Excursions
- Bill Hoyt – original Blackmoor player, C&C Society member
- Jim Lowder - author, former editor of TSR’s fiction line
- Jon Peterson – game historian, author of Playing at the World and Art & Arcana
- Paul Stormberg – game historian, founder of The Collector’s Trove
- Dan Wagner – D&D early adopter, creator of the thief class
- Dave Wesely – creator of the first roleplaying game "Braunstein"
- …and many more!
- Add One DVD or Blu Ray - For an additional $40 – add an additional DVD or Blu Ray of the film to your existing reward package.*
- Add One Box Set - For an additional $85 – add an additional Collector's Edition Box Set to your existing reward package.*
If you would like either of the add-ons, simply increase your pledge amount by the amount stated above.
* Includes the physical product and free domestic shipping only - no screen credit or digital download.
Want to make your reward a gift before the estimated fulfillment date? Backers will have access to download and print a custom note to slip into a holiday or birthday card.
Free domestic shipping within the United States is included for every pledge $50 USD and higher. International shipping is an additional $30 USD. These rates also include reward shipments with any number of add-ons.
DVDs, Blu Rays, and Collector’s Sets will be shipping to backers from our distributors in the United States via the United States Postal Service (USPS).
We would truly appreciate you helping us get the word out! Sharing this kickstarter on social media will let your friends know about this project and help increase pledges to reach our funding goal and unlock additional stretch goals!
Risks and challenges
Movie making is an endeavor that demands Napoleonic attention to detail, and there are many, many moving parts. Locating and licensing archival materials can be time consuming and expensive. Musical scoring, if done well, is a huge undertaking unto itself. Every job requires a technical expert.
That said, we have been very diligent in our research and preparation; we have a professional team and thorough plans in place for not only the completion of the film, but also the manufacturing and distribution of the rewards.
We realize that some of you may have had difficulties in the past backing films in this genre, so we have taken extra measures to ensure you have a good experience with our campaign:
• An experienced Kickstarter consultant with over twenty campaigns under his belt
• No stickers, T-shirts or posters for rewards; we're keeping our focus squarely on the film
• Small number of reward levels to keep the campaign streamlined
• Contingency plans for each department of post-production so we won't be derailed by the loss of any single element
- (30 days)